What do you wear for lectures/ tutorials/ practicals etc?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting at Oxford next week to study biology and I was just wondering if there was any sort of dress code required for things like lectures etc. I normally live in t-shirts/ jeans/ jumpers during the day and I was just wondering if this would be considered too informal.

Also, how often do you do your laundry (bedding/ towels included) and ironing while at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    At Oxford? If you don't wear a cravat and morning suit all the time you'll look weird.

Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotperson)
    I will be starting at Oxford next week to study biology and I was just wondering if there was any sort of dress code required for things like lectures etc. I normally live in t-shirts/ jeans/ jumpers during the day and I was just wondering if this would be considered too informal.

Also, how often do you do your laundry (bedding/ towels included) and ironing while at Oxford?
    Informal clothes are fine!

ReputationRep:
    Granted I did music, so no labs for me, but the first 2.5 years I lived in hoodie and jeans combo. The last 3-6 months, I attended pretty much everything (including formal hall) in various sets of pyjamas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Granted I did music, so no labs for me, but the first 2.5 years I lived in hoodie and jeans combo. The last 3-6 months, I attended pretty much everything (including formal hall) in various sets of pyjamas
    That's good to hear Wow really? Which college were you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotperson)
    That's good to hear Wow really? Which college were you at?
    Woosta (Worcester) :rave: :woo: :nutcase:

Hope you're excited to start! I don't know of many students who ironed btw.

ReputationRep:
    Plaid and tartan.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ja8uDjiM8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Woosta (Worcester) :rave: :woo: :nutcase:

Hope you're excited to start! I don't know of many students who ironed btw.
    My uncle was there many years ago and things have changed then- or else he just dressed up whenever he knew he was going to be photographed.

ReputationRep:
    Wear whatever you like; no one will bat an eyelid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    My uncle was there many years ago and things have changed then- or else he just dressed up whenever he knew he was going to be photographed.
    Haha There are people who take/took the dressing up thing more seriously than me. Especially some of the Junior Year Abroad students from the States. They took the whole dressing up think WAAAAAY too far :eek:

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    A student wearing a three-piece suit to a tutorial with a tutor wearing jeans and a T-shirt is not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estreth)
    A student wearing a three-piece suit to a tutorial with a tutor wearing jeans and a T-shirt is not uncommon.
    When I was at De Montfort University, I was always wearing smart clothes (shirt and trousers), and on some occasions, I was wearing smarter clothes than some of the lecturers!

Most people wore jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits etc, basically anything that was comfortable! No dress codes at university

ReputationRep:
    I've known people to wear pjs and slippers to tutes in college. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

You will probably be given some rules for labs though. I think ours were just no shorts and no open toed shoes. So you can still be as casual as you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princechromey)
    When I was at De Montfort University, I was always wearing smart clothes (shirt and trousers), and on some occasions, I was wearing smarter clothes than some of the lecturers!

Most people wore jeans, t-shirts, tracksuits etc, basically anything that was comfortable! No dress codes at university
    Not strictly true at Oxford. For matriculation and exams there is a fairly strict dress code (sub fusc) and various occasions at various colleges have dress codes/require gowns. You can be fined for incorrect subfusc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with a hoodie and really short shorts but really smart shoes

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.