Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I drink on average half a litre of irn-bru everyday and I fear it may be having a bad effect on my health. Someone said something about it stripping calcium from your bones, lowering your sperm count and more things.

Is there any scientific evidence for these or is there no problem with it?

ReputationRep:
    No fizzy drinks are particularly healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    I drink on average half a litre of irn-bru everyday and I fear it may be having a bad effect on my health. Someone said something about it stripping calcium from your bones, lowering your sperm count and more things.

It won't be good for you, but 500ml isn't much really. Its not like you're drinking 3 litres a day of the stuff.

ReputationRep:

That stuff is nasty. drink water

ReputationRep:
    Urban legend, I'd say.

Course fizzy drinks are not brilliant for you, especially one with such a high sugar/e-number content as The Bru. But I drink a lot of it myself. I get headaches sometimes, and I'd say it's the drink.

But considering how much sugar and E numbers there are in practically everything else we eat, unless you're on a detox diet, the Irn-Bru won't make any difference.

ReputationRep:

Well it wont do you any good but I would think that those problems are just speculation - if it really did all those things then nobody would drink it and it would probaly be illegal (like how Coke managed to make water give people cancer :rolleyes: ).

ReputationRep:

There has been some research into how carbonated drinks could strip calcium from bones.

http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/9456.html

I would worry more about the sugar content making you put on weight and dissolving your teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It won't be good for you, but 500ml isn't much really. Its not like you're drinking 3 litres a day of the stuff.
    Like Coca-cola, perchance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    Like Coca-cola, perchance?
    Yep all fizzy drinks are probably as bad as each other but the ones that contain cafiene are worse.

ReputationRep:
    At the rate you are drinking that crap you will end up with osteoporosis by the age of 30... say hello to broken bones and painful hip fractures... You have no self control to cut down the amount you drink... which is pretty pathetic, i can't stand a weak person.

ReputationRep:
    it's REALLY bad for your teeth but I've not heard of anything else and as long as you clean your teath properly you should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    I heard you turn orange...or was that sunny delight?

ReputationRep:
    I heard you turn orange...or was that sunny delight?
    Thats sunny delight.

ReputationRep:
    Sunnny D did turn a few people yellow/orange. I will try and drink just water for a week-its a bit much but it will probably help. Putting on weight would be a good think because I'm hell skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Thats sunny delight.
    Thought so

ReputationRep:
    I've given up fizzy drinks - mainly because of the obscene sugar content, but also because they are bad for your teeth/bones etc. Water and fruit juice make me feel so much healthier

Also... Apparently in the UK (or maybe just Scotland?) Irn-Bru is the number 1 cause of insurance claims for replacing carpets/furniture - so there must be some pretty nasty chemicals in there :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)
    I've given up fizzy drinks - mainly because of the obscene sugar content, but also because they are bad for your teeth/bones etc. Water and fruit juice make me feel so much healthier

Also... Apparently in the UK (or maybe just Scotland?) Irn-Bru is the number 1 cause of insurance claims for replacing carpets/furniture - so there must be some pretty nasty chemicals in there :confused:

probably true, in Scotland its all people drink. We are proud of it.

ReputationRep:
    probably true, in Scotland its all people drink. We are proud of it.
    I must admit I was a bit surprised that people from England drink it - thought it wasn't that easy to get hold of south of the border?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)
    I must admit I was a bit surprised that people from England drink it - thought it wasn't that easy to get hold of south of the border?
    What...Irn-Bru?

ReputationRep:
    What...Irn-Bru?
    Yep

I just remember my friends complaining that when they went to England they couldn't find any...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.