Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

University Appeal

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can anyone help me with this issue please;

My Grandmother recently passed away before my exams. I didn't want to put the family under any more stress and wanted to be strong hence me deciding to take my exams. I was unable to attend the funeral due to it being abroad and money issues, this cut me deep. I have never lost someone close to me than her and I didn't know how to handle it. Been isolated and alone in university made it hard as I didn't tell anyone. I failed my exams and now my university is saying that I can not progress. I feel like I have failed everyone in my family and I feel that something that hurt me so much and someone so important to me who passed away the University has unfairly punished me for. I appealed the decision but they recently got back to me and said that the "application did not adequately demonstrate why I was unable to request a deferral or extension before my exams". I sent a picture of a message that my mother had put in the group chat to inform us of this news. I also put a doctors note and three witness statements backing up the fact that I was not myself and isolated myself in my room. I am deeply hurt and devastated by this news. I want to supply the death certificate and picture of the ticket of my mother traveling for the funeral. will this be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omelly21)
    Hi,

My Grandmother recently passed away before my exams. I didn't want to put the family under any more stress and wanted to be strong hence me deciding to take my exams. I was unable to attend the funeral due to it being abroad and money issues, this cut me deep. I have never lost someone close to me than her and I didn't know how to handle it. Been isolated and alone in university made it hard as I didn't tell anyone. I failed my exams and now my university is saying that I can not progress. I feel like I have failed everyone in my family and I feel that something that hurt me so much and someone so important to me who passed away the University has unfairly punished me for. I appealed the decision but they recently got back to me and said that the "application did not adequately demonstrate why I was unable to request a deferral or extension before my exams". I sent a picture of a message that my mother had put in the group chat to inform us of this news. I also put a doctors note and three witness statements backing up the fact that I was not myself and isolated myself in my room. I am deeply hurt and devastated by this news. I want to supply the death certificate and picture of the ticket of my mother traveling for the funeral. will this be enough?
    We are sorry to hear about your gradmother's passing and other difficulties.
    If you are an Oxford student, you can access free, confidential, and impartial advice here:
    https://ousu.org/advice/student-advice-service/

If you are a student at another University, the students' union should have a similar service designed to assist in personal cases like yours.

Hi,

They arent disputing the fact it happened, just the fact of how you handled it i.e you could have sought a deferment or at least informed the department. Death certificate and plane ticket wont make any difference imo.

Are they kicking you out or just not letting you proceed? they cnat let you proceed if you failed.

Normally that will mean a resit, plenty of people do resits. They have rules, which you should read or go and speak to the SU advisor.

Btw the rules should explain or the decision should have told you what the next stage is, resit, retake the year or other.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

That sounds like a horrible situation, Omelly21.

Going through this kind of process is really tough, especially if you feel isolated and faced by an unsympathetic bureaucracy.

You don't mention whether you have had any support from Student Welfare or a Personal Tutor. Even at this late stage, you will probably benefit from a talk with someone, who can advocate on your behalf, and who understands your University's procedures. You need someone who will be proactive and act quickly in chasing up people and making sure that the decision makers have properly considered your case and followed the Appeals procedures with compassion.

So contact those people within the Uni who have a specific, recognised role in supporting students in these kind of situations.

Meanwhile, look after yourself, and keep in touch with your friends and the things that make you happy.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry OP, that is a tough situation.

However, most universities have rules that you must account for these things in advance of exams (or at least on the day), not after the fact. Check your regulations for details.

The key thing for others who might experience such awful situations is to tell someone (e.g. personal tutor) as soon as it happens, not to isloate yourself.

ReputationRep:
    So my comment is mostly based on my own experience of completing factors affecting performance forms for Oxford exams. If this post is in the wrong section then it may be irrelevant.

Contact OUSU/the student advice service.

However you should have notified your college/the university before the exams or straight after the exams if you believe your performance was affected. They also usually require you to see a doctor who can support your statement of how these events affected you during the revision period and/or during the exam. You cannot now get this supporting evidence, statements from other people do not carry the same weight.

Factors affecting performance are usually only taken into account when you are awarded your final degree class, even then only when you are on the border between degree classes. So even if you had notified them prior to the exams, your circumstances may not have compensated enough for your exam marks, to allow you to continue on the course.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.