Hallam student Hassun is giving children hope where there is little to be found Watch

Sheffield Hallam University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

Hassun El Zafar studies BSc Science with Education and QTS. He wanted to make a difference, so volunteered at the Calais migrant camp, helping provide the children there with access to education and a safe teaching environment.
Over 1,000 children currently call the camp home, 87% of whom are unaccompanied. Every day that number grows as more displaced people arrive in Calais in search of safety.

'We need to do something to help them, because at the end of the day, they could have been us and we could have been them.

'You don’t have a school technician to call on to get what you need to do an experiment. You have to do it with what you have, pieces of trash sometimes.

'You need the ability to think outside the box. How am I going to engage someone in learning without an interactive whiteboard, without any kind of media?

'There’s that element of being really creative and thinking outside that box of what you do and how you do your science experiments. I think that’s what my course has really prepared me to do.'

Read more of our student stories >
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (864)
80.3%
Leave (212)
19.7%

Watched Threads