Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Mathematics and Finance Career Advice

ReputationRep:
    First of all I'm currently in my A-level year of college studying Further Maths, Maths and Physics. As for my uni perspectives I'm thinking of going for a Applied mathematics or Pure mathematics degree and then obtaining a Masters in Accountancy or Finances.

Here are my questions:
    1. Which would be preferred for a future career in Finance Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics?
    2. Would studying in a university such as Warwick or Bath (instead of a uni in London) affect my chances of getting job in the finance industry?
    3. Is there currently a high demand for post graduates with Mathematics degree and Masters in Finance in the industry?
    4. Is this a plausible scenario or should I just go for the safe option of a engineering degree?

Thanks for all the answers and feel free to provide any further details that you might consider significant.

ReputationRep:
    1) They are both equally good.
    2) Studying any subject at the following universities would be better:
    Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, Durham, KCL
    3) Yes, for people with a PhD or MSc in Mathematics there is quite a bit of demand.
    4) It is a plausible scenario but you could still have the same opportunities with an engineering degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom22561)
    First of all I'm currently in my A-level year of college studying Further Maths, maths and Physics. As for my uni perspectives I'm thinking of going for a Applied mathematics or Pure mathematics degree and then obtaining a Masters in Accountancy or Finances.

Here are my questions:
    1. Which would be preferred for a future career in Finance Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics?
    2. Would studying in a university such as Warwick or Bath (instead of a uni in London) affect my chances of getting job in the finance industry?
    3. Is there currently a high demand for post graduates in the Finance industry?
    4. Is this a plausible scenario or should I just go for the safe option of a engineering degree?

Thanks for all the answers and feel free to provide any further details that you might consider significant.
    I'm final year maths student looking to get involved in finance now so this is what I will say.

1. Doesn't matter as far as I know if you do maths degree you will end up taking a mix in first year and then you will have more choices later on, do whatever you prefer it will have little impact imo.

2. There is some bias towards different uni's especially on the top level of jobs but having a good university is not enough on it's own. I know of 2 people who applied for the same job neither of them got it but the one who went to oxford for maths didn't even get an interview whereas the other guy (maths at newcastle) did. Try to go to the best university for you.

3. I'm not sure of any significant advantage of having a post grad application, most places are fine with just a 3yr course although I guess it wouldn't hurt if that's what you want. And yes there is definitely demand for jobs in finance all the time but there is also a lot of competition.

4. Pick whichever degree you want to do more don't pick your degree based upon what job you want (unless you are entirely sure obviously).
    A degree in maths or engineering both have good prospects.

Big advice I can give is try to secure internships over the summers between yr1-2 and yr2-3 this will help you a lot from my experience. I never did and I regret it because it's making my life harder now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigTraderBoi)
    1) They are both equally good.
    2) Studying any subject at the following universities would be better:
    Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath, Durham, KCL
    3) Yes, for people with a PhD or MSc in Mathematics there is quite a bit of demand.
    4) It is a plausible scenario but you could still have the same opportunities with an engineering degree.
    so a mechanical engineering degree and then a masters in finance would give me the same opportunities as a mathematics degree and a masters in fiance ?

ReputationRep:
    so a mechanical engineering degree and then a masters in finance would give me the same opportunities as a mathematics degree and a masters in fiance ?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make a difference as has already been stated above.
    In order to improve your chances try to attend a target or semi-target institution.
    The Universities you have listed above are good places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigTraderBoi)
    Yes
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkAndGrowRich)
    It doesn't make a difference as has already been stated above.
    In order to improve your chances try to attend a target or semi-target institution.
    The Universities you have listed above are good places.
    thanks for the clarification

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.