B1061 – National Health Service (Amendment) Bill 2016

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    B1061 – National Health Service (Amendment) Bill 2016, TSR Green Party
    National Health Service (Amendment) Bill 2016

A BILL TO
    Lower Prescription Charges for people under 25 years old

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Part I: Exemptions from general charging

1. Part 9, section 173, subsection 1 of the National Health Service Act 2006 shall be changed from:

(1) No charge may be made under regulations under section 172(1) in respect of— (a) the supply of any drug, medicine or appliance for a patient who is resident in hospital, (b) the supply of any drug or medicine for the treatment of sexually transmitted disease (otherwise than in the provision of primary medical services or in accordance with a pilot scheme or an LPS scheme), (c) the supply of any appliance (otherwise than in pursuance of paragraph 8(d) of Schedule 1) for a person who is under 16 years of age or is under 19 years of age and receiving qualifying full-time education, or (d) the replacement or repair of any appliance in consequence of a defect in the appliance as supplied."

to

(1) No charge may be made under regulations under section 172(1) in respect of—
    (a) the supply of any drug, medicine or appliance for a patient who is resident in hospital, (b) the supply of any drug or medicine for the treatment of sexually transmitted disease (otherwise than in the provision of primary medical services or in accordance with a pilot scheme or an LPS scheme), (c) the supply of any appliance (otherwise than in pursuance of paragraph 8(d) of Schedule 1) for a person who is under 18 years of age or is under 25 years of age and receiving qualifying full-time education, or (d) the replacement or repair of any appliance in consequence of a defect in the appliance as supplied."

Part II: Commencement, short title and extent

1. This Act may be cited as the National Health Service (Amendment) Act 2016.
    2. This Act shall extend to England and Wales.
    3. This Act shall come in to force on the 1st January 2020.

Notes

This is a link to the National Health Service Act 2006, which in Part 9 (see page 101 and on) deals with prescription charges. The specific part that this Act deals with can be found at the top of page 102. Prescription charges are a devolved policy.

Currently, prescription charges may levied against anyone who is 17 or older, unless they are in full time in education, in which case the threshold is 19 and older. This amendment makes the former figure 18, meaning that up until your 18th birthday you cannot be charged for NHS prescriptions. The latter figure becomes 25, meaning that young people can go on to complete university or other higher education without a financial barrier should they need to get a prescription, the age being set quite highly in order to accommodate the possibility of those taking time out for medical or other reasons. We feel that this is an entirely proportionate and equitable change.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    If this gives students free prescriptions then aye.

ReputationRep:
    How about, ummm, let me think, no.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    Costings?

Abstain at the moment. I'd rather cut prescription charges completely for people with illnesses like Cystic Fibrosis than do this tbh

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye, as someone who has to get regular prescriptions, and is a student,, I'm really unsure at the moment at how I am going to be able to afford it going forwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Aye, as someone who has to get regular prescriptions, and is a student,, I'm really unsure at the moment at how I am going to be able to afford it going forwards
    HC1?

ReputationRep:
    Another Green bill! :eek: It must be the Lime-man touch. At the moment it's an aye from me.

ReputationRep:
    Hhhmmm ...

Abstain currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    HC1?
    I may or may not be entitled, just waiting to see. If I was at home I wouldn't be, but in halls I might be. (according to the pharmacist who told me about it)

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm....nay. I'd like to see costings. It'd be better to just expand HC1 in terms of the top income bracket.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. how will this be costed? Also we should be aiming to bring down charges for individuals based on family income, not arbitrarily by age.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather make all completely free services means-tested (with a high testing rate so only like 40% had to pay), but this is also fine, and I can't be bothered to write the other Bill. Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sycatonne23)
    Nay. how will this be costed? Also we should be aiming to bring down charges for individuals based on family income, not arbitrarily by age.
    This only affects those who are under 25 and in full time education. I agree the costing needs to be shown, and I also agree we need to look at bringing down charges for families that can't afford it and don't get free or discounted prescriptions. However this bill simply acknowledges that students currently have to pay for their medication when many students currently struggle to get by week by week, especially in places such as London which has higher living costs.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This surely needs some costings.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Needs costings and numbers!

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Have you ever given blood?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.