HELP! I think I have tonsillitis and I have a date tomorrow!

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so basically my right tonsil is completely white. It is swollen, and it looks horrible! I also have a hard swollen lump on the right side of my neck, as well as spitting blood, like actual blood not just "pink" colour, it is blood red.

I have noticed with all this that there was a smell, I wasn't sure if I had maybe "followed through" at first, when I noticed it. It smells that bad. It was only when I smelt it on my toothbrush that I realized. I have had this since Sunday, and I had hoped it would have cleared up by now. Unfortunately it hasn't and I have a date with a girl I like tomorrow, but I can't go with this smelly breath that no amount of brushing or chewing gum seems to clear!

I know what the most common response may be, postpone the date until you are better, but I have already done this two weeks ago when something came up, if I do this again, at such late notice it might mess up my chances! I simply have to go on this one!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, advice on how to get rid of the smell? If I scrape off this "white stuff" on my tonsil, will the smell go? I don't mind if it comes back in a day or two, as long as the smell goes. Is there something that could cover up the smell? Or even better is there something that could eradicate it in 24 hours?

Please, any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to cancel but I certainly don't want to kiss her for the first time with this stinking breath, that would as good as mess this up also. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slaw92)
    Yeah, so basically my right tonsil is completely white. It is swollen, and it looks horrible! I also have a hard swollen lump on the right side of my neck, as well as spitting blood, like actual blood not just "pink" colour, it is blood red. .
    Forget the date. Go and see a doctor, that sounds serious.

ReputationRep:
    There'll be no playing Tonsil Tennis for you two tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so basically my right tonsil is completely white. It is swollen, and it looks horrible! I also have a hard swollen lump on the right side of my neck, as well as spitting blood, like actual blood not just "pink" colour, it is blood red.

I have noticed with all this that there was a smell, I wasn't sure if I had maybe "followed through" at first, when I noticed it. It smells that bad. It was only when I smelt it on my toothbrush that I realized. I have had this since Sunday, and I had hoped it would have cleared up by now. Unfortunately it hasn't and I have a date with a girl I like tomorrow, but I can't go with this smelly breath that no amount of brushing or chewing gum seems to clear!

I know what the most common response may be, postpone the date until you are better, but I have already done this two weeks ago when something came up, if I do this again, at such late notice it might mess up my chances! I simply have to go on this one!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, advice on how to get rid of the smell? If I scrape off this "white stuff" on my tonsil, will the smell go? I don't mind if it comes back in a day or two, as long as the smell goes. Is there something that could cover up the smell? Or even better is there something that could eradicate it in 24 hours?

Please, any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to cancel but I certainly don't want to kiss her for the first time with this stinking breath, that would as good as mess this up also. Thank you.
    You idiot, tonsillitis is usually contagious, you shouldn't go at all!

ReputationRep:

Please quarantine yourself and spare this poor girl.

P.S. TSR is not a GP surgery, go to yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Forget the date. Go and see a doctor, that sounds serious.
    Doctor appointments for my surgery are almost impossible to get within two weeks. Do you think it would be serious enough for an emergency appointment? They can give you them the same day if it is serious enough but I don't wish to take one if it isn't anything that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    You idiot, tonsillitis is usually contagious, you shouldn't go at all!
    I'm ignorant when it comes to tonsillitis but please don't call me an idiot. What do you mean "usually" contagious, is this mostly the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    Please quarantine yourself and spare this poor girl.

P.S. TSR is not a GP surgery, go to yours.
    This is a health forum I was under the impression that you discuss health issues here? If it was as simple as phoning a doctor and getting an appointment, I would, but there are no appointments available for the next two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ignorant when it comes to tonsillitis but please don't call me an idiot. What do you mean "usually" contagious, is this mostly the case?
    I meant it in a 'silly' way, not 'you dumb ***** way'.
    Baby *whispers* please, don't go. *hugs you* It's usually contagious, she'll catch it from you. And she will......hate you.
    Better? :laugh:

But yeah seriously it is contagious most of the time. Here, look what uncle google says about it:
    "Most acute infections of the tonsils are due to viruses or bacteria and usually is contagious by direct person-to-person contact. Tonsillitis caused by a virus infection usually is contagious for about 7-10 days. Bacterial tonsillitis can remain contagious for about two weeks."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    There'll be no playing Tonsil Tennis for you two tomorrow.
    Unfortunately I think you may be correct!

ReputationRep:
    This is a health forum I was under the impression that you discuss health issues here? If it was as simple as phoning a doctor and getting an appointment, I would, but there are no appointments available for the next two weeks.
    Yeah because they only created 111 for the jokes and GP practices would ignore such a serious, contagious health issue.

ReputationRep:
    Phone up your GP, tell them exactly what you have said here, and you will get an appointment. You need antibiotics. Then explain nicely to the girl and rearrange. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I meant it in a 'silly' way, not 'you dumb ***** way'.
    Baby *whispers* please, don't go. *hugs you* It's usually contagious, she'll catch it from you. And she will......hate you.
    Better? :laugh:

But yeah seriously it is contagious most of the time. Here, look what uncle google says about it:
    "Most acute infections of the tonsils are due to viruses or bacteria and usually is contagious by direct person-to-person contact. Tonsillitis caused by a virus infection usually is contagious for about 7-10 days. Bacterial tonsillitis can remain contagious for about two weeks."
    Oh ok, my bad 🙂.. Yeah you make a convincing point, perhaps taking the risk of p****** her off by cancelling again would be much better than risking her with tonsillitis, I just hope she believes I have it, I mean I could prove it but I think showing her what it looks like would be a slight deal breaker also 😂.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, my bad 🙂.. Yeah you make a convincing point, perhaps taking the risk of p****** her off by cancelling again would be much better than risking her with tonsillitis, I just hope she believes I have it, I mean I could prove it but I think showing her what it looks like would be a slight deal breaker also 😂.
    Yeah just apologise and take her somewhere nice when you're all better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Yeah just apologise and take her somewhere nice when you're all better.
    Yeah that seems like the best course of action. Thanks for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Phone up your GP, tell them exactly what you have said here, and you will get an appointment. You need antibiotics. Then explain nicely to the girl and rearrange. :yep:
    Thanks for your reply! I have phoned up and managed to arrange an appointment for tomorrow morning after explaining! When explaining should I just tell her the truth or come up with something less disgusting?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply! I have phoned up and managed to arrange an appointment for tomorrow morning after explaining! When explaining should I just tell her the truth or come up with something less disgusting?
    Perhaps just say you have the flu and you don't want her to get sick?

ReputationRep:
    dont suck his dick Attachment 583410583412583400
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I'd rearrange. It'd be a shame for you both to be ill! I'm not sure that'd help you out either if you got her sick Let her know you have tonsillitis, she won't want to catch it, and that you'd really love to reschedule something for when you're better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Perhaps just say you have the flu and you don't want her to get sick?
    If you were set to go on a date with a guy and he cancelled due to tonsillitis would it put you off? I'm not sure if flu is serious enough to cancel but I will try that if tonsillitis would be too honest.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.