The Student Room Group

what to say about dropping out uni on cv

I have recently dropped out of university after failing first year exams and resits and I am now at college. I had been doing a science based subject at uni and I am now doing something sports related. I have been told that I should put the year on my CV but I would like some advice.
Thanks in advance
Original post by aft207
I have recently dropped out of university after failing first year exams and resits and I am now at college. I had been doing a science based subject at uni and I am now doing something sports related. I have been told that I should put the year on my CV but I would like some advice.
Thanks in advance

Education

2016-19 College of Newness, Qualification, Sports Science
2015-16 University of Wherever, BSc (Hons) Science, completed first year
20xx-15 School Name, Town
A level/BTEC Subject (X), ....
8 GCSEs including ENglish and Maths

You don't need to say anything other than you did one year there.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Education

2016-19 College of Newness, Qualification, Sports Science
2015-16 University of Wherever, BSc (Hons) Science, completed first year
20xx-15 School Name, Town
A level/BTEC Subject (X), ....
8 GCSEs including ENglish and Maths

You don't need to say anything other than you did one year there.

the only thing is i hadnt completed first year cause i had failed my resits
Original post by aft207
the only thing is i hadnt completed first year cause i had failed my resits

If you take 'completed' to mean 'and passed exams'. You could put 'attended' or 'first year only' or 'studied first year'.
Reply 4
If you take 'completed' to mean 'and passed exams'. You could put 'attended' or 'first year only' or 'studied first year'.

ok thanks thats actually really helpful
Reply 5

sounds like something that would only raise the interest of the interviewer

if i was interviewing that would be such bait it would be the first thing i'd be asking about.

i'd honestly just leave it off and then if asked just mention it quickly and change the subject.
Original post by iThrow
sounds like something that would only raise the interest of the interviewer

if i was interviewing that would be such bait it would be the first thing i'd be asking about.

i'd honestly just leave it off and then if asked just mention it quickly and change the subject.

You'd far more likely be asked about a blank year on your CV. It's obvious there was a subject change, and that's fine. There's nothing strange to ask about and nothing relevant to the job - assuming it's not a job that might prefer a science degree. You obviously don't interview many people a) there is rarely time to wander off down speculative, exploratory avenues and b) it's bad practice, interviews should only ask questions about things that are material in their decision to offer the job to the best candidate.
Reply 7
You'd far more likely be asked about a blank year on your CV. It's obvious there was a subject change, and that's fine. There's nothing strange to ask about and nothing relevant to the job - assuming it's not a job that might prefer a science degree. You obviously don't interview many people a) there is rarely time to wander off down speculative, exploratory avenues and b) it's bad practice, interviews should only ask questions about things that are material in their decision to offer the job to the best candidate.

yeah but you've just baited them into asking you an awkward line of questioning, already set a negative tone from the moment you've sat down. blank years are easy to explain away limited only by your creativity but blatantly advertising something that looks bad when interviewers are actively looking for reasons to say no (much easier to find than reasons to say yes) it seems pretty bad advice to me.

He cant put completed for the reasons mentioned.
Not keen on attended or first year only as first is lame.
Probably the last one is what I woyld pick or maybe just put the dates. he needs to be prepared for any answers at interview anyway becayse hes going to be asked.
Just say you had false start and now your pursuing your dream.
Original post by iThrow
yeah but you've just baited them into asking you an awkward line of questioning, already set a negative tone from the moment you've sat down. blank years are easy to explain away limited only by your creativity but blatantly advertising something that looks bad when interviewers are actively looking for reasons to say no (much easier to find than reasons to say yes) it seems pretty bad advice to me.

Well you are wrong. If the interviewer isn't bothered, they don't ask - end of no matter what you wrote. If the interviewer wants to know more about the gap or the false start then they ask.

If you have left a gap, then you have to 'fess up to a false start at uni and whatever you say to justify it, it is very clear that you don't feel fine about it, you tried to hide it, and there is some reason you haven't been open about it. The immediate follow up question in the mind of the interviewer is 'why didn't the applicant put this in?'. It looks as though you are hiding something. You can try with the 'I didn't put it in because I didn't think it was relevant', but a year at Uni with all the A level angst, UCAS, packing, leaving home, managing for yourself for a year, studying etc, no employer is so out of touch, they aren't going to beleive that isn't a big deal and relevant in the life of a young person!

On the other hand, if it is on there, and you have a confident explanation about subject choices, style of learning or whatever, then you present yourself in a mature, responsible light, with a well thought out reason, aware of your possible 'mistakes' and nothing to hide - all good characteristics for an employer.
Original post by aft207
Thanks in advance

Remember your CV is essentially a sales document. Mention it but always put a positive spin on why you left. Focus on what you are doing now to show the drive in your decision. Good luck,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending