Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Four A-Levels or Gap Year or Foundation Year???

ReputationRep:
    Basically I am considering a Physics/ Physic related degree, however I got an E in maths and my school didn't allow me to continue to A2.

All Physics related degrees says I need Maths A-level.
    Do you think I can cope doing four a levels (physics, maths, history and sociology)? Baring in mind I am not the smartest, I got BBB in my other subjects...although this was mostly due a lack of motivation.

If not, is it better to do a foundation degree in physics or do a whole maths a-level within my gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missdecember)
    Basically I am considering a Physics/ Physic related degree, however I got an E in maths and my school didn't allow me to continue to A2.

All Physics related degrees says I need Maths A-level.
    Do you think I can cope doing four a levels (physics, maths, history and sociology)? Baring in mind I am not the smartest, I got BBB in my other subjects...although this was mostly due a lack of motivation.

If not, is it better to do a foundation degree in physics or do a whole maths a-level within my gap year?
    I currently do a chemistry degree and there are people in my course who haven't done maths A-level whatsoever.
    I just had my first lecture for chemistry for the maths module yesterday and I found it extremely easy have done a-level maths however the people who didn't had no clue what was going on.
    I think I recommend doing a foundation year because they will teach you the maths required as not all of a-level maths is relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    I currently do a chemistry degree and there are people in my course who haven't done maths A-level whatsoever.
    I just had my first lecture for chemistry for the maths module yesterday and I found it extremely easy have done a-level maths however the people who didn't had no clue what was going on.
    I think I recommend doing a foundation year because they will teach you the maths required as not all of a-level maths is relevant.
    My concern about you self teaching A-Level maths is that if you didn't get AS level then I'm not sure you'd managed. Maybe you could if you sorted a suitable learning style though.

TBH although there is a cost implication I think that getting accepted onto a suitable foundation year leading to a degree, although you might get some issues with the E grade as admissions might be asking if you could handle the work which you'd have to convince them that you will

ReputationRep:
    Physics at degree level is basically applied maths. In your situation I would drop sociology (or history) and retake AS maths, if that is still possible. You don't need 4 A levels, but you do need to get good grades in maths and physics.

Foundation years for physics tend to fall into two categories: those like Southampton who recruit people who took the wrong A levels, but got high grades (ABB), or those like Manchester, who accept people with the right A levels but with lower grades (BBC). You could look at foundation years with universities that are lower down the rankings, such as Hertfordshire, but the worry is that you don't know whether you would be able to cope with the maths before committing yourself to that foundation year, which will add an extra year to your student debt. A gap year, living at home and knuckling down to some hard studying would be a safer and cheaper option.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.