Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolly-88)
    I think all underachieving boys and girls need positive role models...i don't see what's specifically special about black boys.
    They sit around and do **** all. Sure, crime is done by both white people and black people but the media publicises the black on black crime and with the killings of these teenage kids in London (most of them who were black), it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise there's a problem somewhere.

I'm black. I'm a girl. I have no role models. I can't see where they've gone wrong and I'm PERFECT (I am.) But there's something about the gangs that these boys join. I sat through a presentation that some black kid played for us and he explained the plight of these black kids and the gangs they joined because they were looking for a place to "belong" and how hard it was to leave these gangs because the "leader" of the gang would scare them into staying.

I don't think you could ever have "black role models". Anyone can be a role model for anyone, regardless of what they are. What really needs to be done though...I dunno, some sort of youth club, something for these kids to do so that they don't sit around intimidating the old ladies. Or something, I don't know. Gah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pernell Whitaker)
    You're ignorant if you think music and drugs are "easy" ways to make money.
    Alot easier than learning that's for sure. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with becoming a drug dealer or a rapper, they are entirely self supporting industries that rely on other people wanting to make it to the top and therefore buying CD's or selling small quantities of drugs along the way. Why don't they just get an education which has a near enough 100% success rate for those who work hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    They are too stupid to see that they'll always just be foot soldiers and never anything better, its totally beyond them to think that if they channeled their efforts into something productive they could be millionaires.
    You can make enogh money dealing to live an average life, and you don't need any qualifications. The chance of someone making a million in any sort of job whether that be legal or illegal, are very low. The difference between the two is one you need qualifications and the other you don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    You can make enogh money dealing to live an average life, and you don't need any qualifications. The chance of someone making a million in any sort of job whether that be legal or illegal, are very low. The difference between the two is one you need qualifications and the other you don't
    Dealing doesnt pay that much if you're on the bottom rung of the ladder, it probably works out at around minimum wage. I'm not complaining though its a dangerous job and somebodies gotta do it, i'd just rather they didnt kill each other along the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy)
    Touching, but we don't live in a Utopian world. If we're avoiding treading on egg shells and ignore race and social class we are going to have more problems. Say what you like, labels will always be there, and peoples identities include 'race', it will be foolish to think otherwise.
    Well, you can include race when you identify someone. I don't and I will never have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Dealing doesnt pay that much if you're on the bottom rung of the ladder, it probably works out at around minimum wage. I'm not complaining though its a dangerous job and somebodies gotta do it, i'd just rather they didnt kill each other along the way.
    Ignorance again! You have no knowledge of what you speak. Your posts smell strongly of sanctimonious conjecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pernell Whitaker)
    Ignorance again! You have no knowledge of what you speak. Your posts smell strongly of sanctimonious conjecture.
    I know a fair ammount about it thanks, I just said the prices of weed. Pills and stuff on the other hand are some serious money makers, however they seem to be more of a 'white' thing.

ReputationRep:
    However, when you see no options and have a desire for money, power and status, crime is often the most appropriate way.
    That’s the easy way out to say that. There are always options, this isn’t Johannesburg. You can make your own options by listening in class and not being a tosser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    That’s the easy way out to say that. There are always options, this isn’t Johannesburg. You can make your own options by listening in class and not being a tosser.
    Think what you like, I'm done with trying to convince people. It's a good job many learned people disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    **** the learned people, they dont know what theyre on about. Ive got little sympathy for people who say 'i have had no opportunities' or 'ohh, woe is me, the system is against me'. If there isnt much going you just have to work harder to put yourself on level with people who do have more going for them. Moaning about the system isnt going to do anything, you just have to sort yourself out. Pisses me off when I meet people who assed round in school in the gym and theyre like 'i want a better job but ive got no qualifications' and then proceed to ***** about how crap the high school was. It was crap, but they could have quite clearly got plenty out of it if they didnt act like dicks in it, skipping classes ect.

ReputationRep:
    **** the learned people, they dont know what theyre on about.
    Oh, I see. Nobody knows the answers, except for you, and people who share your ideas, right?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, thats absolutely correct. You enjoying characterising me as a stereotype rather than actually debating the points?

ReputationRep:
    There should be more black MPs.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, thats absolutely correct. You enjoying characterising me as a stereotype rather than actually debating the points?
    "I am NOT an emo, I'm an INDIVIDUAL"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    Who neg repped me for the above statement? At least have the guts to leave your name behind and a justification/comment.

So it's OK for the OP to say black kids need role models, but it's not OK for me to that Bengali kids need a positive role model.

i'm no inspector morse but it is most likely bengali or or some midddle class white left wing revolutionary from within the his bedroom thinking he's fighting on the front lines of the battle agianst racism.

ReputationRep:
    **** the learned people, they dont know what theyre on about. Ive got little sympathy for people who say 'i have had no opportunities' or 'ohh, woe is me, the system is against me'. If there isnt much going you just have to work harder to put yourself on level with people who do have more going for them. Moaning about the system isnt going to do anything, you just have to sort yourself out. Pisses me off when I meet people who assed round in school in the gym and theyre like 'i want a better job but ive got no qualifications' and then proceed to ***** about how crap the high school was. It was crap, but they could have quite clearly got plenty out of it if they didnt act like dicks in it, skipping classes ect.
    i have 3 jobs and no qualifications its not impossible to get a job , but you do have to think positive , self pity is easy and not having a job can be a be very demoralizing i must admit.
    even harder for those with no qualifications with the mass imflux of stoodents from the home counties (with qualifications obviously) to get work and people wonder why so many people are on the dole? you can get a job its not impossible but there does'nt seem to be a enough jobs going incomparisant to the demand.

there is always telesales but you have to sell your soul to work in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    Apparently not. Black boys ares "special"; they like guns and shiny objects, and rappers hypnotise them to do bad things. The causative relationship between guns and crime has been established beyond doubt, between rappers (being black) and ALL black boys (being black also), and has been PROVED by scientists and statistics...yah :rolleyes:
    oh shutup you mug your probably some posh little **** who cant see beyond daddys money your a top class ******

ReputationRep:
    QPRMichael, shut up you ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    in a lot of areas where there is a large black community the people with the flash cars, flash clothes, and money are the gangs and drug dealers. Also many black boys grow up without a father, no posative male role models. This means they see crime as the way to money and respect. This has nothing to do with race, white kids in that sort of community are the same. Black kids like me who live in a white middle class area aren't underachiving, me and my friends (black and asian) are the best in our year. What needs to happen is black kids being shown there are other ways to success than crime and football, get someone successful into their schools, someone selfmade.
    Absolutely TRUE, most black and asian people i know(not syaing that white people are dumb or anything) are high achievers in areas like this...So i believe that areas of where people live should be sorted out than just one race.

Goverment are just trying to seclude one group of people into scapegoats, which is getting to a point of annoyance, but who will listen to black people anyways? Seems no one nowadays, so i ask you, shouldn't people get a better understanding of the situations than just blaming one another?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh people who blame music and stuff for peoples actions are so annyoing.

they say music can alter moods and talk 2u/but can it load up a gun and **** it 2/well if it can then the nxt time u assult a dude/tell the judge it was my fault and il get sued

Those lyrics sums up my above point. At the end of the day music is music, people are people and the connection is low. I bein black and a rapper who raps both about normal things, lifes experiances, to guns, drugs money etc and yet i aint killed anyone or committed any crimes really. And yet the struggles and tribulations that many of the famous and young rappers go through is what makes many black males idolise rappers etc because they can relatate to. Living in a society which is still in factions racist in places and times its just something which is natural. Music is far from the problem as many white males, females, adults whatever listen to hip hop rap etc and they also idolise these artists. You cant select people to use as rolemodels, rather when a person sees someone they can relate to and understand its more likely to be their rolemodel, and in the current society that we live in black males will continue to idiolise such people, its not a problem as such. Nor is it alwais the lack of a father, as this would suggest that 'black males inately are failures,destined to do not as well, murderers' and need a father to help them off that course. I think its a class issue and the opportunites not for blacks but for all minorities to be accepted in the country to a full extent which will help people in general from all walks of life to prosper.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.