Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Getting Maintenance Loan before course or term start date

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way that an undergrad can receive their Maintenance payment before the start date of their academic year? Is that different for subsequent second and third term start dates?

I've always understood that regardless of how early students and the uni complete the Confirmation of Registration and Confirmation of Attendance processes, the Maintenance Loan payment dates were tied to year/term dates and could not be made before that. Is this actually the case? Is it possible that returning second+ year students can complete the processes over the summer and be paid early, before their official year/term start date?

I chat to folks in the general Student Financial Support section quite often and I'm worried about giving incorrect advice and causing confusion.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    *posting to watch*

I'm sure I saw a post from an SFE rep saying something about applying for early payment but it wasn't clear how to apply and why they might award it (and I might have just misread something)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If a student is in financial hardship the payment may be able to be brought forward although it cannot be done if the payment is due within the next 11 working days or until the academic year has begun.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carly SFE)
    Hi,

If a student is in financial hardship the payment may be able to be brought forward although it cannot be done if the payment is due within the next 11 working days or until the academic year has begun.

Thanks
    Thanks Carly. So to confirm, the hardship process is the only way that Maintenance Loan installments should be paid to a student before their official term start date?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Yes that is correct.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carly SFE)
    Hi,

Thanks
    How exactly would a student apply for early payment due to financial hardship? What sort of evidence is required?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The student would have to contact us so we can send a Financial Hardship Confirmation Form. The student would also have to provide as much evidence as possible to show they are in financial hardship such as:
    • 3 months bank statements (all accounts in students name)
    • evidence of any obligations that they are liable to pay (tenancy agreement, utility bills etc)
    • copies of any debt/arrears letter they may have
    Thanks

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.