Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Are my four choices too risky?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am currently considering applying to Oxford, UCL, Kings and Nottingham but I'm worried my choices may be a bit risky and I really don't want to be left without any offers!!
    Stats: 12A*s GCSEs, 4As AS, A*A*A predictions (Chem, Bio, Maths). UKCAT 2080 band 2. EPQ, all the DofEs. Volunteering at a care home, charity shop and on a ward at a local hospital. Won a prize for some research I did with Cambridge University and been to lots of talks and lots of extra reading etc. Played regional level hockey. I also managed to gain some fantastic work experience (7 days in total)

I love the medical schools I have chosen but I also really want to get in and I personally think I will enjoy going to any medical school, as the course is perfect for me (also that small added factor after med school I'll be doctor slightly helps too )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicineee)
    Hey!

I am currently considering applying to Oxford, UCL, Kings and Nottingham but I'm worried my choices may be a bit risky and I really don't want to be left without any offers!!
    Stats: 12A*s GCSEs, 4As AS, A*A*A predictions (Chem, Bio, Maths). UKCAT 2080 band 2. EPQ, all the DofEs. Volunteering at a care home, charity shop and on a ward at a local hospital. Won a prize for some research I did with Cambridge University and been to lots of talks and lots of extra reading etc. Played regional level hockey. I also managed to gain some fantastic work experience (7 days in total)

I love the medical schools I have chosen but I also really want to get in and I personally think I will enjoy going to any medical school, as the course is perfect for me (also that small added factor after med school I'll be doctor slightly helps too )
    wow your grades are amazing and you've done so much extra work. I think you'll get into the unis, but don't you get 5 choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicineee)
    Hey!

If you're concerned about risks, you could always have a look at 3 UKCAT unis rather than two, so if you do cock up the BMAT half your choices won't be resting on it. Your UKCAT should be good enough for most med schools, could always apply to Cardiff for a basically guaranteed interview due to your stellar GCSE performance.

Hope that helps

PS I'm applying to Oxford and King's too!

(Original post by twix15)
    wow your grades are amazing and you've done so much extra work. I think you'll get into the unis, but don't you get 5 choices?
    You can only apply up to 4 medical schools. The 5th choice can't be medicine.

ReputationRep:
    wow I had no idea. I want to apply to med school too, but in year 11 right now. that's so strange why can't the 5th choice be a medicine school?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.