Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Parts of speech for "... eyes of such a very undecided blue ..."

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am truly puzzled and shocked today in class.

My English teacher told me that
    very --> adverb
    undecided --> verb
    blue --> adjective

To the matter of truth, I had to approach her and express my concern.

So, I told her that my take on this is that
    very --> adverb
    undecided --> adjective
    blue --> noun

I explained that adv + verb + adj just doesn't work as a structure and "something of something" (eyes of ... blue) has to be "noun of noun", not "noun of adjective", if we simplified the language.

She insisted that this is Dickens' creative writing and the structure doesn't have to be as traditional as I see it.

Furthermore, I raised the example of dark blue, with dark being the adjective and blue being the noun. She still said no and told me that blue is still an adjective.

Can anyone explain to me how her analysis works? I truly cannot see it.

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ntulearning)
    I am truly puzzled and shocked today in class.

My English teacher told me that
    very --> adverb
    undecided --> verb
    blue --> adjective

To the matter of truth, I had to approach her and express my concern.

So, I told her that my take on this is that
    very --> adverb
    undecided --> adjective
    blue --> noun

I explained that adv + verb + adj just doesn't work as a structure and "something of something" (eyes of ... blue) has to be "noun of noun", not "noun of adjective", if we simplified the language.

She insisted that this is Dickens' creative writing and the structure doesn't have to be as traditional as I see it.

Furthermore, I raised the example of dark blue, with dark being the adjective and blue being the noun. She still said no and told me that blue is still an adjective.

Can anyone explain to me how her analysis works? I truly cannot see it.

Thanks a lot.
    It's a matter of context. Language is guided by what is effective rather than what is logical, so it is not always easy to fit words into a category.
    So, for your example: 'decide' is a verb, but it is not possible to 'undecide', and so you are correct; 'undecided' is an adjective.

However, in the phrase 'dark blue', blue is also an adjective. Nouns are 'things', and blue doesn't exist except as a description of something else. If he had written 'she had blue eyes', blue would definitely be an adjective. You can have several adjectives in a row, such as 'My old, rusty, dirty, green broken-down car.'

However (again!) there are exceptions. For example, when choosing a paint colour for your room you might say 'I like the red'. Red appears to act like a noun. It could be argued though that this is actually ellipsis, and what you mean is 'I like the red (paint)', where 'paint is the unspoken noun.
    It is more straightforward, and possibly more accurate, to look at 'such a very undecided blue' as an adjectival phrase. In other words, all five words together describe one colour.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

My understanding is

Dark blue --> a type of blue --> blue is a noun (dark is the adj, describing the blue)
    Dark blue shirt --> a type of shirt --> blue is an adj.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 29, 2016
Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.