Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My ex invited me to go on holiday Watch

Announcements

My ex and I broke up a couple of months ago because we had started to want different things from the relationship. We'd been together two years and it ended relatively amicably with us both working towards remaining friends.

We haven't seen each other since the break up but are planning to meet up soon for a coffee and to have a catch up. I spoke to him a couple of days ago and he told me he was planning on heading back to his hometown in a couple of months just before Christmas and I jokingly said I'd love to go one day and he invited me to go with him on his upcoming trip.

He was born in Poland as his Dad is Polish and his Mum is British. During our relationship I told him I'd like him to take me to Poland but for various reasons it never happened. I am excited about the prospect of going, especially with a native speaker but is it odd to go on holiday with your ex? I'm pretty sure he has no hidden agenda to try and sleep with me or anything but it more confuses me he's invited me to go when we aren't together anymore.
    • Very Important Poster

Ex for a reason. 2 months is no time at all. Noe enough info really, but most people would stay away and move on rather than have some quasi relationship. You are confusing yourself by agreeing to go. Your life.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to the compulsory vitriol from people on here saying "ex for a reason, move on, refuse" etc. Nobody on here, myself included knows your relationship or who you or you boyfriend are as people or as a couple, only you do. Don't make the mistake of letting your life be dictated or overly influenced by "the people of the internet".

That said, my observation, from experience, is this: There is a big difference between a long relationship and a friendship. If you think 8 weeks constitutes a getting over period then you can't have had any emotion or romance in your relationship at all. If you both want to meet up after that time, it would suggest at least partially you still want to be together. If you actively want to go back to his foreign hometown (fairly personal step) and he wants you to go too, it would suggest that you both still want to be together.

Life is short and there are not that many people that you truly click with - stop worrying about the nature of your relationship status or petty differences and do the things you want to do with the people you like. It will work out or it will not.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Clez)
    Don't listen to the compulsory vitriol from people on here saying "ex for a reason, move on, refuse" etc. Nobody on here, myself included knows your relationship or who you or you boyfriend are as people or as a couple, only you do. Don't make the mistake of letting your life be dictated or overly influenced by "the people of the internet".

That said, my observation, from experience, is this: There is a big difference between a long relationship and a friendship. If you think 8 weeks constitutes a getting over period then you can't have had any emotion or romance in your relationship at all. If you both want to meet up after that time, it would suggest at least partially you still want to be together. If you actively want to go back to his foreign hometown (fairly personal step) and he wants you to go too, it would suggest that you both still want to be together.

Life is short and there are not that many people that you truly click with - stop worrying about the nature of your relationship status or petty differences and do the things you want to do with the people you like. It will work out or it will not.
    So youve said dont listen to anyone , but then listen to you... makes sense.

Some people are able to maintain an amicable relaionship with exes, but many people are not. Some people like to keep a quasi relationship going because its easy, but it hinders them moving on. Its her life.

Yes the ex is an ex for a reason and they should think about that. Still her choice to choose.

She posted and I gave an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if he invited you out of politeness or genuinely expects you to go.

If you want to have coffee with him then fine. I wouldn't say going with your ex on holiday is the best way to be moving on. There will be talking about the relationship, what happened, flirt, "if we were together " talk etc etc. I hope you're aware of that.

If you want to go to Poland I am sure you have other friends who can go with you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.