The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NSiky
Absolutely. It doesn't take into account at all that they mug people, too.

:eek:

Mind you, i only just managed to resist making a comment about Zebra's and spear throwing in my origional post.
WOW! I smell niavety and ignorance..

There is no such thing as 'black' people - its a imperialistic label part of a pathetic attempt to justify social darwinism and racial speciesm to gain and maintain power.
Ghost Grey
There is no such thing as 'black' people -

What?
Reply 63
Ghost Grey
WOW! I smell niavety and ignorance..

There is no such thing as 'black' people - its a imperialistic label part of a pathetic attempt to justify social darwinism and racial speciesm to gain and maintain power.

People are people..no we are not all equal, but we all have the same value. :smile:

Yeah, my utopian views may be some what optimistic, but its better of 'every human for themselves'

Touching, but we don't live in a Utopian world. If we're avoiding treading on egg shells and ignore race and social class we are going to have more problems. Say what you like, labels will always be there, and peoples identities include 'race', it will be foolish to think otherwise.
Reply 64
Get someone to take them to the zoo or something. Stop bothering me, I don't know.

I reckon the summer is driving Gilliwoo mad.

Im not sure lifestyles are identical. black kids i know mix with the same people i do, hence why i know them. But every one dresses baggy and owns an array of basketball tops and can name more rappers than i can historical figures. I reckon theres some sort of difference, i just cant be assed articulating why and its dinner time.
doggyfizzel
After the whole slavery thing, anyone saying anything about black people lives is often taken to be speaking offensively, unless you know someone very closely its not a good idea to make any sort of comment. This is because when someone (usually white) makes a comment is usually a negative one.

had a black guy come into my work place one time and called the white person who served him "cracker". I was far from impressed. He was told to leave.

Where i work we see a lot of people (i work for the NHS) and i can say from my experiance (without relying on "statistics") that those of afro carribean descent seem to be more agressive and violent those who have been born in this country. Even a women who works with me (wh is afro carribean) agrees that young black carribean men are very aggressive with no manners. Those of african descent tend to be better behaved. This of course is not an aboslute.
Reply 66
cpj1987
Racist to everyone. Why focus on only one race?

I don't think that's what the OP is even suggesting. The question is "Do black boys need better role models?" and is clearly asked in the context of underachievement/social problems as they relate in a very much more aggravated way than in whites.

And don't even bother giving me a "right-on PC" answer to this or suggest that these problems are no worse in the black community than the white. Let's not bury our heads in the sand here.
Howard
I don't think that's what the OP is even suggesting. The question is "Do black boys need better role models?" and is clearly asked in the context of underachievement/social problems as they relate in a very much more aggravated way than in whites.

And don't even bother giving me a "right-on PC" answer to this or suggest that these problems are no worse in the black community than the white. Let's not bury our heads in the sand here.

Thank you.
Hmm, well I blame the media entirely for glorifying gun crime and gangland culture of the US - and the way it is reported it is hard not to associate these things with Black men. I'd love to see more black men in politics, in the law system, and in education. I believe us whites still hold this power "thang" and in return, this leaves black members of a lower socio-economical background only one option.

Who knows, maybe in 50 years time such issues will be addressed, but somehow I doubt it.

The only question I can put out to "black boys" is look hard and look deep. Go back in time and see the history of your colour. Martin Luther King is an obvious choice for a role model, but today, there are no equals. Well, I guess Nelson Mandela...but who else? I blame the media some more.
What about chavs?
It's more to do with where they grew up and who they grew up around. I think black parents need to steer clear of areas like Hackney if they want to raise decent boys.
I'm white but i don't see any role models for me either. Who is there, david beckham? tony blair?
Reply 71
Music_Enthusiast
I'm white but i don't see any role models for me either. Who is there, david beckham? tony blair?

I think they mean role models that are visible in your community, not successful, famous people.
AesopRock
I think they mean role models that are visible in your community, not successful, famous people.

Such as... my dad? My friend's dads??
Reply 73
you dont need a role model to know not to get involved in crime, drugs and generally being a ****ing idiot. Its called having a brain and some self respect.
Reply 74
Consie
you dont need a role model to know not to get involved in crime, drugs and generally being a ****ing idiot. Its called having a brain and some self respect.

:ditto: Who'd have thunk it.
if i were black i would feel betrayed and let down by what the media try's portray black roll models.

yu can look back in history to find roll models none the less but there are very few in the public eye atm that are anything to aim to be.

as malcom x said "if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

soemthing along them lines anyway.
Reply 76
I don't think I've ever heard such utter ignorant rubbish. To suppose that black boys are any less socially adept that the socio-economic equivalent in the white community is at best ignorant and at worst downright racist. All of my black friends are in fact the most socially developed and sensible people I know. Now it is true that a gun-culture has developed around the rap scene, affecting an absolutely miniscule, immeasurably small proportion of the overall black community, and remarkably exaggerated by the press... but how the hell does that have anything to do with race? There are equivalent cultures in the white community, not least those who believe that raping and abusing women is acceptable. Again, a minuscule number of people. And nobody says that 'white boys need better role models'. And members of both races are also involved in both of these cultural problems. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. Zero. Zilch. Nothing. All that this sort of ridiculous racial stereotyping and labelling will do is to increase racial tension, at a time when the whole negative concept of racial difference should be eliminated from our society.
Yawn, here we go again. The black guy I saw this morning driving his Ferrari through the City obviously didn't know he needed better role models, and certainly didn't seem to know that the colour of his skin would stop him achieving anything much.

Perhaps it's all boys who need male role models - there are hardly any male teachers of any colour any more and whenever a couple split up it's 90% likely the mother gets custody of the kids so they don't even have a father to act as a role model.
Consie

Indeed.

However, when you see no options and have a desire for money, power and status, crime is often the most appropriate way.
Reply 79
Pernell Whitaker
Indeed.

However, when you see no options and have a desire for money, power and status, crime is often the most appropriate way.

They are too stupid to see that they'll always just be foot soldiers and never anything better, its totally beyond them to think that if they channeled their efforts into something productive they could be millionaires.

Latest

Trending

Trending