Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a role model to myself.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people need role models? are some cretins?

I've never seen anyone and thought 'Hmmm i want to be like them' I'm me and I mould myself into what I WANT TO BE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    Why do people need role models? are some cretins?

I've never seen anyone and thought 'Hmmm i want to be like them' I'm me and I mould myself into what I WANT TO BE!
    Exactly what I am saying.

But it is good to have a reference point - role model, but we really do need to be ourselves and achieve max potential.

ReputationRep:
    Surely Rio Ferdinand and 50 Cent are good enough role models ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danm2501)
    Surely Rio Ferdinand and 50 Cent are good enough role models ?
    Well I personally do not agree.

I thought Ferdinand was the guy who got banned for a few months missing a drugs test in football. I don't think we should aspire to follow that trend.

Also 50 cent, shot 9 times, is gansta and wants to get rich or die trying, surely we do not want to perpertuate this culture!

I think that we have to make ourselves role models for the next generation of black kids out there.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are missing the most important point here; the original and most important role models in anyones life are their parents. Perhaps if the adults in the black world stepped up to the plate we would start to see some improvement in their offspring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I think people are missing the most important point here; the original and most important role models in anyones life are their parents. Perhaps if the adults in the black world stepped up to the plate we would start to see some improvement in their offspring.
    I agree. If you look at the chav culture (white) they too need better parents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabe_uk)
    Well I personally do not agree.

I thought Ferdinand was the guy who got banned for a few months missing a drugs test in football. I don't think we should aspire to follow that trend.

Also 50 cent, shot 9 times, is gansta and wants to get rich or die trying, surely we do not want to perpertuate this culture!

I think that we have to make ourselves role models for the next generation of black kids out there.
    You've not quite grasped the concept of sarcasm have you.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danm2501)
    You've not quite grasped the concept of sarcasm have you.....
    It is hard to show sarcasm online, tbh these people are role models as there are a lot of people who look up to them and imitate and copy them. They are not however positive.

ReputationRep:
    ..the original and most important role models in anyones life are their parents.
    Not necessarily. If anything, children tend to do or become the opposite of what their parents do or are like. Their roles are probably more akin to teaching manners and respect for others - which gives rise to the building of the 'Abstract role model', where one takes admirable aspects/traits of different people and build a skeleton, from which they attempt to mould themselves into.
    The problem with (black) youngsters these days is that they tend to focus all attention on a select few striking characters, namely those "gangster celeberities" people keep on refering to, and discard any notion of feasible respect for the more common individual.

I'm not trying to be rude, but in most communities, there is a common fundamental ethos which teaches children to respect others, especially elders.
    This is not seen as vehemently in the upbringing of black children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hest)
    The problem with (black) youngsters these days is that they tend to focus all attention on a select few striking characters, namely those "gangster celeberities"

in most communities, there is a common fundamental ethos which teaches children to respect others, especially elders.
    This is not seen in the upbringing of black children.
    Their mindless admiration of violence is saddening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Jon)
    As a black boy myself i think this "report" is a piece of s*it. The problem of underachieving black boys mainly stems from the lack of a strong family and the low importance place don education by these families and instead valuing material things: cars, phones. clothes etc etc.
    We also need to stop blaming racism and slavery for all of our problems. Sure there is racism but racism is suffered by Chinese and Asian people too and they dont seem to have the same problems as us.
    I agree with this, and I think it applies to anyone that grows up in these conditions, not just black people. It's the family they grow up in that give the individual their foundations, and they can grow from there.
    I'm black-caribbean, born in Britain and things didn't work out between my working class parents when I was fairly young. I wasn't (or don't remember being) told what school was for, so I didn't really apply myself as I didn't really see it as that important. This set me off on the wrong foot and when I started to realise that school was important, I started getting fustrated and jealous when I didn't do well in tests and everyone else seemed to be doing well, the reason I did badly was because I didn't practice or revise; no one had told me how it helps, and no-one made me do so at home.
    I began to think that I just couldn't do school, and I wouldn't be surprised that this is the problem that many people in that culture have, the lack of belief that can succeed acedemically, so they start looking for other ways to suceed, and the only options they think they have are what they see on the TV, and I suppose rappers are who they think they can relate to most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Their mindless admiration of violence is saddening.
    I agree. The majority of black boys at my school are set on becoming these "MC's", smoking drugs and becoming gangsters.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps if the adults in the black world stepped up to the plate we would start to see some improvement in their offspring.
    in the black world? This pretty much somes up what i see as the problem. People are too quick to pass judgement, as if the "white world" is picture perfect.

Im not saying there isnt a problem, but please dont stigmatise a culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    in the black world? This pretty much somes up what i see as the problem. People are too quick to pass judgement, as if the "white world" is picture perfect.

Im not saying there isnt a problem, but please dont stigmatise a culture
    Well, there are more black people in prison than in university, it's not being too quick to pass judgement i've thought this through from what i've seen and what i've read. For instance in my street the white children are in bed by 9, whereas the black children are out playing football at 11 on a school night, that isn't responsible parenting. I'm not saying that all white parents are perfect, i'm saying that a far greater proportion are better parents.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are more black people in prison than in university, it's not being too quick to pass judgement i've thought this through from what i've seen and what i've read. For instance in my street the white children are in bed by 9, whereas the black children are out playing football at 11 on a school night, that isn't responsible parenting. I'm not saying that all white parents are perfect, i'm saying that a far greater proportion are better parents.
    I could point out the discrimination within the justice system but you wouldn't understand. So what your saying is, because a few black kids play football at 11 on a school night, their more likely to go to prison than to uni? And that this must be the case in every black household in the country? You humour me.

Fair enough these parents could do more, but how do you control the environment these kids are growing up in? In which black people are poorly portrayed be it in the media, at school or wherever. Have you ever grown up under such oppressive circumstances before? Im sorry, but this is something i dont think you will ever understand either. Its not quite as black and white (pardon the pun) as you think it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    I could point out the discrimination within the justice system but you wouldn't understand. So what your saying is, because a few black kids play football at 11 on a school night, their more likely to go to prison than to uni? And that this must be the case in every black household in the country? You humour me.
    Fair enough these parents could do more, but how do you control the environment these kids are growing up in? In which black people are poorly portrayed be it in the media, at school or wherever. Have you ever grown up under such oppressive circumstances before? Im sorry, but this is something i dont think you will ever understand either. Its not quite as black and white (pardon the pun) as you think it to be.
    In the justice system black people stand a lower chance of being prosecuted for their crimes. As well as this they account for 15% of the prison population and only 3% of the UK overall. There is clearly something going wrong in their community. Their circumstances are hardly oppressed, and they really never have been in the UK. The difficulties they have in life stem from themselves and no one else. I mean all any one can do is give them equal oppourtunities, it's up to them to use them. Even then it goes beyond equal opportunities, some employers (such as the police force) go on specific black recruitment days where black people gain easier employment than their white counter parts because they are under represented, which is a joke. My example of them playing football at 11 at night just shows how little their parents care about the up bringing of their children. I mean i'm lucky they're playing football outside my house because down the road they are kicking the crap out of fences and people. What you need to do is stop giving them excuses to behave however they want, 'o leave them alone, don't comment on their poor skills in raising children, it's not their fault; they're oppressed!' Perhaps when the rug of excuses is pulled out from under them they will actually bother to start pulling their weight in this country and stop being a ball and chain around everybody elses neck. The only people that portray black people poorly in the media are black people themselves, when they're on the BBC they're made to look a lot better than they actually are in real life. I obviously know that some black house holds get it right, it's just a shame they can't pass it on to the rest.

ReputationRep:
    1) "In the justice system black people stand a lower chance of being prosecuted for their crimes" - are we still talking about Britain? Read up before you spout nonesense.

2) "As well as this they account for 15% of the prison population and only 3% of the UK overall" - you do realise you just totally contradicted the statement you made a sentence before? :rolleyes:

3) "Even then it goes beyond equal opportunities, some employers (such as the police force) go on specific black recruitment days where black people gain easier employment than their white counter parts because they are under represented, which is a joke" - you dear friend, are the joke. Has it not occurred to you the only reason they launch these events is because of criticism of a lack of inclusion? And even then, the majority of them go about employing an ethnic person or two to front at the shop window? With little career progression opportunity? Of course there are a few exceptions but your naivety is appauling. What precisely is the joke? That they dont host days primarily for white people? Please.

4) "I mean i'm lucky they're playing football outside my house because down the road they are kicking the crap out of fences and people" - yep, because its only black kids that do that sort of thing. I could even provide you with high profile examples to counter that of the kids on your street, but i wont - its getting pretty petty now.

5) "The only people that portray black people poorly in the media are black people themselves, when they're on the BBC they're made to look a lot better than they actually are in real life" - pardon? Your clearly living in your own imaginary world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forté)
    1) "In the justice system black people stand a lower chance of being prosecuted for their crimes" - are we still talking about Britain? Read up before you spout nonesense.

2) "As well as this they account for 15% of the prison population and only 3% of the UK overall" - you do realise you just totally contradicted the statement you made a sentence before? :rolleyes:

3) "Even then it goes beyond equal opportunities, some employers (such as the police force) go on specific black recruitment days where black people gain easier employment than their white counter parts because they are under represented, which is a joke" - you dear friend, are the joke. Has it not occurred to you the only reason they launch these events is because of criticism of a lack of inclusion? And even then, the majority of them go about employing an ethnic person or two to front at the shop window? With little career progression opportunity? Of course there are a few exceptions but your naivety is appauling. What precisely is the joke? That they dont host days primarily for white people? Please.

4) "I mean i'm lucky they're playing football outside my house because down the road they are kicking the crap out of fences and people" - yep, because its only black kids that do that sort of thing. I could even provide you with high profile examples to counter that of the kids on your street, but i wont - its getting pretty petty now.

5) "The only people that portray black people poorly in the media are black people themselves, when they're on the BBC they're made to look a lot better than they actually are in real life" - pardon? Your clearly living in your own imaginary world.
    1+2) It's not contradictory. They have a lower chance of being prosecuted, but commit far more crime as a % when compared to white people.
    3) They launch these events because black people don't bother to apply through the normal route, which they are perfectly eligible to do, but if you can get in easier then why bother? The joke is that if 2 people go for a job, let's say person A and person B, then the best person will get the job. But wait a minute, nobody that's the same colour as person B bothers to apply, so regardless of if person A is better we have to give person B the job so we don't look racist. JOKE.
    4) Yet again, I AM NOT SAYING THAT WHITE PEOPLE DO NOT COMMIT CRIME. I am saying that a far greater number of black youths are allowed out after dark at young ages with nothing to do.
    5) You don't really have a reply worth noting. O look Shameless has portrayed white people committing crime and taking hard drugs, that gives me the right to behave in such a way. Yeah right.

ReputationRep:
    3) They launch these events because black people don't bother to apply through the normal route, which they are perfectly eligible to do, but if you can get in easier then why bother? The joke is that if 2 people go for a job, let's say person A and person B, then the best person will get the job. But wait a minute, nobody that's the same colour as person B bothers to apply, so regardless of if person A is better we have to give person B the job so we don't look racist. JOKE.

Well black people have applied through normal routes who are equally qualified, if not more qualified and low and behold they do not get the job. Surely in the case of police they are re-addressing the balance. They would only recruit someone of they fit the criteria!

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.