Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a Higher education certificate useless ? Or is there a way to achieve a bachelor Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I gained a certificate of higher education in my final year as an undergraduate. I was not offered a chance to retake a yyear to gain the bachelors degree because I was already rewarded for that degree. Is it possible to transfer to another university and pursue for a bachelors degree? Will it be possible to take credits and transfer to a university in Europe or elsewhere ?

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabb.s)
    Hi all,

I gained a certificate of higher education in my final year as an undergraduate. I was not offered a chance to retake a yyear to gain the bachelors degree because I was already rewarded for that degree. Is it possible to transfer to another university and pursue for a bachelors degree? Will it be possible to take credits and transfer to a university in Europe or elsewhere ?

Thank you
    A CertHE is usually awarded for successful completion of the first year of a course. If you completed the second year you would normally be awarded a Diploma of HE (should you not continue into third year or fail to pass enough modules in your final year).

There's a number of options to "top up" to a degree using your existing credits - Open University is the most common route (because often people in this situation have a job and are happy to take the additional credits in their spare time - plus the OU is particularly flexible and accepting of a range of credits) but there are a good number of brick universities that will offer the same.

What you might struggle with is financing - with a CertHE most universities will only allow you to start in the second year - and because you've already received funding SFE would normally only pay for 1 additional year's funding for you to top up to a degree.

Speak to your old university and ask them for a full transcript (including CATS/ECTS points for your modules....that's what your new university will need to know about what you've got so far in order to decide if they can accept you).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.