Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you wear for lectures/ tutorials/ practicals etc? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting at Oxford next week to study biology and I was just wondering if there was any sort of dress code required for things like lectures etc. I normally live in t-shirts/ jeans/ jumpers during the day and I was just wondering if this would be considered too informal.

Also, how often do you do your laundry (bedding/ towels included) and ironing while at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    At Oxford? If you don't wear a cravat and morning suit all the time you'll look weird.

Honestly.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotperson)
    I will be starting at Oxford next week to study biology and I was just wondering if there was any sort of dress code required for things like lectures etc. I normally live in t-shirts/ jeans/ jumpers during the day and I was just wondering if this would be considered too informal.

Also, how often do you do your laundry (bedding/ towels included) and ironing while at Oxford?
    Informal clothes are fine!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Granted I did music, so no labs for me, but the first 2.5 years I lived in hoodie and jeans combo. The last 3-6 months, I attended pretty much everything (including formal hall) in various sets of pyjamas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Granted I did music, so no labs for me, but the first 2.5 years I lived in hoodie and jeans combo. The last 3-6 months, I attended pretty much everything (including formal hall) in various sets of pyjamas
    That's good to hear Wow really? Which college were you at?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotperson)
    That's good to hear Wow really? Which college were you at?
    Woosta (Worcester) :rave: :woo: :nutcase:

Hope you're excited to start! I don't know of many students who ironed btw.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Plaid and tartan.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ja8uDjiM8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Woosta (Worcester) :rave: :woo: :nutcase:

Hope you're excited to start! I don't know of many students who ironed btw.
    My uncle was there many years ago and things have changed then- or else he just dressed up whenever he knew he was going to be photographed.

ReputationRep:
    Wear whatever you like; no one will bat an eyelid.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    My uncle was there many years ago and things have changed then- or else he just dressed up whenever he knew he was going to be photographed.
    Haha There are people who take/took the dressing up thing more seriously than me. Especially some of the Junior Year Abroad students from the States. They took the whole dressing up think WAAAAAY too far :eek:

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    A student wearing a three-piece suit to a tutorial with a tutor wearing jeans and a T-shirt is not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estreth)
    A student wearing a three-piece suit to a tutorial with a tutor wearing jeans and a T-shirt is not uncommon.
    When I was at De Montfort University, I was always wearing smart clothes (shirt and trousers), and on some occasions, I was wearing smarter clothes than some of the lecturers!

Most people wore jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits etc, basically anything that was comfortable! No dress codes at university

ReputationRep:
    I've known people to wear pjs and slippers to tutes in college. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

You will probably be given some rules for labs though. I think ours were just no shorts and no open toed shoes. So you can still be as casual as you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princechromey)
    When I was at De Montfort University, I was always wearing smart clothes (shirt and trousers), and on some occasions, I was wearing smarter clothes than some of the lecturers!

Most people wore jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits etc, basically anything that was comfortable! No dress codes at university
    Not strictly true at Oxford. For matriculation and exams there is a fairly strict dress code (sub fusc) and various occasions at various colleges have dress codes/require gowns. You can be fined for incorrect subfusc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with a hoodie and really short shorts but really smart shoes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.