Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an experiment involving thin layer chromatography TLC. Now, I was planning on using Ethanol to dissolve my products in, and then Methanol as the solvent in the beaker. HOWEVER, neither are available at my school, as we only have IMS (Industrial Methylated Spirits).

I assume that because all of these are solvents, I can use the IMS to substitute for the Ethanol and Methanol in all cases, and I will still get good results. Can someone who knows about this let me know if I am right or not.

thanks kindly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, this post will be absolutely no help to you, but you really don't have methanol and ethanol? Don't you need it for lots of things on the Alevel syllabus?
    Maybe you could ask your chemistry teacher about ordering some?

ReputationRep:
    I think they just use IMS as a substitue. Could someone please help in answering my question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I think they just use IMS as a substitue. Could someone please help in answering my question?
    Yes, it is a mixture of mainly methanol and a little ethanol, but i'm surprised you dont have any, or maybe its me whos used to being at a big sixth form college where we have everything you could ever wish for chemical wise

ReputationRep:
    Wow an alevel chemistry course without ETHANOL? What are you dissolving? Using IMS may result in a less dissolved solution. You could always do a trial run? But, if its for an important investigation, i would suggest asking your teacher to order you the correct substances that you require.

ReputationRep:
    Not that my sixth form college isnt big, and the fact that we have pentan-1-ol would suggest that we need the other two, lol. Or rather, it would suggest that we should have the other two. However, we do not seem to. I think your answers tell me that I can do the test with what I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I am doing an experiment involving thin layer chromatography TLC. Now, I was planning on using Ethanol to dissolve my products in, and then Methanol as the solvent in the beaker. HOWEVER, neither are available at my school, as we only have IMS (Industrial Methylated Spirits).

I assume that because all of these are solvents, I can use the IMS to substitute for the Ethanol and Methanol in all cases, and I will still get good results. Can someone who knows about this let me know if I am right or not.

thanks kindly.
    In industry IMS is used both as a cleaning solution and a solvent. It should be bouncy (but don't quote me).

As the other dude said... Why the hell don't you have methanol and ethanol?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.