Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Centrists: Why not the Lib Dems? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Tories have turned right and the hard left have talked themselves into obscurity

For those who consider themselves centre and liberal there is not much to cheer about in politics at the moment. One party trying to reach out to them - the lib dems - has not gained much in the polls (though they are doing well in by-elections).

So my question is to those on the centre left/right why not support the lib dems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    The Tories have turned right and the hard left have talked themselves into obscurity

For those who consider themselves centre and liberal there is not much to cheer about in politics at the moment. One party trying to reach out to them - the lib dems - has not gained much in the polls (though they are doing well in by-elections).

So my question is to those on the centre left/right why not support the lib dems?
    The lib dems are on the centre left, Farron said they're basically new labour.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    The lib dems are on the centre left, Farron said they're basically new labour.
    As a Lib Dem, I'd generally disagree. Policy is decided by membership at our federal conferences, using a One Member, One Vote system. This means that our position will reflect our membership.

It is true, however, that he is attempting to fill the space left by Labour, and he is in doubt Centre-left himself. I just reject the idea that the party's position is equivalent and absolutely relies upon the position of the Leader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    As a Lib Dem, I'd generally disagree. Policy is decided by membership at our federal conferences, using a One Member, One Vote system. This means that our position will reflect our membership.

It is true, however, that he is attempting to fill the space left by Labour, and he is in doubt Centre-left himself. I just reject the idea that the party's position is equivalent and absolutely relies upon the position of the Leader.
    Completely agree, admittedly I was a little hurried with my reply...

There are, of course, some on the centre right and those who are right in the middle - hence why the coalition worked! I think a Tory-LD coalition with Farron in charge wouldn't have worked, it was down to Clegg's ideology and patriotism.

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting debate, because often people say "you have to be in the centre ground to win elections", so presumably the likes of UKIP and Corbyn-Labour and even the new Brexit Conservative party will trail well behind the Lib Dems in upcoming elections...

ReputationRep:
    Because there's no chance of the Lib Dems winning an election, so there's little point. If you actually want those liberal values, the best chance is of one of the two main parties moving towards the centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    It's an interesting debate, because often people say "you have to be in the centre ground to win elections", so presumably the likes of UKIP and Corbyn-Labour and even the new Brexit Conservative party will trail well behind the Lib Dems in upcoming elections...
    There was some good analysis of by elections which shows just this on average 6% swing to lib dems since 2015. General elections are a whole different ball game though and in polling lib dems arnt doing any better so that's why Im asking people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Completely agree, admittedly I was a little hurried with my reply...

There are, of course, some on the centre right and those who are right in the middle - hence why the coalition worked! I think a Tory-LD coalition with Farron in charge wouldn't have worked, it was down to Clegg's ideology and patriotism.
    What does patriotism have to do with it? *

ReputationRep:
    Mainly because of their stance on the EU and immigration.

ReputationRep:
    why not indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Because there's no chance of the Lib Dems winning an election, so there's little point. If you actually want those liberal values, the best chance is of one of the two main parties moving towards the centre.
    This. I vote Lib Dem because I don't care whether Labour or the Conservatives get in - they're both ok parties (though albeit I'd prefer Labour). Since they're the only two parties with a realistic chance, I can vote for my dream government and know that the country won't be completely screwed over if I don't get my preference. If the tories (or Labour) elected someone I wholeheartedly disagreed with then I would change and vote for the least worst option.

For centrists to whom the Lib Dems are not the dream government, or who are very much against one of the major parties, then I can absolutely understand voting against the bad guys to get a good choice. It's an unfortunate consequence of the first past the post voting system, not the voters' problem.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    When Labour moved towards the centre they tried to detain terror suspects for 90 days without trial and contemplated ID cards.

The Tories, towards the centre or not contemplated repealing the human rights act and are in the process of passing the Snooper's charter with the help of the official "opposition".

The longer people continue to make it a two horse race, the longer we go without fair, democratic, proportional elections.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lib dems are useless now, nick clegg destroyed the party
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Lib dems are useless now, nick clegg destroyed the party
    Nick Clegg made Lib Dem policy law. A trade-off the majority of the party would do again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nick Clegg made Lib Dem policy law. A trade-off the majority of the party would do again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ermm...in english please?

ReputationRep:
    When Labour moved towards the centre they tried to detain terror suspects for 90 days without trial and contemplated ID cards.

The Tories, towards the centre or not contemplated repealing the human rights act and are in the process of passing the Snooper's charter with the help of the official "opposition".

The longer people continue to make it a two horse race, the longer we go without fair, democratic, proportional elections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Literally the only way we can get a better electoral system is when there's a hung parliament and the main two parties have to compromise with smaller ones for once. It's a once in a century opportunity and your lot ****ed it up. Like hell am I gonna trust you not to do the same again.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Literally the only way we can get a better electoral system is when there's a hung parliament and the main two parties have to compromise with smaller ones for once. It's a once in a century opportunity and your lot ****ed it up. Like hell am I gonna trust you not to do the same again.
    We got a referendum for a fairer system. If the Labour Party weren't split on it we might have got somewhere. The case is a lot more clearer now with the rise of UKIP, SNP and the Greens (to some extent).
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    ermm...in english please?
    Lib Dems managed to pass some of their manifesto pledges, which they haven't been able to do since they formed.

It was worth it even though we got destroyed in the last election

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dems managed to pass some of their manifesto pledges, which they haven't been able to do since they formed.

It was worth it even though we got destroyed in the last election
    yh true, this new leader tim farron seems like a good guy and i wish him well in bringing the party back into form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    What does patriotism have to do with it? *
    If they refused to go into a coalition, another GE would have been called. That GE would have brought a period of instability, possible uncertainty and deeper economics chaos. Clegg (and Cameron) both wanted to avoid that, and Clegg acted on behalf of the country -not his party.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.