Wierd Email Watch

NW8_SW1_EC3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I got this really strange e-mail, check it out and tell me what you think.

HELLO DEAR
GREETING IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. I AM MRS. DORA COLLINS,
A WIDOW TO LATE SHEIK HASSAN COLLINS, I AM 58YEARS OLD, I AM NOW A NEW
CHRISTAIN CONVERT, SUFFERING FROM LONG TIME CANCER OF THE BREAST, FROM
ALL INDICATION MY CONDITIONS IS REALLY DETERIORATING AND IT IS QUITE
OBVIOUS THAT I WON'T LIVE MORE THAN THREE MONTHS, ACCORDING TO MY
DOCTORS, THIS IS BECAUSE THE CANCER STAGE HAS GOTTEN TO A VERY BAD
STAGE.
MY LATE HUSBAND KILLED DURING THE U.S. RAID AGAINST TERRORISM IN
AFGHANISTAN, AND DURING THE PERIOD OF OUR MARRIAGE WE COULD'NT PRODUCE
ANY CHILD. MY LATE HUSBAND WAS VERY WEALTHY AND AFTER HIS DEATH,
IINHERITED ALL HIS BUSINESS AND WEALTH.
THE DOCTORS HAS ADVISED ME THAT I MAY NOT LIVE FOR MORE THAN THREE
MONTHS, SO I NOW DECIDED TO DEVIDE THE PART OF THIS WEALTH, TO
CONTRIBUTE TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE CHURCH IN AFRICA, AMERICA ASIA,
AND
EUROPE. I AM WILLING TO DONATE THE SUM OF $8,600.000.00 MILLION U.S
DOLLARS,
TO THE LESS PRIVILEGED. PLEASE I WANT YOU TO NOTE THAT FUND IS LYING IN

A SECURITY COMPANY IN GERMANY.LASTLY, I HONESTLY PRAY THAT THIS MONEY
WHEN TRANSFERRED WILL BE SURE FOR THE SAID PURPOSE, BECAUSE I HAVE COME

TO FIND OUT THAT WEALTH ACQUISITION WITHOUT CHRIST IS VANITY.MAY THE
GRACE OF OUR LORD JESUS THE LOVE OF GOD AND THE FELLOWSHIP OF GOD BE
WITH
YOU AND YOUR FAMILY I AWAIT URGENT REPLY.
MRS.DORA COLLINS.

So I obviously assume this is some kind of stupid scam or whatever but I e-mailed back anyone saying sorry for your situation and asked how she got my e-mail and what she wants me to do. Her next e-mail is even more strange...

My Dear Beloved,
Thanks for your confident response in receiving this fund and using it for the said purpose.The reason why i choose you is because God led me to you ,Now this is what you will do to receive this fund in your bank account, I will like you to contact the Bank where this fund was deposited, contact them on my behalf requesting for the transfer and release of the fund into your bank account.This are the informations you need to forward to them because when the fund was deposited they gave me this secret informations should in case I want to withdraw it for security purpose for them to identify my consignment which is the fund .
The informations are below, I am giving and releasing this vital and secret informations of mine to you with trust and confidence cos I have gotten you as my next of kin to do this faithful work for God and subsequently to Human. My Dear please forward the informations below to the Bank so that they can be able to access and release the funds to you .
Depositors Name MRS. DORA COLLINS
Batch no ........
Year Deposited 2002
Secret Question ........
Answer MRS. .........
Security Code ............
The above are the informations you need to forward to the Bank and send to them , your full name address and contact phone numbers so that when they approve you to receive the fund they will get it transferred into your bank account So contact with their information;s below.
Name of Bank: Koelner Bank of Germany
Email address: [Email]
Name of Director Mr. Oliver Williams
My Good friend, please contact them with them above informations and please make sure you send your phone number or mobile number to them for easy communications ,keep me posted as soon as they transfer the fund into your bank account. Always put me in your daily prayers do not forget my wish .
I will be waiting to hear from you about the latest updates with the parties in other to follow up with the transaction.
God bless you.
Mrs. Dora Collins.

I took out the bank details, this has to be some kind of scam, but I can't see how, if they asked for MY bank details then its obvious, but I have been given bank details? What is more strange is that I am in Dubai at the moment, and her husband was a Sheikh - perhaps someone knows I am here?
edd8990
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's a scam. They give you their bank details so you can pay the "processing fees" that are going to suddenly appear from nowhere.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How odd. Typical scam, but I don't get why they haven't asked for bank details. Maybe they'll try and get them from you later on?
TomX
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's a scam. I mean, the caps are a give away straight away.

About how they got your email address:
- Have you ever received one of those stupid emails from a friend about how if you forward it to all your contacts the love of your life will kiss you by Friday. Notice how your kind friend put your name in the 'To' field along with a bunch of people you don't know (and some you do, possibly). Those people now have your address. If any of those people are forward that, then those people will know your address. Amongst all these people, one of them may sell all the addresses he/she has accumulated to a spammer. BAM!

- Have you ever signed up to a account where you gave your email address? They may have sold your email address to others. BAM!

- Have your email address ever appeared on a webpage? A bot may have scanned the page for email addresses and stored it. BAM!
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Actually I just realised they want my full address and contact details, maybe its just a way of obtaining.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Omicron
Report 11 years ago
They will want your bank details when you contact the bank in Germany. So dont... Its a Scam.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomX)

- Have you ever received one of those stupid emails from a friend about how if you forward it to all your contacts the love of your life will kiss you by Friday. Notice how your kind friend put your name in the 'To' field along with a bunch of people you don't know (and some you do, possibly). Those people now have your address. If any of those people are forward that, then those people will know your address. Amongst all these people, one of them may sell all the addresses he/she has accumulated to a spammer. BAM!

- Have you ever signed up to a account where you gave your email address? They may have sold your email address to others. BAM!

- Have your email address ever appeared on a webpage? A bot may have scanned the page for email addresses and stored it.
I think that one is probably it.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm always amazed at the number of people here who are intelligent enough for Oxford/Cambridge but not intelligent to work out that these things are all scams. All of them.

There was someone else a month or two ago, and now you.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angelil)
I'm always amazed at the number of people here who are intelligent enough for Oxford/Cambridge but not intelligent to work out that these things are all scams. All of them.

If you read my post carefully you would of seen that I said I think it is most likely a scam.
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I get about 3 of these a week in my email, and at work we get about 10 a week (dont know why as we're a charity, it seems as though these scammers think we are more likely to fall for it just because we are a charity :rolleyes: )

Just ignore and delete, and block the sender
Schroedinger's Pandora
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Go here: www.419eater.com
Fishfinger Sandwich
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
THE CANCER STAGE HAS GOTTEN TO A VERY BAD
STAGE.

^o)
These things are all scams. You shouldn't have even read it. The subject was probably something stupid, and you won't have recognised the sender. You replied? Don't do that in future.
ForeverIsMyName
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ask her to prove that's she's serious by performing a monologue of Monty Python's Dead Parrot scene. Either way you'll get a laugh out of it.
Bexxxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Scams come in loads of different forms. I read a really interesting book on gangs, all different types. One was on a gang in Nigeria (I think) who sent out emails just like this. The author went to meet one of the gang members, posing as a genuine member of the public... I think he ended up in a near death situation! Anyway, you should just ignore them in future.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I get those a lot. I just ignore them. I never ever reply either.
thesard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)

Yes, but people's hopes get in the way of common sense. When I got my first "I live in Nigeria... have a million, gazillion pounds... you can have have some" email, I got slightly excited. I was sixteen years old and someone was offering me money :eek: I figured it was scam though.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TomX)

- Have your email address ever appeared on a webpage? A bot may have scanned the page for email addresses and stored it. ___
No BAM?
username72629
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
play along with them, see what you can make them do.

I had a guy trying to scam me when I sold my RC nitro truck. I just went along with it until the end and finally sent him an old forum thing we had from SWG
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
If you read my post carefully you would of seen that I said I think it is most likely a scam.
You thought it was most likely a scam, and yet you replied to it anyway. Yep. Got it.

And it's would have, by the way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.34%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.66%

Watched Threads