Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vector Triangle Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I m stuck on how to draw a vector triangle on this quesiton..please help me thank you!!! ..
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    the system is in equilibrium which means the resultant force is zero.

in a 1D system like a train on a straight track you can say that the forces acting in one direction are +ve and the forces acting in the opposite direction are -ve and just add them up to make zero.

but what you need to do in a 2D problem like this is add the force vectors together and make them equal zero... what vector addition looks like is placing the force vectors head to tail - and the resultant is zero if you make a closed polygon (i.e. triangle)...

so you want to draw a closed triangle of the forces acting on the mass where the vectors are all connected top to tail, then work out the lengths of the unknown vectors.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20160929_0001.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  404.7 KB

i) draw T1 as shown

ii) draw T2 nose to tail with T1

iii) draw the 7.5 vertically down from the nose of T1*

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much for taking the time to help me! Much appreciated !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.