Turn on thread page Beta

1st/2nd gear speed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What's the top end of gear 1 speed? Sometimes when I'm approaching a junction, I'm going pretty slow but never know whether it's that slow that 1st gear is needed

ReputationRep:
    All cars are different

With my current car, the rev limiter is 40mph in 1st. 70mph in 2nd. 3rd gear, it's 90mph.

My first cars rev limiter was at 25mph in 1st, 45 in 2nd, 70mph in 3rd and 4th +5th it didnt have the torque or bhp to reach the limiter.

ReputationRep:
    I normally change out of first gear straight away if I can. Do you feel the car jumping at all and does the engine sound really loud? If so, you need to change up to 2nd

I never change down to first gear when approaching junctions though, but thats just me, normally I just slow down and stay in gear, change to second if I can and avoid putting it into first

Ive never revved it up that much in first gear or done any sort of speed in that gear so I wouldnt know exactly how fast it would go, to be honest I dont think Id want to try it either

(Original post by DartsOfPleasure)
    What's the top end of gear 1 speed? Sometimes when I'm approaching a junction, I'm going pretty slow but never know whether it's that slow that 1st gear is needed
    Using clutch control you can remain in 2nd gear when going very slow and even stationary and moving off. It isn't recommended in your test though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why avoid putting it into first? First has good engine braking, and means you can go slower without coasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Why avoid putting it into first? First has good engine braking, and means you can go slower without coasting.
    I was always taught to remain in 2nd gear if possible at all, for example when approaching junctions, and just go straight out without changing down to first

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, maybe so, but then if you need to move off quickly you cant cuz you wont be in the powerband, unless you drive a turbo diesel/big v8 which i doubt being a student.

I prefer to put it into 1st, it's a safer option.

ReputationRep:
    thisbemadness, I've been doing exactly what you do. I approach the junction in gear 3/4 but am obviously at a relatively low speed. After looking, stick it into 2 and go around the corner. BUT today for some reason I kept on crawling up to the junction and when I put it in 2nd the car stalled/shuddered. My instructor said always look at your speed to match the gear, but how low should your speed be in order to go into 1st gear???

ReputationRep:
    just buy a bugatti, top speed in first gear 72mph no need to ever change gear haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisbemadness)
    I was always taught to remain in 2nd gear if possible at all, for example when approaching junctions, and just go straight out without changing down to first
    Like thisbemadness, I was also taught to remain in second gear if possible when approaching junctions, however there has been some occasions where I have been in first gear approaching a junction, however this has only really occured down my own street, since my house is really near to the junction, so you only really need to be in first, since within a couple of seconds you are at the junction! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceman_jondoe)
    no need to ever change gear haha
    to save planet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soilman)
    to save planet?
    I change around 1200-1500

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i don't think about it cos i slow down using gears and brakes, but i drive a TD which has a very short 1st gear - only useful to get you going, and the syncromesh? stops it going into first above anything other than a crawling speed. i do short change 2nd i guess, i usually do it at 20 or so when i guess i should wait till 30 but i don't like the strain on the car.

ReputationRep:
    The question has a simple answer and a complicated one.
    The limits of the first gear ratio are dictated by the rev limit of the engine the actual gear ratio first is cut to and the final drive ratio.

Example: assume the gearbox and back axle ratio are constant. If say a K series engine is used then the rev limit on this engine is about what? 8k revs?
    Whereas a rover V8 on standard lifters is limited to 5,800 ish.
    Ignoring everything else... the K series is able to turn the whole drive train at just over 2000rpm faster in first gear. So, in this instance, the car with the K series assuming nothing else changes would be able to run at a faster speed than an RV8.

Changing a gear ratio this is basically the same as the engine scenario in that the revvy engine will be able to spin the drive train faster. However, with the proviso that the gear ratio is not so steep as to prevent the engine from turning it at all.

Final drive ratio. My car is fitted with a 3.9:1 back axle... lets call it 4:1.
    A factory V8MGB is fitted with a 3.07:1 back axle.... lets call that 3:1.
    So, for every 3 rotations of the engine, the road wheels turn once. on a factory car or on my car i get 4 rotations of the engine.
    What this means is I can accelerate a damn sight harder although the top speed is reduced as again the physicall limitations of the engine are hit sooner.

On a lighter note, I Cant remember what mine does in first gear. I only seem to use 2nd and 5th these days...

ReputationRep:
    Haha i cant change down to first unless im doin 7mph or less, even though it actually goes to 30 in 1st, engine doesnt really like being put into 1st! tbh i think its best to try and remain in second, unless youve got a lambo or sumin, in which u could easily hit over 60 in 1st....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leonard2910)
    Haha i cant change down to first unless im doin 7mph or less, even though it actually goes to 30 in 1st, engine doesnt really like being put into 1st! tbh i think its best to try and remain in second, unless youve got a lambo or sumin, in which u could easily hit over 60 in 1st....
    Nock it into neutral, blip the throttle, let the clutch up, dip it in again and then try and engage the gear.

ReputationRep:
    changing down into first can break the halfshaft (apparently what ive been told??). i dont shift into first whilst moving cause it gets too jumpy, its always smoother in second, and if you dont have enough torque its because you didnt anticipate things properly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... As JC says, you need to double declutch and match the revs when you put it into first. So on my car, once I have it in first I would have to rev to about 4500rpm at 20mph before I bring the clutch up. Then it would be nice and smooth.

ReputationRep:
    Ive snapped a couple of axles now. Both times were due to lairy hookups on the strip. Going into 2nd gear she bit down hard... looked at the rev counter and saw it coming back down from 8000. That engine didnt last much longer though... Most proberbly because that particular V8 redlined at 6000. Oops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    With my current car, the rev limiter is 40mph in 1st. 70mph in 2nd. 3rd gear, it's 90mph.

My first cars rev limiter was at 25mph in 1st, 45 in 2nd, 70mph in 3rd and 4th +5th it didnt have the torque or bhp to reach the limiter.
    Your second car I could belive, but your first one I don't. For example, my car does 2nd at approx 65mph - there is no sodden way yours does 70mph - not that means much when taking into consideration gear ratios, but I know I'm still right as I test drove the 160 version and it only hit 60mph in 2nd.
    (Original post by Dac_10)
    changing down into first can break the halfshaft (apparently what ive been told??).
    Or slip a bearing.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.