Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is confusing you regarding your future? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to ask a quick question to anyone who's studying at the moment but isn't quite sure what they want to do in the future. Is there something you wish you knew more about which would make it easier in deciding what to do next? Any answer would be awesome, thanks n advance!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranAdam)
    I just wanted to ask a quick question to anyone who's studying at the moment but isn't quite sure what they want to do in the future. Is there something you wish you knew more about which would make it easier in deciding what to do next? Any answer would be awesome, thanks n advance!
    I guess the one thing for me.. I'm going to take a gap year after my final year of uni, and I'm not quite sure whether I should apply for a masters (if there is even a subject I want to do one in...) or for a summer internship for the type of job I want to do or just a straight up graduate job application :hide:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That my plan next year might not work and I can't go to UCL or any other university to study something to do with Medical Science or Biomedical Science. I so wish I did science A Levels so much, It is one of my biggest regrets but I know a way to get around it. Just hoping I never have to study English again. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I guess the one thing for me.. I'm going to take a gap year after my final year of uni, and I'm not quite sure whether I should apply for a masters (if there is even a subject I want to do one in...) or for a summer internship for the type of job I want to do or just a straight up graduate job application :hide:
    Massively appreciate the reply bud! Have you thought about whether the master will get you where you need to go or can you get there without it? Obviously I don't know your situation but what worked for me was grabbing a note and pen and sitting alone for an hour or two. Go through your values, beliefs and interests and then align them with whatever you want to do. Then you could see if the thing your working towards actually suits the kind of life you want to create. Just a thought, thanks for the reply bud!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Massively appreciate the reply bud! Have you thought about whether the master will get you where you need to go or can you get there without it? Obviously I don't know your situation but what worked for me was grabbing a note and pen and sitting alone for an hour or two. Go through your values, beliefs and interests and then align them with whatever you want to do. Then you could see if the thing your working towards actually suits the kind of life you want to create. Just a thought, thanks for the reply bud!
    That is good advice, thanks definitely important to think about whether it will suit someone and whether it is actually necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    That my plan next year might not work and I can't go to UCL or any other university to study something to do with Medical Science or Biomedical Science. I so wish I did science A Levels so much, It is one of my biggest regrets but I know a way to get around it. Just hoping I never have to study English again. :moon:
    Like I said on my last reply, really appreciate the comment mate. I wouldn't even know where to start with those kinds of qualifications hahahahaha. The best thing that helped me when things didn't go my way was to take a step back and evaluate where s**t (I don't know if this forum will flag me for swearing hahahaha) went wrong. Use that way you know to get around it, let me know how it went. Like I said in my last reply I evaluate everything I do with what I know I do/don't want as a future life and aiming myself towards the direction which leads me to happiness. I hope whatever you're doing leads you to that place too buddy!

ReputationRep:
    That is good advice, thanks definitely important to think about whether it will suit someone and whether it is actually necessary.
    It's totally fine bud. If I can save you time and money with a slightly different way of thinking then we both win hahahahaha. Was there anything at school you wish you knew before going onto what you're doing now? When I look back (I'm 22) I always look back to the fact that I didn't know of anything outside he typical study then work system. What do you think?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's totally fine bud. If I can save you time and money with a slightly different way of thinking then we both win hahahahaha. Was there anything at school you wish you knew before going onto what you're doing now? When I look back (I'm 22) I always look back to the fact that I didn't know of anything outside he typical study then work system. What do you think?
    I guess whether it's work or uni or whatever... confidence is a pretty important thing to have so it's important to have it from minute 1 to set the best impression for those around you.. whether it's your manager or people who'll be voting for society positions etc etc. Not easy to do but takes practice and I guess to always look to do stuff that'll give you experience eg work, coding, a language.... gotta be a 3D person and have lots to talk about in interviews and in real life situations too

ReputationRep:
    I guess whether it's work or uni or whatever... confidence is a pretty important thing to have so it's important to have it from minute 1 to set the best impression for those around you.. whether it's your manager or people who'll be voting for society positions etc etc. Not easy to do but takes practice and I guess to always look to do stuff that'll give you experience eg work, coding, a language.... gotta be a 3D person and have lots to talk about in interviews and in real life situations too
    That's fantastic, so simple yet powerful. I really really appreciate that. The reason I asked is because I'm doing research to possibly make a guide for young people between the ages of 15-21 to help them self-evaluate and assess what life they want to pursue while providing them tips on what could help them on the way. Your replies have helped massively in this respect, any ideas of where I could find more people like you who could help me find the things young people are struggling with these days in looking to the future? Thank you again for replying man!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    That's fantastic, so simple yet powerful. I really really appreciate that. The reason I asked is because I'm doing research to possibly make a guide for young people between the ages of 15-21 to help them self-evaluate and assess what life they want to pursue while providing them tips on what could help them on the way. Your replies have helped massively in this respect, any ideas of where I could find more people like you who could help me find the things young people are struggling with these days in looking to the future? Thank you again for replying man!
    Not sure, just keep posting I guess. Good luck though

As for the part 'not quite sure what to do' doesn't concern me that much because I know where I want to be in 5 years time, however that can change at any time.

There is another option I have considered in terms of career, as opposed to my main course and to be honest I am not completely sure if this is the effect of doing the same thing over and over again for few years which eventually led to me thinking about it or just because I have far better understanding in that specific field

I don't think there is anything that could potentially change my mind few years back, but for someone who cannot decide on such things I recommend talking to your teachers, asking questions and doing research, loads of it. My personal preference is practical; just trying things out but as always I try to keep the balance which can put me at a disadvantage.

It's actually better if you can imagine your long-term goals such as where you want to be and what you'll be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    As for the part 'not quite sure what to do' doesn't concern me that much because I know where I want to be in 5 years time, however that can change at any time.

There is another option I have considered in terms of career, as opposed to my main course and to be honest I am not completely sure if this is the effect of doing the same thing over and over again for few years which eventually led to me thinking about it or just because I have far better understanding in that specific field

I don't think there is anything that could potentially change my mind few years back, but for someone who cannot decide on such things I recommend talking to your teachers, asking questions and doing research, loads of it. My personal preference is practical; just trying things out but as always I try to keep the balance which can put me at a disadvantage.

It's actually better if you can imagine your long-term goals such as where you want to be and what you'll be doing.
    Thanks for commenting buddy! I think we all evolve and need to constantly evaluate whether what we're doing is right for us or not. I do think many people do get lost because they feel that once their in a certain field that's all they can do when this is not the case. My biggest piece of advice, knowing what I know now, is to encourage the use of self-awareness, without the interference of anyone around us. I believe the better you know yourself the more powerful you are going into any career. Such an underrated skill which isn't encouraged enough, that's my opinion anyway. Thanks again for your comment mate!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.