The Student Room Group

What do you wear for lectures/ tutorials/ practicals etc?

I will be starting at Oxford next week to study biology and I was just wondering if there was any sort of dress code required for things like lectures etc. I normally live in t-shirts/ jeans/ jumpers during the day and I was just wondering if this would be considered too informal.

Also, how often do you do your laundry (bedding/ towels included) and ironing while at Oxford?
At Oxford? If you don't wear a cravat and morning suit all the time you'll look weird.

Honestly.
Original post by Parrotperson
I will be starting at Oxford next week to study biology and I was just wondering if there was any sort of dress code required for things like lectures etc. I normally live in t-shirts/ jeans/ jumpers during the day and I was just wondering if this would be considered too informal.

Also, how often do you do your laundry (bedding/ towels included) and ironing while at Oxford?

Informal clothes are fine!
Granted I did music, so no labs for me, but the first 2.5 years I lived in hoodie and jeans combo. The last 3-6 months, I attended pretty much everything (including formal hall) in various sets of pyjamas :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Granted I did music, so no labs for me, but the first 2.5 years I lived in hoodie and jeans combo. The last 3-6 months, I attended pretty much everything (including formal hall) in various sets of pyjamas :tongue:

That's good to hear :smile: Wow really? Which college were you at?
Original post by Parrotperson
That's good to hear :smile: Wow really? Which college were you at?

Woosta (Worcester) :rave: :woo: :nutcase:

Hope you're excited to start! I don't know of many students who ironed btw.
Plaid and tartan.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Woosta (Worcester) :rave: :woo: :nutcase:

Hope you're excited to start! I don't know of many students who ironed btw.

My uncle was there many years ago and things have changed then- or else he just dressed up whenever he knew he was going to be photographed.
Reply 9
Wear whatever you like; no one will bat an eyelid.
Original post by barnetlad
My uncle was there many years ago and things have changed then- or else he just dressed up whenever he knew he was going to be photographed.

Haha :biggrin: There are people who take/took the dressing up thing more seriously than me. Especially some of the Junior Year Abroad students from the States. They took the whole dressing up think WAAAAAY too far :eek:

:hugs:
A student wearing a three-piece suit to a tutorial with a tutor wearing jeans and a T-shirt is not uncommon.
Original post by Estreth
A student wearing a three-piece suit to a tutorial with a tutor wearing jeans and a T-shirt is not uncommon.

When I was at De Montfort University, I was always wearing smart clothes (shirt and trousers), and on some occasions, I was wearing smarter clothes than some of the lecturers!

Most people wore jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits etc, basically anything that was comfortable! No dress codes at university :smile:
I've known people to wear pjs and slippers to tutes in college. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

You will probably be given some rules for labs though. I think ours were just no shorts and no open toed shoes. So you can still be as casual as you like.
Original post by princechromey
When I was at De Montfort University, I was always wearing smart clothes (shirt and trousers), and on some occasions, I was wearing smarter clothes than some of the lecturers!

Most people wore jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits etc, basically anything that was comfortable! No dress codes at university :smile:

Not strictly true at Oxford. For matriculation and exams there is a fairly strict dress code (sub fusc) and various occasions at various colleges have dress codes/require gowns. You can be fined for incorrect subfusc.
I'd go with a hoodie and really short shorts but really smart shoes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending