Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

A2 Resits - Extenuating Circumstances (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome + Anaemia)

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to apply for medicine last year as I had done quite well in my AS Levels (AABB) and was predicted A*AA. I didn't receive any offers and decided I was going to take a gap year and try again.

Unfortunately this year, I got BBD in my A2's as a result of suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome and anaemia. I've decided to resit as my teachers and I know that this is nowhere near my full potential. I am also seeing a clinical psychologist at the moment to help with CFS and am still being prescribed iron supplements.

However I have noticed that only a few medical schools accept A2 resits with extenuating circumstances. Does anyone know if this counts as an extenuating circumstance for medical schools? Or if some medical schools take this more seriously than others. The careers department at my sixth form hasn't been as supportive as my teachers.

Any help is much appreciated ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    try emailing the medical school admissions directly for a definite answer

I thnk you will need to contact the medical schools individually. Most medical schools do not consider A levels that arent sat within the 2 year period, but they dont say about EC. One or two medical schools will allow resits. I would imagine they take it on a case by case basis.

If you have existing medical conditions that affect your studies, then wont they be concerned that you are able to cope with a course as demanding as medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I thnk you will need to contact the medical schools individually. Most medical schools do not consider A levels that arent sat within the 2 year period, but they dont say about EC. One or two medical schools will allow resits. I would imagine they take it on a case by case basis.

If you have existing medical conditions that affect your studies, then wont they be concerned that you are able to cope with a course as demanding as medicine?
    I don't know if they will be. I'm getting treated for my conditions now and am feeling much better. It just depends whether the medical schools take this into consideration

(Original post by gemmac123455)
    I don't know if they will be. I'm getting treated for my conditions now and am feeling much better. It just depends whether the medical schools take this into consideration
    Any interviewer will ask you about it and wnat to know its under control.
    the reason you need to ring the schools directly is becayse they will take it on a case by case basis. They have a general policy on resits, but not ones with EC. Important to try because it would make a big difference to the number who would consider you.

ReputationRep:
    Any interviewer will ask you about it and wnat to know its under control.
    the reason you need to ring the schools directly is becayse they will take it on a case by case basis. They have a general policy on resits, but not ones with EC. Important to try because it would make a big difference to the number who would consider you.
    Ok. I've got two universities who don't mind. But then my sixth form said that they would try and sort out two more for me.

Thanks for the help.

Ok. I've got two universities who don't mind. But then my sixth form said that they would try and sort out two more for me.

Thanks for the help.
    Ty should just go down the list of all medical schools and contact all the ones you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Ty should just go down the list of all medical schools and contact all the ones you are interested in.
    But what exactly do I say? Do I say I was suffering from CFS and anaemia during my A2 year which is why I didn't as well as I was predicted and say I have proof from a doctor, and ask if they think this is an extenuating circumstance?

But what exactly do I say? Do I say I was suffering from CFS and anaemia during my A2 year which is why I didn't as well as I was predicted and say I have proof from a doctor, and ask if they think this is an extenuating circumstance?
    Just ask them about their policy. Sat toy understand their normal policy on resits is xxx, but would that include situations where there were EC due to a medical condition?

You are just asking for further detail or clairification on their policy. Uf you dont feel comfy saying it on the phone I think you cna e-mail them, but get one of the teachers to read it if you arent sure, so they cna check its phrased correctly and asks the correct question.

You are simply looking to find out whether there are any exceptions to the 2 year rule.

ReputationRep:
    Just ask them about their policy. Sat toy understand their normal policy on resits is xxx, but would that include situations where there were EC due to a medical condition?

You are just asking for further detail or clairification on their policy. Uf you dont feel comfy saying it on the phone I think you cna e-mail them, but get one of the teachers to read it if you arent sure, so they cna check its phrased correctly and asks the correct question.

You are simply looking to find out whether there are any exceptions to the 2 year rule.
    Emailed Glasgow and they said that "applicants who have narrowly missed the minimum entry requirements may be considered in exceptional circumstances, providing they obtain the standard requirements after resit, to include the required subjects. Exceptional circumstances include severe health problems or adverse personal circumstances."

Then they said that if I feel like I did face exceptional circumstances to give them a covering letter, a copy of transcript of grades, a supporting letter from my sixth form, and letter from my GP.

I'm assuming when they say narrowly missed the grades they mean getting AAB or ABB instead of AAA. However I got BBD. What does that mean?

All of the other unis haven't replied yet, except Leicester who told me to fill out some online form

Emailed Glasgow and they said that "applicants who have narrowly missed the minimum entry requirements may be considered in exceptional circumstances, providing they obtain the standard requirements after resit, to include the required subjects. Exceptional circumstances include severe health problems or adverse personal circumstances."

Then they said that if I feel like I did face exceptional circumstances to give them a covering letter, a copy of transcript of grades, a supporting letter from my sixth form, and letter from my GP.

I'm assuming when they say narrowly missed the grades they mean getting AAB or ABB instead of AAA. However I got BBD. What does that mean?

All of the other unis haven't replied yet, except Leicester who told me to fill out some online form
    That wouldnt fall in the category of narrowly missed for me.

Whilst I still think its wise to find out the policy as I suggested, then you may stand a better chance by just applying when your results are known and you have the AAA or better. If you have seen the news then they are also going to expand places by 25% in the future.

ReputationRep:
    That wouldnt fall in the category of narrowly missed for me.

Whilst I still think its wise to find out the policy as I suggested, then you may stand a better chance by just applying when your results are known and you have the AAA or better. If you have seen the news then they are also going to expand places by 25% in the future.
    Yeah, I guess so. I'm guess I'll just apply to the two medical schools that don't mind me applying (Exeter and KCL) and keep the other 3 as biochemistry. Who knows what the future holds?

Back when my Aunt studied medicine she got in with BCC in 1997 and there was no UKCAT either.

Yeah, I guess so. I'm guess I'll just apply to the two medical schools that don't mind me applying (Exeter and KCL) and keep the other 3 as biochemistry. Who knows what the future holds?

Back when my Aunt studied medicine she got in with BCC in 1997 and there was no UKCAT either.
    I would be tempted to get my resilts first and wait till the extra places become available. It balances it out much more if you have the results to show them rather than just asking them to show leniency.

ReputationRep:
    I would be tempted to get my resilts first and wait till the extra places become available. It balances it out much more if you have the results to show them rather than just asking them to show leniency.
    What do you mean by extra places?

What do you mean by extra places?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37546360

ReputationRep:
    It says from 2018, not 2017.

It says from 2018, not 2017.
    Then go the biomed Gem route.

If I were in your position my biggest concern would be getting in to do medicine at all. I would get my grades first because then the sole issue isnt about your potential, but about your EC. There are people who post on these forums that never get in or have had to try 3 or 4 times.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know why you got no offers last year? The same reason could still apply this time unless you've changed things. Was it due to not getting all As at AS level for example?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.