Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

M405 – Recognition of the 1915–1923 Armenian Genocide Motion 2016 Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    M405 – Recognition of the 1915–1923 Armenian Genocide Motion 2016, barnetlad MP
    This House believes that the United Kingdom as a whole should follow the decision of the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to recognise that the deaths of at least 500,000 Armenians killed by the Ottoman Empire between 1915 and 1923 as Genocide.

This House believes that it should be regarded as one of the Genocides of the 20th Century, and where Genocide and other mass killing is taught as part of a History syllabus at schools and universities, it be recognised as such. This House also indicates its support for memorial events and the commemorations of the Armenian Genocide.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Agreed too
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Damn why didn't I think of this one.

Aye of course.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't we already done this?

If not, aye (and before anyone says, yes, this should be a Motion, not a Bill).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Meh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye. We should recognise it.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely aye.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not much has to be said other than Aye - though I thought this had been done already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As Foreign Sec i say Abstain, this government looks to the future and not the past.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    100% aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    As Foreign Sec i say Abstain, this government looks to the future and not the past.
    But you must accept the past in order to move on into the future.

I thought this had been done, if not however then aye, this was literally the event for which the term genocide was coined for if I recall my history correctly.

ReputationRep:
    It's the least we can do to accept what happened and learn from it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    But you must accept the past in order to move on into the future.

I thought this had been done, if not however then aye, this was literally the event for which the term genocide was coined for if I recall my history correctly.
    Much more the holocaust, the term wasn't coined until 1944

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Much more the holocaust, the term wasn't coined until 1944

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was an Armenian source I got the information from so it may have been slightly biased, although I'm interested now so I'll do some reading on it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise this wasn't already classified as a genocide but if it isn't, a firm aye from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I didn't realise this wasn't already classified as a genocide but if it isn't, a firm aye from me.
    There has been hot debate concerning it for such a long time. Unfortunately I had a Turkish father and his perspective was incredibly biased.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.