Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is a Higher education certificate useless ? Or is there a way to achieve a bachelor

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I gained a certificate of higher education in my final year as an undergraduate. I was not offered a chance to retake a yyear to gain the bachelors degree because I was already rewarded for that degree. Is it possible to transfer to another university and pursue for a bachelors degree? Will it be possible to take credits and transfer to a university in Europe or elsewhere ?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabb.s)
    Hi all,

I gained a certificate of higher education in my final year as an undergraduate. I was not offered a chance to retake a yyear to gain the bachelors degree because I was already rewarded for that degree. Is it possible to transfer to another university and pursue for a bachelors degree? Will it be possible to take credits and transfer to a university in Europe or elsewhere ?

Thank you
    A CertHE is usually awarded for successful completion of the first year of a course. If you completed the second year you would normally be awarded a Diploma of HE (should you not continue into third year or fail to pass enough modules in your final year).

There's a number of options to "top up" to a degree using your existing credits - Open University is the most common route (because often people in this situation have a job and are happy to take the additional credits in their spare time - plus the OU is particularly flexible and accepting of a range of credits) but there are a good number of brick universities that will offer the same.

What you might struggle with is financing - with a CertHE most universities will only allow you to start in the second year - and because you've already received funding SFE would normally only pay for 1 additional year's funding for you to top up to a degree.

Speak to your old university and ask them for a full transcript (including CATS/ECTS points for your modules....that's what your new university will need to know about what you've got so far in order to decide if they can accept you).

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.