Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Funding for PGCE - not been independent for long enough? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am looking into going into Secondary Science (Biology) for 2017 and the new bursaries have come out. Biology this year will be £12,000 for a 2:1 and so I am also looking at a maintenance loan. This is because I am a homeowner with my boyfriend and cannot go back and have a career change unless I can make the same I do now.
    Looking at the maintenance loan, and remembering the process from when I was an undergraduate, it says you have to live away from your parents for 3 years. I have only lived away from my parents for 1 year so I am confused as to what I would put down in my funding application. My questions are:
    1. Would I still have to rely on my parents income even though I don't live there anymore?
    2. Would they take into account my wage and my boyfriends wage (even though I'll have to quit my job to do my course), or would they just take into account what my boyfriend earns?

I have been employed full-time since May 2015 and we bought our house in September 2015.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I believe that, if you are over the age of 25 and do not live with your parents, their income won't be assessed. They will assess your eligibility based on yours and your boyfriend's incomes during the 2015-16 tax year, however, if you expect your household income to drop by 15% or more during your training year, you can apply for your current year's income to be used for assessment instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pierson)
    I believe that, if you are over the age of 25 and do not live with your parents, their income won't be assessed. They will assess your eligibility based on yours and your boyfriend's incomes during the 2015-16 tax year, however, if you expect your household income to drop by 15% or more during your training year, you can apply for your current year's income to be used for assessment instead.
    Thank you!!!! This was very helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.