Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

B1060 – National Curriculum (First Aid) Bill 2016 Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B1060 – National Curriculum (First Aid) Bill 2016, TSR Green Party
    National Curriculum (First Aid) Bill 2016

A BILL TO
    Introduce First Aid into the National Curriculum

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Primary Education

1. During primary education 3 hours per month must be allocated to the teaching of basic first aid

2. The teaching of basic first aid must cover how to deal with minor and deteriorating conditions in any casualty, including;

a. communication and casualty care
    b. looking after yourself and the casualty
    c.treatment of minor bleeding and minor burns
    d. treatment of an unresponsive casualty
    e. priorities of first aid and managing the scene
    f. treatment of a choking casualty
    g. treatment of fainting, bites and stings, sprains and strains.

2. Secondary Education

1. During secondary education 2 hours per month must be allocated to the teaching of essential and basic first aid

2. The teaching of essential and basic first aid must cover emergency life support techniques as well as how to deal with minor and deteriorating conditions in any casualty, including;

a. Bites and stings
    b. Burns
    c. Severe and minor bleeds
    d. Chest pains
    e. Choking in adults
    f. Fainting
    g. Adult resuscitation
    h. Sprains and strains
    i. Treatment of an unresponsive casualty
    j. Priorities of first aid and managing the scene
    k. Communication and casualty care.

3. During secondary education 1 hour per month must be allocated to the teaching of essential first aid for all ages

4. The teaching of essential first aid for all ages must cover emergency life support procedures for adults, children and infants, including;

a. Communication and casualty care
    b.Looking after yourself and the casualty
    c. Adult, child and infant resuscitation
    d. Treatment of severe bleeding and chest pain
    e. Treatment of choking in adults, children and infants
    f. Treatment of an unresponsive casualty.

3. Commencement, short title and extent

1. This Act shall commence immediately following Royal Assent.
    2. This Act may be referred to as the National Curriculum (First Aid) Act 2016.
    3. The Act shall apply to Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Notes

Only 7% of the UK are trained and confident to perform first aid and only 9% of parents are trained and confident to perform first aid if their child is in need. This shows the need for first aid in schools as children can't rely on their parents to teach them because their parents don't know it. Research shows that basic first aid can be taught to children as young as 5 years old.

As more people learn first aid, they can pass on their knowledge to other people. Compared to our 7%, 85% of the German population are trained and confident to perform first aid. In Germany, first aid is on their national curriculum and you can't take a driving test unless you're qualified in first aid.

If we teach our kids first aid we can produce a generation of life savers to put an end to the 150,000 deaths per year that could be prevented by someone on hand who's been trained in first aid.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Aye!

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

Perhaps also make it compulsory for schools to make it known various organisations which offer further training?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nahh.

ReputationRep:
    3 hours per month for 7 years and then 2 hours per month for another 5 is probably overkill, no?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It takes 341 hours to teach this stuff and you expect 4 and 5 year old to have any idea what's going on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye, even minor training could save one life.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, it should be the schools' decision whether or not they teach this and they should be free to do so as they see fit.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain at the moment. I don't think younger primary school children should be included in this - they can't really be expected to understand or put it into practice, after all - and I query why more time is not being allocated for first aid teaching in secondary school. Surely more advanced first aid, which would take more time, should be taught in secondary? Also, what's the difference between 'essential and basic' first aid and 'essential' first aid?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This looks incredibly similar to something I remember writing last year, except you cocked it up by introducing it at primary level.

I'd also like to see costings, purely out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    In hindsight I do have to tackle the primary school addition. Also, I think it should be only for secondary schools.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather extend the brilliant work already done by groups such as St. John's ambulance and fund them to a do sessions with schools. I had the pleasure of talking to some of their young recruits at labour conference and it was really inspiring. I don't think putting the cost on schools when there already are brilliant free services teaching first aid is the best solution to the proper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I'd rather extend the brilliant work already done by groups such as St. John's ambulance and fund them to a do sessions with schools. I had the pleasure of talking to some of their young recruits at labour conference and it was really inspiring. I don't think putting the cost on schools when there already are brilliant free services teaching first aid is the best solution to the proper
    Well said!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    First aid and other such important life skills should be bundled up and better taught.

Whilst most schools put aside lessons for each of these skills it's normally disregarded with little effort put into the lessons ; by both teachers and students.

A greater emphasis on first aid and other skills should be ensured as a lesson on it's own - with such limited hours in a school week it's better to get a little bit of everything than a lot of nothing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    abstain
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So how are you fitting this into the national curriculum? Because right now it seems like you are adding hours to the school day.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. I absolutely agree with the principle. However, I share the views of others on primary school first aid. I also would like you to clarify where you are going to find the extra time in the school day. Fix these things and I might vote aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    A better way of doing it would be a total number of hours per year because obviously months have variable term time, as do terms. I think the concern over finding time isn't really that great, especially if the time needed is cut.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A promising idea, however some thought will have to go into the most suitable amount of time required to spend on it and whether or not Primary school children will be mature enough to deal with this sort of thing could be put into question.
    For example: some children might get easily scared by the thought of someone choking etc...

As for when/how long it should be done. It could be introduced in a weekly lesson (development lesson (had at my old Secondary School))/in form time or there could be an "enrichment" time every few weeks where some first aid is learnt.
    This is invaluable and should be implemented so that at times when an adult is not around, they are not helpless.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    This is also an extremely wise idea. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The idea is great, the application not so much. I think that if it were edited/altered with an emphasis on getting outside sources to come in, then it could work.

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.