Strange biorhythms

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had partied yesterday (probably all night), came home today at noon and went to bed. It's late in the afternoon now, almost evening, and she's still sleeping. What the heck? I could understand sleeping until 2 pm, but 5 pm? What in the world..

I've asked one of my friends if this is normal and he said that he also partied the other day, came home at 4 a.m. and slept until 8.30 pm (what the heck?!). I don't understand this at all, that's 16.5 hours of sleep!! It's completely unhealthy.

I'm a very healthy person - I work out regularly and I eat and sleep correctly (7 am - 10 pm). When I get home at say, 4 am, I would be back bright and awake at 10 am.
    As added information I'd like to say that I'm 30+ and they're also near their 30's.

And so, medical and biology-savvy students, could you tell me why these people's biorhythms let them sleep this much and why they don't wake up at normal hours? Is it because of large alcohol consumption? Why is it that I feel fresh and ready after so few hours of sleep and they don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)
    One of my friends had partied yesterday (probably all night), came home today at noon and went to bed. It's late in the afternoon now, almost evening, and she's still sleeping. What the heck? I could understand sleeping until 2 pm, but 5 pm? What in the world..

I've asked one of my friends if this is normal and he said that he also partied the other day, came home at 4 a.m. and slept until 8.30 pm (what the heck?!). I don't understand this at all, that's 16.5 hours of sleep!! It's completely unhealthy.

I'm a very healthy person - I work out regularly and I eat and sleep correctly (7 am - 10 pm). When I get home at say, 4 am, I would be back bright and awake at 10 am.
    As added information I'd like to say that I'm 30+ and they're also near their 30's.

And so, medical and biology-savvy students, could you tell me why these people's biorhythms let them sleep this much and why they don't wake up at normal hours? Is it because of large alcohol consumption? Why is it that I feel fresh and ready after so few hours of sleep and they don't?
    I'm no med student or anything but I can tell you I uesed to need to sleep at least 12 hours a day to function and often needed naps in the day too. For a while I was going to bed at 12 and waking up at 7pm. For me it was because of a mix of depression, vitaminD and iron deficiency and hypothyroidism.
    There are some medical reasons people need to sleep more than others and in this sort of case alcohol tollerance could also come into it. Some people just need to sleep more too. I don't know specific reasons, but I do know there are a fair few.
    It may be that your friends are nearer their limit on a day to day basis so when something pushes them over it like a long night out they need more time to recover. I used to need a week to recover from one day of activity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I'm no med student or anything but I can tell you I uesed to need to sleep at least 12 hours a day to function and often needed naps in the day too. For a while I was going to bed at 12 and waking up at 7pm. For me it was because of a mix of depression, vitaminD and iron deficiency and hypothyroidism.
    There are some medical reasons people need to sleep more than others and in this sort of case alcohol tollerance could also come into it. Some people just need to sleep more too. I don't know specific reasons, but I do know there are a fair few.
    It may be that your friends are nearer their limit on a day to day basis so when something pushes them over it like a long night out they need more time to recover. I used to need a week to recover from one day of activity.
    Very interesting indeed.

Both these people I know probably have a lack of vitamin D as they both eat mostly fast food and I know one of them for sure has an iron deficiency but I don't know about the hypothyroidism even though that is probable as well as they are extremely thin.
    One of them can tolerate alcohol pretty well, while the other can't. Both of them work full-time hard labor jobs, pushing themselves every day.

Come to think of it, one of them constantly falls asleep and constantly has to nap and consume coffee, so many times that it isn't even reasonable anymore (like the required multiple naps you talked about). I just watch these people doze off like helpless beings, while I am fresh and strong. It's odd to watch sometimes. I keep wondering: what's the matter with them - why do they need to nap so often? And so, now I know a little better.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.