The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Elipsis
They also have easier entry. A girl my friend knows got into JP Morgan just for being female and half asian, she had the qualifications but didn't need to do anything at the interview but turn up.

do you think that's the same for med/dentist/law schools?

or university-entry in general?
Reply 181
mabe_uk
Lol, well as long as they do this, ill just exploit it as a black guy, since I have lower qualifications than my white counterparts.

Because my "potential" 1st Class degree from Cambridge will be scaled higher than the other guys degree, it puts me in the best position according to your logic.

If you got a 1st from Cambridge you'd be well in for pretty much any job in the country.
Reply 182
hermaphrodite
do you think that's the same for med/dentist/law schools?

or university-entry in general?

I'm not too sure, I think it might be for women in science based stuff like physics. As for discrimination on race they don't get to know the race of a person on the application, unless their name is like Li Yung or something of course.
Reply 183
Why do so many black people moan?(I am part black myself). We have many great role models. you just have to look hard enough( obama, Sir Trevor MacDonald and Oprah etc.)
If you think there aren't enough role models, then why don't you strive to be one then!
You can excel no matter what your race or background. So stop moaning and complaining and just get on with it. Remember Actions speak louder then Words!

Thanks
Reply 184
Elipsis
1+2) It's not contradictory. They have a lower chance of being prosecuted, but commit far more crime as a % when compared to white people.
3) They launch these events because black people don't bother to apply through the normal route, which they are perfectly eligible to do, but if you can get in easier then why bother? The joke is that if 2 people go for a job, let's say person A and person B, then the best person will get the job. But wait a minute, nobody that's the same colour as person B bothers to apply, so regardless of if person A is better we have to give person B the job so we don't look racist. JOKE.
4) Yet again, I AM NOT SAYING THAT WHITE PEOPLE DO NOT COMMIT CRIME. I am saying that a far greater number of black youths are allowed out after dark at young ages with nothing to do.
5) You don't really have a reply worth noting. O look Shameless has portrayed white people committing crime and taking hard drugs, that gives me the right to behave in such a way. Yeah right.

Congratz, you've successfully diverted all of my comments. At least you havent given the impression your racist, you just seem overtly naive - almost to the point of denying the existence of institutional racism in this country. As the poster above said, we still need to push forward but pretending the problems arent there isnt the right way to go about it.
As for the media, i could offer you countless examples.

Now before you get the wrong impression, i have nothing against any race creed or colour, neither am i some raving lunatic hell bent on accusing everyone and anyone of racism. It just troubles me when people are happy to attribute the cause of problems of many black people, solely to themselves.
Reply 185
hermaphrodite
do black people need higher or more qualifications than their white counterpart in order to get into the same position?

i'd speak my mind but you wouldnt believe me. Surely the bbc cant be crazy too though?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3885213.stm
Elipsis
If you got a 1st from Cambridge you'd be well in for pretty much any job in the country.

i've recently been having exchanges on this forum with a guy who graduated with a first from cambridge and he is still unemployed
Reply 187
hermaphrodite
i've recently been having exchanges on this forum with a guy who graduated with a first from cambridge and he is still unemployed

What course? I hear English is quite hard to get employed with.
Reply 188
Forté
Congratz, you've successfully diverted all of my comments. At least you havent given the impression your racist, you just seem overtly naive - almost to the point of denying the existence of institutional racism in this country. As the poster above said, we still need to push forward but pretending the problems arent there isnt the right way to go about it.
As for the media, i could offer you countless examples.

Now before you get the wrong impression, i have nothing against any race creed or colour, neither am i some raving lunatic hell bent on accusing everyone and anyone of racism. It just troubles me when people are happy to attribute the cause of problems of many black people, solely to themselves.

Nobody said it would be easy, but from what I can see black people are more prone towards crime if it means they have to work less. Gangs are pre-dominantly black, drug dealers are too, as are pimps. To consistantly blame this on circumstances outside of their control is to let it continue, we need to tell them to fix up and sort it out for their own good.
Reply 189
Elipsis
Nobody said it would be easy, but from what I can see black people are more prone towards crime if it means they have to work less. Gangs are pre-dominantly black, drug dealers are too, as are pimps. To consistantly blame this on circumstances outside of their control is to let it continue, we need to tell them to fix up and sort it out for their own good.

How many gangs in this country have you seen? How many drug dealers in this country have you seen? How many pimps in this country have you seen? See what i mean about harmful stereotypes? :rolleyes:

I agree with your last point though, as well as understanding the circumstances we're in, we cant just let it dictate us.
Reply 190
Forté
How many gangs in this country have you seen? How many drug dealers in this country have you seen? How many pimps in this country have you seen? See what i mean about harmful stereotypes? :rolleyes:

I agree with your last point though, as well as understanding the circumstances we're in, we cant just let it dictate us.

On panorama last night it was said that pimping is done almost exclusively by black people and asian people. I've seen plenty of gangs, and bought plenty of drugs to know that the majority of drug dealers are black.
Elipsis
What course? I hear English is quite hard to get employed with.

music
Political apartheid seems to be the norm these days. :frown:
Reply 193
Elipsis
I've seen plenty of gangs, and bought plenty of drugs to know that the majority of drug dealers are black.[/QU
depends on were you live. there are black white asian asian drug dealers and as this country is majority white Id expect that they are the majority of drug dealers.
Find it slightly amusing that people label drugs with black people. I bet the majority of dealers, who get the shipments (first step dealers if you like) and distribute it to gang leaders on the streets (taking The Wire as an example) are white. Same thing with guns, there's more white middle class involvement with that than you realise.
Reply 195
NDGAARONDI
Find it slightly amusing that people label drugs with black people. I bet the majority of dealers, who get the shipments (first step dealers if you like) and distribute it to gang leaders on the streets (taking The Wire as an example) are white. Same thing with guns, there's more white middle class involvement with that than you realise.

Its only a minority of people though, spoiling the image of the majority. On a serious note the black people that are the good role models simply are not going to be promoted as the media doesn't want to paint this image.
This may be un-PC, but to be honest, doesn't it seem like these negative role models are only mimicked because of this general perception that you will be greatly oppressed from the start? It's like these rappers etc are (generally) seen as those who have "gotten the best of the system". I'm not talking generally just about black kids, but some other ethnic minorities and even those from a different background class.

Either way, whatever you background/ethnicity I stand by the fact that parents should be role models, and if they are so goddamned stupid to reproduce and not look after their kids then they should be made sterile.
Reply 197
The point ive already made is, parents and role models can only do so much. I mean, are you telling me your parents control and know of everything you get up to? Yet im not about to call them bad parents :rolleyes:

I agree with your first point though, people still need to make moves to break out of the repetitive cycle.
mabe_uk
On a serious note the black people that are the good role models simply are not going to be promoted as the media doesn't want to paint this image.

I'm not sure. Depends what you've seen and what your opinion is. I've seen Leona Lewis and Sir Tevor McDonald portrayed as a role model. I don't really pay too much attention to the media for various reasons, mainly selective reporting (e.g. coverage of Madelein McCann and compare it to Shannon Matthews).
Reply 199
NDGAARONDI

I think you'll find that nearly all the heroin in london comes from Turkish people.

Latest

Trending

Trending