Do black boys need better role models? Watch

Forté
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think what some people (including consie) dont realise, is that this country isnt as perfect as they would like to think it is. Sure there are better opportunities, but if you truly think turning up to class will equate to a good job and what not, your seriously deluded.
King Hippo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet (don't have time this morning to read all seven pages, sorry ) but since when were black role models the only dodgy ones? If I had a kid I'd rather their role model was Thierry Henry or Tiger Woods than Pete Doherty, Eminem, Lyndsey Lohan or Britney Spears.

At the end of the day though, the main role model should be the parent. If the kid's brought up well it doesn't matter who their "role models" are. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson (a true nutcase) and watching horror films, so in a way I'd say Jacko, Freddy Krueger, Leatherface, Jason, Chucky etc were my role models because they were all I watched. And I think I turned out alright.
loopylouise
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Music_Enthusiast)
I'm white but i don't see any role models for me either. Who is there, david beckham? tony blair?
Richard Branson?
erk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by loopylouise)
Richard Branson?
Danny Dyer? he has the potential (if he didn't have a wife and two kids) to shag loads of women, did gumball3000, was in a few entertaining movies and starred in GTA. what more do you want.

:rolleyes:
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
One of my role models is black :/ I wont be pissed off if black kids have white ones...honest!
Consie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Danny Dyer? he has the potential (if he didn't have a wife and two kids) to shag loads of women, did gumball3000, was in a few entertaining movies and starred in GTA. what more do you want.
because hes a little runt who has a face you want to punch.
Romeo(love)
Report 11 years ago
I personal believe that parents should be the role models. i see my mum and dad as my role models because of what they have accomplish and there income. But not every body has parents that they could look up to because of different circumstance's. i wouldn't mind if there are more black role models but it would not bother me.
lewis321
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
different races can share role models. i mean, eminem proved that one
Consie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does anyone ever think it slightly contradictory that on the one hand we're trying to say blacks, whites, Asians, all that are totally the same and we're all one, but on the other divisions are created when people say black kids need distinct black role models?

When I hear of like affirmative action in the US I think it slightly contradictory to the idea of equality. Keeping 2 places back for a black person is only creating and highlights the difference that he is black. By going for total meritocracy, everybody is treated equally on the basis of talent.

now I’m not naive, I realise a larger proportion of black people might be poor and might need a helping hand to compete for the short list place monetarily, but that help should be done on the basis of that individual's income/lifestyle in question and treated on that basis, not because they’re bloody black.

Annoys the hell out of me that we have things like Asian radio stations or black radio stations, or the Black Channel in the US. Surely that's just helping create division? We're all one and should all be part of the same overarching lifestyle.

I think what some people (including consie) dont realise, is that this country isnt as perfect as they would like to think it is. Sure there are better opportunities, but if you truly think turning up to class will equate to a good job and what not, your seriously deluded.

Where did i say that? I never said that, I said you can make the best of what you have. And in Britian, which has free education which isnt that bad in the scheme of things, if you're willing to learn you can learn. this isnt Iraq where you cant go to class becasue you might get hit by a car bomb, or your teacher has been taken hostage, its Britain, its a prosperous western country. Everyone has the capability to have a satisfactory lifestyle (even when using western relative poverty standards) if they choose to, poor people or people from rough areas just repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot and have a tendancy to blame the system, i (and my mum) see it all the time infront of my/her eyes.
sylvie27
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DMP18)
lol where the hell do you live? hav you even met a group of black people, most ethnic groups hang around together, and its funni you said that about doner kebabs coz they are turkish...
hahahhahaha this whole issue has gone out of hand!

first of all can i just say when it was said by who ever that 'black boys need better role models'...who ever said that meant ANY GOOD ROLE MODEL.not necesarilly a black role model for a black boy...some people have had things muddled up in that area.

As for the doner kebabs...i totally agree with u it just goes to show how narrow minded people an be.

For the record not every blck boy is a thug! not every black boy is trying to be a gangsta and finally they just dont hang around with only other black guys, and I am not just talking from my **** i know what I am talking about.because i know loads of black guys!

people makelove not war!
peace!!!!!!!!!!
nanananabatman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We have a "black radio station" ? Oh really? What do they play then?

I understand the need for an Asian radio station. No, I'm not Asian.

As for the whole black thing in the media....it'll pass. It used to be Jews. Then Muslims. It'll pass.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AesopRock)
KRS-One is definitely a role model, and a good one IMO. Take a listen to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/features/...krs_talk.shtml

EDIT: sorry, that 3 posts in a row lol. I'll let someone else post now lol
I think he might have cooled down now in his old age but I disagree with the whole concept that the whole notion of glorification of guns and violence is a new thing in hip hop. It's dead old. What's actually a bit newer is the whole macho attitude towards women and adding sexual content.

Like many other acts, KRS-One did glorify violence against the police in songs like "Sound of da police". Sure, Public Enemy did the same but in a more political, pacifist way.

I heard a song called "Race War" by Ice T (before he formed Bodycount and turned rock and did songs like CopKilla which aren't much better)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otuap...elated&search=

With lyrics like "You know what I think is in store? Justice or Race War" you know this guy isn't joking. Basically he wants to see blood on the streets if he sees more black people suffer injustice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDQqotUGOQ

I think another good example is Eazy E's "Boyz in da hood"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZE_3...elated&search=

Talking about "grabbing the ***** by her nappy-ass weave", "slapping the ho", "making that GTA", pointing his gun.

This was the stuff people considered as normal rap and hip hop back in the 80s and early 90s.

What people think is hip hop,like 50 Cent or Snoop Dog, is actually quite tame compared to these guys.

You seem to know your stuff but to a lot of people the furthest back they can go when it comes to Hip Hop is some Tupac album owned by their big brother :rolleyes:
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lewis321)
different races can share role models. i mean, eminem proved that one
Who the **** is Eminem a role model for?

For rich white kids and chavs trying to be rebels and act ghetto?
sylvie27
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nanananabatman)

As for the whole black thing in the media....it'll pass. It used to be Jews. Then Muslims. It'll pass.
just because it will pass doesn't mean it should keep happening!:tsr2:

i agree about the ,...eminem thing!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DiscoPirate)
There is no such thing as 'black' people
- What?
Well in the UK (and in the US), there aren't that many black people who don't have European blood in them too, especially those whose parents and grandparents came from the Caribbean. In a way, to call them exclusively black as opposed to partly white is not correct.

If you look at the number of people mentioned on here and in the media who are called black role models, many of them have a white parent or grandparent.

In certain parts of London, there are so many people of mixed race that although, many would call themselves "black", they differentiate themselves from people who are "blick" whose parents came from Africa.

A bit in the way that a British Indian will differentiate himself from a "Freshy" but more for cultural reasons than for ethnic reasons.
nanananabatman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, I agreed with you but not for the reason you've just stated above.

There is no such thing as a black person (well, yes, racially, but that's it) but there is such a thing as a black stereotype and people always get the two confused. So when a black person does something that the black stereotype wouldn't do, the poor black person becomes ostracised and told they're being traitors to their race.

What *******s.

I'm going off topic. I know.
sylvie27
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sticky)
Well in the UK (and in the US), there aren't that many black people who don't have European blood in them too, especially those whose parents and grandparents came from the Caribbean. In a way, to call them exclusively black as opposed to partly white is not correct.

If you look at the number of people mentioned on here and in the media who are called black role models, many of them have a white parent or grandparent.

In certain parts of London, there are so many people of mixed race that although, many would call themselves "black", they differentiate themselves from people who are "blick" whose parents came from Africa.

A bit in the way that a British Indian will differentiate himself from a "Freshy" but more for cultural reasons than for ethnic reasons.
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm..
sticky...did black people actuali tell u this them selves? wtf? People get so caught up with being this or that.! if ur black ur black.period.thats MY OPINION.in fact i think this whole idea of trying to differntiate between ''US'' AND ''THEM'' is the root of all the chaos! what is this crap about there is no such thing as being black...hello slightly offensive 2 some people! ergh!
AesopRock
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sticky)
This was the stuff people considered as normal rap and hip hop back in the 80s and early 90s.

What people think is hip hop,like 50 Cent or Snoop Dog, is actually quite tame compared to these guys.
In was normal in the 80s because it was real, everything that was said was real. The artists you mentioned were the voices of the streets. Nowadays, everything that 50 Cent or Snoop Dog says doesn't mean ****.
sylvie27
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nanananabatman)
Well, I agreed with you but not for the reason you've just stated above.

There is no such thing as a black person (well, yes, racially, but that's it) but there is such a thing as a black stereotype and people always get the two confused. So when a black person does something that the black stereotype wouldn't do, the poor black person becomes ostracised and told they're being traitors to their race.

What *******s.

I'm going off topic. I know.
which is why i believe that whilst living on earth you're just an individual **** what the expectations of society.!Just live ur life u dont have 2 conform to the will of the majority or what ever.!
Ghost Grey
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Jack Sparrow
You tell me what a ‘black’ person is? An Afro-Caribbean? An African?
What if someone is mixed race and has dark skin are they black?
What if someone’s skin is so tanned that they were ‘white’ now they are dark skinned are they black? What about albinos are they black?
What about some Asian people (example India) who have skin that is darker than an Afro-Caribbean person are they black?

Justbe you said:
“the fact that your value of 97% has most likely been plucked from the air”
then you say something like

“the majority of people do not share yours views”.
When you carry out your survey on the population of the earth.. get back to me.

Its ironic that your name is ‘justbe’ and you ended your post with ‘just be’.. If you intended to mean that we, as society, should ‘just be’ then..forget the government and let tyranny and anarchy reign.
LOL to that. Fair attempt at being a neo-conservative, but pathetic to say something like “just be”.

If we (being people on this forum) accepted everything going on in the U.K. we wouldn't debate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (30)
27.03%
No - I got the required grades (67)
60.36%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.61%

Watched Threads