Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Vector Triangle

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I m stuck on how to draw a vector triangle on this quesiton..please help me thank you!!! ..
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    the system is in equilibrium which means the resultant force is zero.

in a 1D system like a train on a straight track you can say that the forces acting in one direction are +ve and the forces acting in the opposite direction are -ve and just add them up to make zero.

but what you need to do in a 2D problem like this is add the force vectors together and make them equal zero... what vector addition looks like is placing the force vectors head to tail - and the resultant is zero if you make a closed polygon (i.e. triangle)...

so you want to draw a closed triangle of the forces acting on the mass where the vectors are all connected top to tail, then work out the lengths of the unknown vectors.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20160929_0001.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  404.7 KB

i) draw T1 as shown

ii) draw T2 nose to tail with T1

iii) draw the 7.5 vertically down from the nose of T1*

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much for taking the time to help me! Much appreciated !!

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.