The Student Room Group

Dandruff :/

I'm posting this in the health section; I don't really know where it should go, I just know I need help.

As you can probably guess from the title, I have dandruff. But... a LOT of it. My entire head is just covered in flaky skin that falls like snow when I even touch my hair (as disgusting as it sounds).

I don't think it is related to my hygiene. I have baths every day, but I don't wash my hair every day because it generally doesn't get greasy or feel dirty (I am a girl, just a note). I'll normally wash it 2 or 3 times a week.

I don't think washing my hair helps either, because the dandruff sometimes gets even worse after it's just been washed. I've tried using Head & Shoulders, which made it worse still. At first I thought it was just because I wasn't washing the shampoo out properly, but now I'm pretty certain that's not what's causing it.

I don't know what to do. I feel extremely self-conscious when I'm around people and I don't wear black or coloured clothes anymore because the flakes constantly fall on my shoulders and back. I do have dry skin and eczema; I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Original post by Anonymous

I have dandruff.

Speak to your local Hairdressers or your GP if you think it's something to do with your skin type :smile:
Reply 2
Have you ever tried the shampoo, Nizoral? Its an anti fungal shampoo and I think you can get it over the counter as well as from your doctor and it works well for dandruff and other skin conditions. I suffer really badly from seborrhoeic dermatitis on my scalp which causes big yellow crusty patches as well as dandruff and that's the only shampoo that ever worked for me. You can use it twice a week when your scalp is at its worst and then once a week to control it. It also really helps with itching.

If you have already tried that then I would recommend going to the doctor and maybe they will refer you onto a dermatologist as I am sure there will be a cream or shampoo out there that can help you :smile:
DONT USE HEAD AND SHOLDERS! It gives you dandruff even tho it says it will get rid of it. Try putting coconut oil on your scalp every week or two?
Reply 4
You need to get medicated dandruff shampoo not normal shampoo. You should be able to find this in a local pharmacy. Get one that contains selenium sulphide, zinc or ketocanazole.
Reply 5
I'm posting this in the health section; I don't really know where it should go, I just know I need help.

As you can probably guess from the title, I have dandruff. But... a LOT of it. My entire head is just covered in flaky skin that falls like snow when I even touch my hair (as disgusting as it sounds).

I don't think it is related to my hygiene. I have baths every day, but I don't wash my hair every day because it generally doesn't get greasy or feel dirty (I am a girl, just a note). I'll normally wash it 2 or 3 times a week.

I don't think washing my hair helps either, because the dandruff sometimes gets even worse after it's just been washed. I've tried using Head & Shoulders, which made it worse still. At first I thought it was just because I wasn't washing the shampoo out properly, but now I'm pretty certain that's not what's causing it.

I don't know what to do. I feel extremely self-conscious when I'm around people and I don't wear black or coloured clothes anymore because the flakes constantly fall on my shoulders and back. I do have dry skin and eczema; I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Go to your GP. If it's really bad. Should be simple to fix
Shop around for different shampoos. I find Tresemme to be quite good. If it's particularly bad, speak to a chemist or your GP about it and look into getting a medicated shampoo
I would go to my GP.
Reply 8

You can get special shampoos for dandruff. Some from supermarkets (like head and shoulders or vosene), but also medicated ones by prescription. It can also help to wash any product out thoroughly and not use conditioner.

Given your known skin issues and that head and shoulders and other methods haven't worked for you i'd suggest you speak to your gp about options. They will probably prescribe you a medicated shampoo.
Personally I would suggest you try vosene too (maybe in the time before you can get an appointment). It helped my friend more than medicated stuff when used by itself without conditioner. It may not work for you, but it could be worth a shot.
I really would go to your GP - they have probably seen worse so honestly don't be nervous about going. If for some reason you don't want to see your GP I'd second the Nizoral recommendation - it's the only shampoo that stops me itching once my scalp flares up( I have eczema). Luckily I haven't ever needed something stronger but I know you can get what is effectively betnovate for your scalp if it's really bad (you'll definitely need a prescription though). It is probably going to take some trial and error though (just like for general eczema); one thing doesn't work for everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Try capasal shampoo, it helps treat dry, scaly scalp conditions and to remove previously applied scalp applications. The conditions include seborrhoeic dermatitis, psoriasis and cradle cap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dermal-Laboratories-Capasal-Therapeutic-Shampoo/dp/B00433ZYO2/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1475360496&sr=8-1&keywords=capasal+shampoo

What my dermatologist recommended

Consult a doctor
may be psoriatic condition
an aunty i know that has psoriasis has this symptom
not to scare you
can be cured x

Quick Reply

Latest