Predicted grades

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have just got my predicted grades (I still have two more to go my History and Extended project) I am looking to study History at University and two of my top choices have the entry requirements of 3A's, with the hope that I get this grade predicted in History, I am not sure if I will due to being predicted a B in Sociology. I gained a low B in the exam but I know I can get an A if I work hard, I don't believe this is a true reflection of my abilities, as I received ABBB at AS, and could instead tried a lot harder and was expecting lower results. Is there anything I can do that will make him predict me an A, I can't stop worrying about it at is I have to hand in my application soon.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is coming from a mother

Firstly don't worry until you know what the prediction is, it could be all be fine.

Then if your History prediction is a B formulate a plan to take to a discussion with the teacher.

I had parents evening last night and we needed to get my sons Maths prediction up one more grade for him to stand a chance at university applications for Economics as Maths was integral to the courses he wants to apply for.

It took 20 minutes of discussion and wasn't an easy ride, if we just said he would work harder it wouldn't have been successful.

I went with past papers he had taken with much better results than his AS result - teacher said they weren't taken in exam condition.
    We had just placed son with a private tutor for Maths help an hour a week.
    He's sitting in on the year below Maths lessons when he has free periods to go over a module again.
    Sons second Maths teacher was called to give an opinion and luckily he thought more highly of my sons abilities with all the other factors I've mentioned, so it was agreed that his prediction would go up a level.

So think about what case you can make ....not just you will work harder
    Have you taken extra reading from the library , started independent research on the history module course work if that's been given to yet, show how enthusiastic you are about the subject, state what courses you have looked at and the entry requirements.

Good luck IF you need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumofson)
    This is coming from a mother

Firstly don't worry until you know what the prediction is, it could be all be fine.

Then if your History prediction is a B formulate a plan to take to a discussion with the teacher.

I had parents evening last night and we needed to get my sons Maths prediction up one more grade for him to stand a chance at university applications for Economics as Maths was integral to the courses he wants to apply for.

It took 20 minutes of discussion and wasn't an easy ride, if we just said he would work harder it wouldn't have been successful.

I went with past papers he had taken with much better results than his AS result - teacher said they weren't taken in exam condition.
    We had just placed son with a private tutor for Maths help an hour a week.
    He's sitting in on the year below Maths lessons when he has free periods to go over a module again.
    Sons second Maths teacher was called to give an opinion and luckily he thought more highly of my sons abilities with all the other factors I've mentioned, so it was agreed that his prediction would go up a level.

So think about what case you can make ....not just you will work harder
    Have you taken extra reading from the library , started independent research on the history module course work if that's been given to yet, show how enthusiastic you are about the subject, state what courses you have looked at and the entry requirements.

Good luck IF you need it.
    Thanks for the help. I'm seeing my Sociology teacher and I am going to go with essays that I previously done it in class which have been marked at A- grade, I am also going to offer to complete further essays to give to him to really prove I can word hard and am capable of doing so. Thank you for your kind words, and say well done to your son for getting good predicted grades!

ReputationRep:
    Ah it's the Sociology B you are worried about. Yes just gather as much work as you can to show, do you only have the one teacher in the subject ? Did you apply for a copy of your AS exam back - if you did you could say what areas your weaknesses were in and how to intend to fill gaps in your knowledge. I'm not sure if this one teacher knows how well you are doing in your other subjects , explain your full set of results so they see how well you have balanced your revision across all your subjects. Do you have a form teacher who is helping you with uni applications - discuss your goals with them and get them on board to strengthen your case. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumofson)
    Ah it's the Sociology B you are worried about. Yes just gather as much work as you can to show, do you only have the one teacher in the subject ? Did you apply for a copy of your AS exam back - if you did you could say what areas your weaknesses were in and how to intend to fill gaps in your knowledge. I'm not sure if this one teacher knows how well you are doing in your other subjects , explain your full set of results so they see how well you have balanced your revision across all your subjects. Do you have a form teacher who is helping you with uni applications - discuss your goals with them and get them on board to strengthen your case. All the best.
    I have two Sociology teachers, the other one who doesn't predicted our grades seems much more understanding, if I get the chance I will try speak to her tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, positive thinking and stand strong !

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.