Art Courses

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my second year of a levels and i am hoping to study some sort or art or creative based subject (e.g- Visual Effects, Special effects, animation, art and design, architecture etc.)
    does anyone know what possibly career choices this could lead to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Towerbliss13)
    I am currently in my second year of a levels and i am hoping to study some sort or art or creative based subject (e.g- Visual Effects, Special effects, animation, art and design, architecture etc.)
    Well to be entirely honest it depends on what your interest lies, although they seem very similar they are very distinctive fields. For most of the courses you have mentioned you have to prepare a portfolio, especially if it is a university degree you are looking into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninaaaah)
    Well to be entirely honest it depends on what your interest lies, although they seem very similar they are very distinctive fields. For most of the courses you have mentioned you have to prepare a portfolio, especially if it is a university degree you are looking into.
    ahh, im still not entirely sure what I want to do, but I thoroughly enjoy art and creative media therefore I wanted to do something I was very passionate about.
    I haven't created a portfolio at the moment however I am applying in October, do you have any suggestions on how I create a portfolio and what to include.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Towerbliss13 -

It's very exciting to hear that you have the same interests as we do at NUA. Creative careers is something that we're interested in - you can find out more on our website, including the types of careers that creative courses can open up to you.

You can also find out about subject specific portfolio advice here. You should always check out guidance from the institutions you are looking to apply to, as we each do it a little differently. What most of us are looking for though is the story of your creative practice and journey so that we can assess your technical and creative potential and your attitude to your work. At NUA, we're looking for story-tellers who embrace their geekiness - that obsessive passion for their discipline, their subjects and their craft.

I hope that helps and do get in touch if you have any other questions.
    Lou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Towerbliss13)
    I particularly study animation and it can lead to hundreds of careers!

2D Animation: Concept artist, animator, post production / editor, illustrator, graphic designer, character designer, prop designer, environment designer, mobile games etc.

3D Animation: Animator, Environment Modeller, Character Modeller, Rigger, Lighting Artist, Texture Artist, Prop Design, Concept Artist, VFX artist, Console games etc.

There are loads of industries including advertisement, films, games and more, there are loads of careers and the good thing with animation is it can then lead into loads of other things like, as I said, graphic design, illustration, VFX etc.

Its also good because you can apply without any experience before, just the willingless to learn! If you do apply, this video might help you with your portfolio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHg8422pgA and any questions just ask!! :-)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.