Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Good Idea to use CGP for Biology OCR AS

ReputationRep:
    Good idea to use the cgp Biology textbook along with the offical endorced textbook (OCR A Oxford)? Because I feel like there just to much info in the offical books :/

(My School has also given us the heinmann textbooks as well)

Quick question: Which book should I base most of my notes oN?

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I primarily used the CGP book last year for my AS, I did end up getting an A. I would recommend using two or even three books to write notes so you can make sure you went over everything. In the exam, there were around 3 questions that I couldn't answer to the fullest because I didn't know the content. The book I also recommend is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biolo...biology+ocr+as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Good idea to use the cgp Biology textbook along with the offical endorced textbook (OCR A Oxford)? Because I feel like there just to much info in the offical books :/

(My School has also given us the heinmann textbooks as well)

Quick question: Which book should I base most of my notes oN?
    I have the OCR Oxford one as well and I agree, there's so much information in the the book. I recently bought the CGP - Complete Course for OCR A book (not the revision guide) that I am finding really helpful in explaining the basic knowledge in a clear manner as it has just about everything you need to know for the exam. However, it does not go into as much detail as the official textbook and perhaps is too simple, so I'd recommend using both or more books if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selgomez11)
    Hey
    I primarily used the CGP book last year for my AS, I did end up getting an A. I would recommend using two or even three books to write notes so you can make sure you went over everything. In the exam, there were around 3 questions that I couldn't answer to the fullest because I didn't know the content. The book I also recommend is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biolo...biology+ocr+as
    WOW congratz man! Thanks for the insight and yeah I got the book but as the full alevel edition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiefuller)
    I have the OCR Oxford one as well and I agree, there's so much information in the the book. I recently bought the CGP - Complete Course for OCR A book (not the revision guide) that I am finding really helpful in explaining the basic knowledge in a clear manner as it has just about everything you need to know for the exam. However, it does not go into as much detail as the official textbook and perhaps is too simple, so I'd recommend using both or more books if possible.
    Thanks!!!! I use both then + does the cgp book explain about iodine as a stain? cuz the ofxord book doesnt talk about it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Thanks!!!! I use both then + does the cgp book explain about iodine as a stain? cuz the ofxord book doesnt talk about it :/
    Do you mean as a stain for microscopy? Bc I don't think it does - it talks about methylene blue, eosin and Giemsa stain a little bit but not iodine. It does talk the iodine food test? If that's not what you mean you might not need to learn about it for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Oh alright Thanks a lot! I have a question, the book talks about how to prepare the wet mount, but it says that you should push the slip onto the water droplet. But in the official textbook it only says you should keep it at an angle :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used the cgp revision guide, I found it very helpful. Between the revision guide and past papers I got a full UMS in both biology AS papers (and the same at A2).

ReputationRep:
    Congratz! Could you please explain the preparation of a wet mount, I don't get it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.