The Student Room Group

Abandoned after freshers week

So I'm staying in private halls and made loads of effort to meet people as loads of the students are international and so it's easy to be left out. Over freshers I was speaking to so many people and now they've all been spending time together without me.

None of them text me to invite me out with them or even speak to me now and I feel really left out now everyone's in their own group. I've not been making any new friends on my course either.. I've just been feeling so alone as my boyfriend left me after freshers too and I have no idea what to do. I've tried to message them but they don't really care to even reply anymore :/
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm staying in private halls and made loads of effort to meet people as loads of the students are international and so it's easy to be left out. Over freshers I was speaking to so many people and now they've all been spending time together without me.

None of them text me to invite me out with them or even speak to me now and I feel really left out now everyone's in their own group. I've not been making any new friends on my course either.. I've just been feeling so alone as my boyfriend left me after freshers too and I have no idea what to do. I've tried to message them but they don't really care to even reply anymore :/

That's a shame things have turned out how they have, but there is loads of time to make new friends. It's so common to not be friends with people you met in freshers for that long. Try and join societies and meet people through those, it should mean you have things in common with them and say friends for longer :smile: If you really want to still be friends with some of the people you have already made friends with then maybe organise a meal or something that can get a group of people together. Sitting next to new people in lecturers could help, and I'm sure you'll be put in set groups during the course for different activities which could be a good way of meeting people on your course too :biggrin:
I'm sorry to hear this. I struggled to find the right group of people myself.

The best thing to do is join societies, volunteer etc in an effort to meet new people. Hopefully you'll eventually find someone to click with. It can be disheartening, but if you're persistent (and not needy/desperate), you should get out of this rut.

Is there anyone you do speak to, even if it's only on-and-off?
Reply 3
Not really..not unless I text them so I gave up. They've been posting photos of them going to places and didn't invite me anywhere so it feels a bit crap
Original post by Anonymous
Not really..not unless I text them so I gave up. They've been posting photos of them going to places and didn't invite me anywhere so it feels a bit crap

Again, I know the feeling.

Proactiveness helps. Have you asked them out?If you trying to contact them isn't working, they ain't good friends. I cut people like that out of my life and feel much better for it. It does take a while, but you need to keep trying new tactics to either develop better friendships with people you know or make friends with new people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending