Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should I be scared, my hard drive some times makes a little 'tick' sound shorter and high frequency than the normal hard drive ticking noise. Should I be scared, my hard drive is none other than an IBM/Hitachi 80GB Deathstar.

ReputationRep:
    Deathstar? I hope it won't be dead soon.

www.computing.net try it.

ReputationRep:
    which model deathstar? 120GXP 180GXP?
    are you 100% sure it's coming from the hard drive? if you are then back up all your important stuff like the pr0n and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I not sure its coming from my HD, but it makes the noise when I am requesting data etc so assume it must be that.

Its the 7K250 80gb model

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...96&GroupID=195

I believe its the 180gx version as it says that on the drive itself.

ReputationRep:
    no...it can be the whir of the fan when you request data - it kicks in when you do stuff. It might be something caught in the fan?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still laughing at the fact someone called a harddrive 'Deathstar'

My harddrive makes odd noises all the time, usually when I'm doing a lot of opening / closing files. I shouldn't worry about it too much. Seagate have a free diagnostic tool on the site somewhere : I'm can't remember the exact link, you'll have to hunt it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    I'm still laughing at the fact someone called a harddrive 'Deathstar'
    not an official name. they're called "deskstar" or something like that, but the failure rate on them is so high, they got the nickname of "deathstar"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    not an official name. they're called "deskstar" or something like that, but the failure rate on them is so high, they got the nickname of "deathstar"
    Aww, you spoiled my fun
    Rep for being knowledgable though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Should I be scared, my hard drive some times makes a little 'tick' sound shorter and high frequency than the normal hard drive ticking noise. Should I be scared, my hard drive is none other than an IBM/Hitachi 80GB Deathstar.
    Oh my God!!! Its a BOMB!!! :rolleyes:
    Sound to me like disk threshing (since it occurs when you require memory) though I've never heard of that making a ticking noise. Does it happen more when you use more RAM?

ReputationRep:
    Usually excessive ticking is an indication that the HDD is dying and that data should be backed up. The closer it is to dying the more 'ticking' it does. AFAIK the ticking is caused by the needle in the HDD as it reads the data or moves to a different part of the HDD when it's malfunctioning. I wouldn't of thought that it would be the fan in the HDD so much. It's best to get a disk checker though and see if an increasing number of bad sectors pop up.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.