Gap Medics and BMAT/UKCAT Dilemma

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'll be applying to university in the autumn of 2017 and I am therefore trying to get as much work experience as I can. I will be doing one voluntary placement with a paediatric surgeon, another voluntary place tbc, and I would be fundraising for my gap medic place. My question is: should I be spending most of my summer revising for the UKCAT (which I would be sitting at the latest date possible) and the BMAT, in which case should I not do gap medics in order to have 2 more weeks for revision? Any information is appreciated

There are study rooms at the gap medics houses

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what gap medics is (sounds like something that would have a high profit margin for those running it) but safe to say that 2 weeks revision is not going to make that much of a difference. Just start 2 weeks earlier. For the BMAT in particular you'll have loads of time after you get back surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I don't know what gap medics is (sounds like something that would have a high profit margin for those running it) but safe to say that 2 weeks revision is not going to make that much of a difference. Just start 2 weeks earlier. For the BMAT in particular you'll have loads of time after you get back surely?
    Gap medics is basically work experience abroad yeah I'd have quite a bit of time I just don't want to overwhelm myself with a load of work to do when I'm back I guess 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You probably only need 2-3 weeks for UKCAT, a couple of months for bmat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HouseOfRichman)
    I'll be applying to university in the autumn of 2017 and I am therefore trying to get as much work experience as I can. I will be doing one voluntary placement with a paediatric surgeon, another voluntary place tbc, and I would be fundraising for my gap medic place. My question is: should I be spending most of my summer revising for the UKCAT (which I would be sitting at the latest date possible) and the BMAT, in which case should I not do gap medics in order to have 2 more weeks for revision? Any information is appreciated

There are study rooms at the gap medics houses
    I did GapMedics, are you doing the Warsaw placement? I don't think there was a study room there..?

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely say don't do Gap Medics!! The UKCAT is often the most important part (or close to it) of selection for interview. Gap Medics doesn't really prove a whole lot apart from the fact that you have the money to do it! IMO it would be much better to focus on getting a good UKCAT score and finding other work experience / volunteering in the UK

ReputationRep:
    I did Gap Medics in Tanzania and it was the best decision I have ever made!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gap medics meh... Work experience here in the UK is enough, and at the end of the day they don't care what you did. they care about what you have learnt from it.

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT takes two weeks to prep, in my opinion.

In terms of the gap medic placement, it's obviously your choice but it's a lot of money and I wouldn't say unis look at it any differently than other work experience. If you can, show some intuition and sort some medical experience yourself. I spent less travelling India for 6 months than you would for one of those trips and I volunteered in schools and various hospital wards. But, like I said, it's up to you. I have heard good things from those placements, and I won't lie, I was contemplating going on one a while ago but I'm glad I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.