Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

23 and still don't have a car on the road.

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test when I was around 17-18, but ever since haven't been able to get a car on the road, I found that the car insurance was just not worth it, first quotes i ever got were like £3000 so must have been doing something wrong.

I think the main part of why my insurance is high is because I don't live at home, they probably consider that your not liable to your parents so hence you will be irresponsible and just do what you want. And because I don't have a job anymore, it doesn't help.

I was looking at vauxhall corsa as it's good MPG, turns out around £1000 for the insurance, I lowered the milage to like 5000 a year, not really sure why it's still high. I could post the details on here to see where i'm going wrong and what's affecting it. It seems that everyone else could get on the road for dirt cheap, like £600 when they first started, I wonder if they lied, they are way more irresponsible than me though.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt everyone would have been able to get on the road for £600 when they first started. That's my mothers insurance now and she's 45, so that's extremely unlikely.

The reason it has went down over time is because you've gotten older, and for your first ever car and insurance it's normally rather high anyways. Possibly if you get a black box then it will be considerably cheaper.

Honestly the only way you're going to get your insurance down is over time, having no claims (discounts) and showing the insurance company.

ReputationRep:
    A £600 premium for an 18 year old? Maybe in 1975. Practically no new driver would get away with a premium that low these days.

Unfortunately being unemployed results in a big premium increase, I would guess that it's probably the main contributing factor aside from the fact you have no NCB. I don't expect there'll be much you can do to reduce the quote, maybe by tweaking a load of small details you could knock off, say £50-100, but the bulk of the cost is going to be down to the two factors above.

ReputationRep:
    Dang 1K for insurance? Mines it like £590 for my Megane 2010. I'm 23 and it's my first car (£30 road tax) as well Minus monthly payments.

ReputationRep:
    I am 26, I got my license when I was 20 and haven't had a car ever. I am able to borrow my parents' car when I need to, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NullDrone)
    I passed my test when I was around 17-18, but ever since haven't been able to get a car on the road, I found that the car insurance was just not worth it, first quotes i ever got were like £3000 so must have been doing something wrong.

I think the main part of why my insurance is high is because I don't live at home, they probably consider that your not liable to your parents so hence you will be irresponsible and just do what you want. And because I don't have a job anymore, it doesn't help.

I was looking at vauxhall corsa as it's good MPG, turns out around £1000 for the insurance, I lowered the milage to like 5000 a year, not really sure why it's still high. I could post the details on here to see where i'm going wrong and what's affecting it. It seems that everyone else could get on the road for dirt cheap, like £600 when they first started, I wonder if they lied, they are way more irresponsible than me though.
    Corsas aren't great for insurance since they're popular with boy racer types who have more accidents.

£600 is not common. £1000 is good compared to what a lot of people get.

Pro tip put your parents on it as secondary drivers, assuming they have a good record. The insurance will halve..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    Corsas aren't great for insurance since they're popular with boy racer types who have more accidents.

£600 is not common. £1000 is good compared to what a lot of people get.

Pro tip put your parents on it as secondary drivers, assuming they have a good record. The insurance will halve..
    That won't give you no claims bonus will it? I also can't drive my mum's car as she doesn't live with me and it would be pointless as when I wanted to use it she would need it, I see no reason to use it if i'm driving locally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NullDrone)
    That won't give you no claims bonus will it? I also can't drive my mum's car as she doesn't live with me and it would be pointless as when I wanted to use it she would need it, I see no reason to use it if i'm driving locally.
    I think you're misunderstanding me, I'm not saying put yourself on your parents cars (which you said correctly, will not give you NCB).

If you add good secondary drivers to your own insurance policy then your quote will drop massively.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.