The Student Room Group

Does computer science have more programming or maths?

Hi, I was considering for applying for a computer science degree through ucas and it's been something I've been considering for a couple of years now. I was wandering does computer science have a lot of maths in it rather than programming? Also do uni's help explain the maths side of it well? Because I'm in two minds between computer networks and security and computer science. Thanks 🙂
The better the Uni you go to, the more maths that is involved, this can be a good or bad thing.
Definitely depends on the Uni, but it's much less that you expect in general (Maths)
Reply 3
Maths. But there are also modules which are neither maths nor programming e.g. hardware modules or 'business computing' modules.
Reply 4
Original post by el0hssa
Maths. But there are also modules which are neither maths nor programming e.g. hardware modules or 'business computing' modules.

Thanks for your reply 🙂. Is the maths hard to grasp? Also do the lecturers make the maths easy to understand?
Highly depends which modules you take, AI usually has the most math.
Original post by el0hssa

I have these and they are the worse modules :'(
Depends on the uni. my uni is quite heavy on the discrete maths/logic but not much continuous maths really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by _Hr123
Thanks for your reply 🙂. Is the maths hard to grasp? Also do the lecturers make the maths easy to understand?

Lecturers vary A LOT. From brilliant and inspiring to absolutely terrible. I wouldn't say the maths is too hard. I found it easier then A-Level maths but defo well above GCSE.
Reply 9
Completely depends on which modules you take. I've had to do very little maths, outside of waveforms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending