Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm addicted to academic success but I don't enjoy it Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all really

Something about working like a physcopath and churning out A*s is very rewarding, but i ulitmately feel like a lesser and weaker person

I would much rather be a more sporty social partying kind of person, I dont feel like it is possible to balance both.

Which part of me is wrong? Can I do both?

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same issue- I have done okay in my GCSEs and am starting very well with my A-levels but... it is just 'meh'. I want to spend a week just partying and having fun but I do not want to risk changing my whole career path because of a rebellious streak (it happened to both of my parents).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Title says it all really

Something about working like a physcopath and churning out A*s is very rewarding, but i ulitmately feel like a lesser and weaker person

I would much rather be a more sporty social partying kind of person, I dont feel like it is possible to balance both.

Yes you can do both, work less. Shouldnt need to work that hard for an A* anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Title says it all really

Well i go running and fitness train 5-6 times a week but feel like a loser because the others have always been so much better than me. I come last all the time incompetition but its expected of me now so doesnt bother me lol.

I used to think that being athletic was the be all and end all and it gave me confidence that even though i didnt have social skills/was very quiet, i was physically stronger than other girls who didnt train. To get by these days though your best best is to be academic, intelligent and have some social skills. Being fit is just not required in modern times like it was with our ancestors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarCoatedCart)
    Yes you can do both, work less. Shouldnt need to work that hard for an A* anyway.
    Well i worked hard and only got B's for gcse lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Title says it all really

You're addicted because it feels good, doesn't it? It gives you that rush, doesn't it?

You can probably do it as long as you balance your time equally between all your activties; do you have a timetable?

ReputationRep:
    Same... school/sixth form/college tells you that getting an A* is absolutely amazing and when you finally get an A*, you feel so proud.

Then you go into the real world and no where gives a crap about your A*s. It's sad.
    And then you start to think that maybe grades don't matter.
    But sixth form keep pushing you to get As and A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    Well i worked hard and only got B's for gcse lol.
    B's are still good grades dude, what I'm saying is it really worth putting 10x the work for an A*? It's time you'll never get back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Same... school/sixth form/college tells you that getting an A* is absolutely amazing and when you finally get an A*, you feel so proud.

Then you go into the real world and no where gives a crap about your A*s. It's sad.
    It matters if you want to get a decent degree at a decent uni so you can get a decent job with a decent salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    They do matter. Good grades are just a means to reaching a higher level of education. They will give you a lot more flexibility when it comes to choosing your course and uni. That means that, while they in themselves are not that important in the grand scheme of things, what arises from them is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.