Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

5th Oct: Would you pay to get a better smile? Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Would you pay to get a better smile?

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on The Surgery this week to hear how important our dental health is. From getting braces (like Gemma) to whitening and veneers, do you yearn for a megawatt smile?

How important is a brilliant smile? Are your teeth hampering your confidence? What would you give to get a perfect grin?

Share your stories below and join Radio 1 at 9pm on Wednesday 5th October for help and advice on boosting your smile.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    Is it was really bad, and I had the money too then yes.
    If it wasn't, I would not pay for it, and instead give the money, I would use for my luxury, to someone who needs the necessity.
    Fortunately, I got my teeth done, and my braces came off last year, december.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yes. One of the most important things in life. :teeth:

Everything else follows naturally
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My teeth aren't the worst but they could definitely be improved. People usually think my teeth are what cause my body dysmorphia but they aren't. I do try and smile without showing them a lot of the time though and I hate talking to new people face to face because of them as I know teeth are often the first thing someone notices when they look at you.

I wouldn't mind paying money to get them fixed. It's not money that's stopping me from getting them fixed, it's nerves. I've always had a fear of going to the dentist and I have anxiety in general so going to the dentist even for a check up is a nightmare but I want perfect teeth for my upcoming wedding so I'll just have to grin and bear it, pardon the pun

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Teeth are very important to me. I already get them whitened, and have had braces before like 11 years ago. I would get retainers again if I could afford it just to keep them perfectly straight because they've slightly moved back. I also recently chipped one of my front teeth slightly and it bugs me so much even though its barely visible

ReputationRep:
    I wore braces for a few years because my teeth were skewed and growing in at all different angles and some were higher up than others and my mouth was a bit of a mess. It was free on the NHS, but I think I also would've paid for that, because it made me feel better when I smiled - before, when I smiled, I had teeth sticking out even with a closed-mouth smile, so I felt self-conscious about it.

I don't think I'd pay anything else, though. Maybe if I had extremely yellow teeth, I would whiten, but otherwise, I'm happy with my teeth the way they are now that they've been straightened.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like my teeth at all and I think they're the only "major" physical insecurity that I have. Its an instant reflex for me to cover my mouth when I laugh if someone is looking at me and I rarely smile with my teeth just a closed lips wide smile. Especially since its something that I did used to get teased about when I was younger. When I get the money, I'll deffo fix them
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    100% yes if I had the money.
    I despise my teeth and mouth in general. I'm hoping to get braces soon but I've been on the waiting list for an eternity and recently found out I'll have to have surgery before it's even possible to start orthodontic treatment
    Considering there's only a year and 4 months until I'm 18 it's looking like I might have to pay after all 😞

My teeth absolutely crush my confidence. I can't show them when I smile, I cover my mouth every time I talk to new people because I'm so scared of them judging me on my teeth. It also upsets me because a nice smile is usually at the top of so many peoples' list and the fact that I haven't got one makes me very self-conscious

(Original post by BBC Radio 1)

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on The Surgery this week to hear how important our dental health is. From getting braces (like Gemma) to whitening and veneers, do you yearn for a megawatt smile

?How important is a brilliant smile? Are your teeth hampering your confidence? What would you give to get a perfect grin?

Share your stories below and join Radio 1 at 9pm on Wednesday 5th October for help and advice on boosting your smile.

If you smile a lot it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on The Surgery this week to hear how important our dental health is. From getting braces (like Gemma) to whitening and veneers, do you yearn for a megawatt smile

?How important is a brilliant smile? Are your teeth hampering your confidence? What would you give to get a perfect grin?

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my teeth are a bit misaligned because my jaw is really small, I'd like to get some of those invisible braces to correct it but I haven't got the money atm. I'll probably get them whitened in the future as well.

ReputationRep:
    My teeth are straight already; the most I would pay is for whitening toothpaste

Dunno what veneers and artificial whitening products have to do with so-called 'dental health' tbh. looks like the bbc is running veneer industry propaganda.

veneers involve destroying your teeth by grinding the natural, permanent enamal protective layer off and gluing a temporary fake layer over the ruins. when the fakes start to flake off you're looking at more astronomical dental bills - no options now, your natural teeth are ruined, ground off stumps.

the late David Bowie had eyes of different colours - afaik nobody said 'David your eyes don't look perfectly symmetrical - those are unhealthy eyes and you should get some damaging superficial and temporary procedure done to improve your 'health''

embrace your differences

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't pay. I'm happy with my smile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    My front teeth, top center, are an odd shape. It looks like they were both chipped and they form like an arch shape. They just grew like that for some reason. I get them filled in to have a straight edge on the bottom. The only thing other than that that I would pay for is whitening. I have a big chip in another tooth near the front but you can't really see it. I wouldn't pay out for veneers or anything like that. If I needed braces, I'd get them if my teeth were particularly misaligned, but would try to avoid it. Before I started having the front ones shaped, I used to be incredibly self conscious. I'd hang my head down when I smiled or laughed. People used to comment on it. I still do those things a lot now, but not to the same extent. I think it's partly out of habit now

ReputationRep:
    I've never really been bothered by teeth. I don't get why people get so obsessive about them. I only had my teeth straightened for hygenic reasons(they overlapped so I couldn't clean them properly). Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered. I never look at people's teeth when I talk to them. It's pretty much the last feature I pay any attention to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I have not to invest money, as I am contented with my smile. The dentist said that I have teeth in a good health condition. That is the most important for myself. And the fact that no a single tooth is hurting. That is fine, everything is fine. I would just go to an oral surgeon, if it is really necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I can say that have had my teeth whitened and have had a white gold tooth cap (replaced with platinum)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    My teeth are straight already; the most I would pay is for whitening toothpaste
    Can this toothpaste be bought in a drugstore? is it more expensive than an ordinary toothpaste? would love to test it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You can't pay to get a better smile, because it comes from within. Gleaming white tombstone teeth do not a true 'better' smile make.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
Radio 1 - The Surgery

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.