Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AAA Converted into IB Points Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

title says it.

I noticed many top commercial firms, in addition to requiring a 2:1 (preferably mid-high) minimum, also have AAA A-Levels requirement.

I did the International Baccalaureate (IB) and obtained a total of 33points (33 clean, 0 bonus points).

Does anyone know what AAA is in IB Points?

Would also appreciate greatly if someone could convert my own IB score of 33 into A level equivalent grades!

Thanks

A

ReputationRep:
    UCAS has a tariff table that *might* answer your question -- >
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu.../tariff-tables

I also did the IB and for my uni for example 36 points (including core) were equal to ABB-AAB, BUT I would ask the firms about it. Different organisations compare them differently.

ReputationRep:
    Go to university websites and look for their entry requirements. They'll list requirements for A-level, IB, Scottish Highers etc. They should be equivalent so, for example, UCL lists their requirement (for biochemistry) as AAA for A-level and 38 points for IB (it's more detailed but you get the point).

I've read stuff about A-levels being easier than IB, and UK universities may have a bias towards UK students, so they may have higher expectations for international students.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It typically considered to be that AAB roughly equals 36 IB points.

There is no way to accurately convert IB to A-levels. Even the UCAS point system, which is the most utilised, is tremendously flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It typically considered to be that AAB roughly equals 36 IB points.

There is no way to accurately convert IB to A-levels. Even the UCAS point system, which is the most utilised, is tremendously flawed.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I've achieved 33IB points (which is a bit lower than that).
    This sounds a bit ridiculous to me, how my High School grades can impact my applications to this extent, but I've heard people say that if you do not meet ALL requirements (including this one) one should not even bother applying to that firm.

What is your take on this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony I)
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I've achieved 33IB points (which is a bit lower than that).
    This sounds a bit ridiculous to me, how my High School grades can impact my applications to this extent, but I've heard people say that if you do not meet ALL requirements (including this one) one should not even bother applying to that firm.

What is your take on this?
    Firms have to look at A-level grades or equivalent as they are often recruiting interns with only one year's worth of university module results. Therefore have more than 9 months worth of academic achievement when they value intelligence a lot is important.

The issue of whether to bother applying very much depends on the firm in question. Look at how they word their expectations. "Applicants MUST have achieved...." is very different to "We would USUALLY expect applicants to have achieved".

Speak to the firms you want to apply to and get a gauge of what they think about your academics - it is much easier this way than making massive generalisations.

From my experience though, if your academics are below the usual expectations, you must ensure there is little to no question over the rest of your application form (work experience, extra curriculars, career motivation, how well it is written).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Speak to the firms you want to apply to and get a gauge of what they think about your academics - it is much easier this way than making massive generalisations.

From my experience though, if your academics are below the usual expectations, you must ensure there is little to no question over the rest of your application form (work experience, extra curriculars, career motivation, how well it is written).
    I see thank you, I know for sure that it won't work with US firms (since they are very elitist, also in picking people from only very top Uni's), but I will try to call the HR department of UK or International ones (asking for this condition)!

The fact is, that I suspect that no one will give me a straight answer like "no don't apply". I am afraid that firms will usually go with the "We look at everything on the application so give it a try approach", and then when the system does not record AAA on the app it automatically bins it.

I guess, there is no sure way to find out, it's just that at this point, I really do not want to waste anytime applying to firms I should not be applying to :/

Honestly, it is a bit frustrating. I have a good CV/Resume overall that is good (not excellent), but strong in every aspect, but I feel like my apps are not even reaching the top firms i'd like a TC with because of things like A-Level equivalents and not being in a Top 5 or famous uni
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The university "brand" issue is nowhere as bad as you are making out for most firms. Unless you are only looking at a very small number of US firms, with small intakes, your university name is going to be one of the last things that influences a decision on your application.

And any automatic rejection systems wouldn't automatically cut you out anyway where you have studied the IB. They are very rare anyway and where they do exist the systems are not sophisticated enough to pick up on alternative qualifications. The use of contextualised recruitment systems also means they are being used less and less.

You will be up against "excellent" candidates, so if you only feel your application is strong, think about how you can continue to improve it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.