tantalised
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys. I want to apply to five Russell Group universities to study Law (including Cambridge). Is it worth my while doing an AS level in Critical Thinking? I am already studying four A levels (History, English Language and Literature (combined), Religious Studies and Sociology) plus an Extended Project Qualification.
tantalised
Help.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tantalised)
Hi guys. I want to apply to five Russell Group universities to study Law (including Cambridge). Is it worth my while doing an AS level in Critical Thinking? I am already studying four A levels (History, English Language and Literature (combined), Religious Studies and Sociology) plus an Extended Project Qualification.
No, it will not improve your application or chance of being made an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope. I'd strongly consider if there's any point doing an EPQ as well.
tantalised
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
Nope. I'd strongly consider if there's any point doing an EPQ as well.
Point taken about Critical Thinking.

An EPQ is valued by many universities though...
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Point taken about Critical Thinking.

An EPQ is valued by many universities though...
Not enough to justify hours of work just for a few lines in your personal statement. If it's truly valued, it would count towards the entry requirements, but in the vast majority of cases, it doesn't.
amiekey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't bother doing Critical Thinking.
As for your EPQ, it depends on how confident you are that it'll be helpful. Try and make your topic something relevant to your degree choice (helps to write about it on your personal statement) but different from what you study. For example, I did my EPQ about the education system and talked about indoctrination (which linked to my previous history and psychology lessons, but was ALSO super relevant to talk about when applying for Education Studies).

Only do an EPQ if you can make the most out of it to be relevant for your degree options.
tantalised
(Original post by amiekey)
Don't bother doing Critical Thinking.
As for your EPQ, it depends on how confident you are that it'll be helpful. Try and make your topic something relevant to your degree choice (helps to write about it on your personal statement) but different from what you study. For example, I did my EPQ about the education system and talked about indoctrination (which linked to my previous history and psychology lessons, but was ALSO super relevant to talk about when applying for Education Studies).

Only do an EPQ if you can make the most out of it to be relevant for your degree options.
Yes that makes perfect sense. I want to study Law so I am linking my EPQ to the study of Law. I'm not quite sure what my topic is going to be yet but yes I will definitely link it to my degree course.

I won't bother with the Critical Thinking as all you guys seem to think it's a pretty bad idea. I'll just stick with my four subjects and an EPQ. Thank you everyone for all your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (77)
16.38%
No one else does (142)
30.21%
I'm embarrassed about my background (55)
11.7%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (165)
35.11%
We don't use a video platform (8)
1.7%
I don't have a camera (11)
2.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.55%

Watched Threads