Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've practiced naturism a little bit on my own but I'm keen to find out if there are opportunities to meet up with others who are interested in this in Oxford. Let me know if youre interested too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested, but not in Oxford. Perhaps try Brighton?

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone else in Oxford who is a naturist or is interested in trying it?

ReputationRep:
    In my day, there was a spot on the Cherwell, known as Parson's Pleasure, where male naked bathing traditionally took place.

A well known anecdote has it that one day, as a group of dons were bathing there, a female student floated past in a punt. All the dons covered their genitals, except for Maurice Bowra (the erstwhile Warden of Wadham), who covered his face. "I don't know about you gentlemen," he said, "but around here, I am mainly recognised by my face".

Oxford wit.

There was a corresponding spot on the river for female bathing. I think both have since closed, but why not revive the tradition?*

*legal disclaimer here

ReputationRep:
    Are you suggesting that you come and join me in reviving this tradition?

ReputationRep:
    There might be a nude swim organised somewhere nearby- try the British Naturism website. Or when you are in London, visit the spa near Alexandra Palace.

ReputationRep:
    Are you in Oxford barnetlad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon24)
    Are you in Oxford barnetlad?
    No, in Barnet. Hence the suggestion about when in London. One of the people I have occasionally spoken to at the spa in Alexandra Palace comes from Oxford and visits when in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon24)
    Are you suggesting that you come and join me in reviving this tradition?
    I'm afraid not. Oxford is already replete with old ruins and wrinkled retainers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.