Turn on thread page Beta

Do black boys need better role models? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    you dont need a role model to know not to get involved in crime, drugs and generally being a ****ing idiot. Its called having a brain and some self respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    you dont need a role model to know not to get involved in crime, drugs and generally being a ****ing idiot. Its called having a brain and some self respect.
    :ditto: Who'd have thunk it.

ReputationRep:
    if i were black i would feel betrayed and let down by what the media try's portray black roll models.

yu can look back in history to find roll models none the less but there are very few in the public eye atm that are anything to aim to be.

as malcom x said "if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

soemthing along them lines anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever heard such utter ignorant rubbish. To suppose that black boys are any less socially adept that the socio-economic equivalent in the white community is at best ignorant and at worst downright racist. All of my black friends are in fact the most socially developed and sensible people I know. Now it is true that a gun-culture has developed around the rap scene, affecting an absolutely miniscule, immeasurably small proportion of the overall black community, and remarkably exaggerated by the press... but how the hell does that have anything to do with race? There are equivalent cultures in the white community, not least those who believe that raping and abusing women is acceptable. Again, a minuscule number of people. And nobody says that 'white boys need better role models'. And members of both races are also involved in both of these cultural problems. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. Zero. Zilch. Nothing. All that this sort of ridiculous racial stereotyping and labelling will do is to increase racial tension, at a time when the whole negative concept of racial difference should be eliminated from our society.

ReputationRep:
    Yawn, here we go again. The black guy I saw this morning driving his Ferrari through the City obviously didn't know he needed better role models, and certainly didn't seem to know that the colour of his skin would stop him achieving anything much.

Perhaps it's all boys who need male role models - there are hardly any male teachers of any colour any more and whenever a couple split up it's 90% likely the mother gets custody of the kids so they don't even have a father to act as a role model.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    Indeed.

However, when you see no options and have a desire for money, power and status, crime is often the most appropriate way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pernell Whitaker)
    Indeed.

However, when you see no options and have a desire for money, power and status, crime is often the most appropriate way.
    They are too stupid to see that they'll always just be foot soldiers and never anything better, its totally beyond them to think that if they channeled their efforts into something productive they could be millionaires.

ReputationRep:
    why do people keep on having this debate on this forum when nothing really gets said after 30 pages or so of alot of nonsense.

dionysus fact of the matter is, are you stupid? i find it so annoying when people take a small group of black people and use them in order to downplay the idea that there is a problem in the black community. Taking into consideration virtually all high profile jobs and positions of influence/power etc, what proportion of black people do you see taking these up in comparison to whites? last time i checked, whites held a disproportionatly large number of these positions. nobody said that the reason why the problems exists in much of the black community is specifically because of skin colour but rather a number of issues which have the effect of a downward spiral. fair enough both white and black communtieis have individuals who can be classed as trouble makers but consider the propotions of each involved. jeez

to ghost grey, the sentiment is a nice one but we live in the real world and the majority of people do not share yours views although if everyone did alot of the issues we talk about wouldnt exist in the first place. You call members of this board nieve for thinking the way they do, but your 50 cent concert story doesnt validate your view in the slightest. ASide fromt he fact that your value of 97% has most likely been plucked fromt he air, the spectators at a concert are hardly indicative of whether or not black children need role models. id call it nieve to think it was.....

to be honest i cant be bothered to write anymore in this box beacause im annoyed at so many of the comments ive seen written down here. i know people have more to post but so far im shocked at some of the bs ive heard so far.

just be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    They are too stupid to see that they'll always just be foot soldiers and never anything better, its totally beyond them to think that if they channeled their efforts into something productive they could be millionaires.
    Maybe it is stupidity in the way it manifests itself, but the mere fact they resort to such things is not borne of innate stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    elipsis i take it your in a position of relative comfort is your belief is that stupidity is the reason that most people turn to crime. id like to see you living a life where many of the people around you had turuned to crime and wer profiting from it. where you werent doing great at school and the very few kids that were are the ones the teachers focus on almost entirely. where dont believe that you can work hard enough to get the kind of grades you need to progress....that and a whole load of other things then an opportunity to make something quickly comes along and you think why not? hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justbe)
    elipsis i take it your in a position of relative comfort is your belief is that stupidity is the reason that most people turn to crime. id like to see you living a life where many of the people around you had turuned to crime and wer profiting from it. where you werent doing great at school and the very few kids that were are the ones the teachers focus on almost entirely. where dont believe that you can work hard enough to get the kind of grades you need to progress....that and a whole load of other things then an opportunity to make something quickly comes along and you think why not? hmm...
    Repped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justbe)
    I did live somewhere where there was alot of crime actually? Alot of people in my school were selling weed and moving large quantities around and making a reasonable ammount of money for our age. I think it's complete crap that these kids think the only way out is through crime, even children in Africa know education is the key. The profit from selling weed is minimal. If you buy 4.5 Oz's for £480 then sell it off in 8ths you'd make £240. They are obviously stupid if they can't see that in the time to sell 32 8ths they could have held down a half decent job and made just as much and not ran the risk of being imprisoned. The fact that they only sell to each other makes the whole thing even more ridiculous cus all theyre doing is circulating money between themselves. The people who make the real cash are the ones who sell the ounces and kilos, people who they'll never be.

ReputationRep:
    yes 50 cent would be a good role model

ReputationRep:
    The fact that they only sell to each other makes the whole thing even more ridiculous cus all theyre doing is circulating money between themselves. The people who make the real cash are the ones who sell the ounces and kilos, people who they'll never be.
    You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you think that young black males aren't pushing enough weight to see A LOT of money. I challenge you to go down to Ache Lane, Brixton and enquire about who the big money makers are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolly-88)
    I think all underachieving boys and girls need positive role models...i don't see what's specifically special about black boys.
    Totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pernell Whitaker)
    You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you think that young black males aren't pushing enough weight to see A LOT of money. I challenge you to go down to Ache Lane, Brixton and enquire about who the big money makers are.
    Only a few people can be at the top you know, the rest make a pittance. All they want is an easy way to make money be that music or drug dealing.

ReputationRep:
    I did live somewhere where there was alot of crime actually? Alot of people in my school were selling weed and moving large quantities around and making a reasonable ammount of money for our age. I think it's complete crap that these kids think the only way out is through crime, even children in Africa know education is the key. The profit from selling weed is minimal. If you buy 4.5 Oz's for £480 then sell it off in 8ths you'd make £240. They are obviously stupid if they can't see that in the time to sell 32 8ths they could have held down a half decent job and made just as much and not ran the risk of being imprisoned. The fact that they only sell to each other makes the whole thing even more ridiculous cus all theyre doing is circulating money between themselves. The people who make the real cash are the ones who sell the ounces and kilos, people who they'll never be.
    You pimp daddy. :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who is underachieving or is into crime, needs better role models. Role models are important for everyone. If all your mates are joining some gang and you haven't got a parent there to say "get the **** inside", you are more likely to go the wrong way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    No. I think Bengali/Bangladeshi girls and boys need a better role model to tackle underachievement.
    Who neg repped me for the above statement? At least have the guts to leave your name behind and a justification/comment.

So it's OK for the OP to say black kids need role models, but it's not OK for me to that Bengali kids need a positive role model.

ReputationRep:
    Only a few people can be at the top you know, the rest make a pittance. All they want is an easy way to make money be that music or drug dealing.
    You're ignorant if you think music and drugs are "easy" ways to make money.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.