The Student Room Group

CharityWorks 2017 - applying and advice?

Scroll to see replies

I haven't heard anything yet, though would we should hear by Friday.
Hopefully no news doesn't mean bad news!
I'm assuming you haven't heard back either?
Reply 21
I haven't heard anything either. I have sent them an email. Hopefully we will hear something back today
Reply 22
Still waiting too, haven't heard anything from them- I sent an email
I got an email that I made it to the assessment centre but three other people I know haven't got anything yet.
Reply 24
I got an email saying I didnt get through to the assessment centre but I've been placed on a waiting list so will find out by 8th June if a space has become available. Think that's such a strange response, anyone else get that?
Original post by cnisbet
I got an email saying I didnt get through to the assessment centre but I've been placed on a waiting list so will find out by 8th June if a space has become available. Think that's such a strange response, anyone else get that?

I received the same response, i guess we shall see
Reply 26
Not heard anything yet :frown:
I've still not heard from them, I thought for sure they would send something by 5pm :/
I got the wait list email too.. I'm not overly hopeful, although they said there had been 5000 applicants which sounds crazy!
Also I'm away from late may until july so it's likely I wouldn't be able to make the centre anyway, and I couldn't alter my plans for a maybe interview at the last minute!
Has anyone selected a assessment day in Birmingham?

Hope you guys hear something back soon!
Original post by Bornblue
I'm currently on the scheme now. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! I have been invited to the assessment centre! I'm so excited but also absolutely terrified - any thing I need to prepare in particular? Also what kind of group assessments do they do?
Congrats on being accepted!
Original post by kristinclaw
Hello! I have been invited to the assessment centre! I'm so excited but also absolutely terrified - any thing I need to prepare in particular? Also what kind of group assessments do they do?
Congrats on being accepted!

Hi.

Without giving too much away, when I did the assessment centre there was lots of group activities.

Make sure you know which sorts of organisations are on the programmme and be really clear about why you want a career in the charity sector.
Hi.

Without giving too much away, when I did the assessment centre there was lots of group activities.

Make sure you know which sorts of organisations are on the programmme and be really clear about why you want a career in the charity sector.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. Okay great. Could you give me an example of a group activity? Doesn't have to be one you did - I'm just most worried for the group stuff as I've never done that before.
Original post by kristinclaw
Hi! Thanks for your reply. Okay great. Could you give me an example of a group activity? Doesn't have to be one you did - I'm just most worried for the group stuff as I've never done that before.

One activity was, in a large group we had to decide on a charitable project for a local council, I think.

With all group activities they are looking for how you present your ideas, how you interact with one another etc. Make sure you don't speak over people and if there are others int he group not saying much then try and bring them into the discussion by asking them their opinion.
Hi, any tips on what the written assessment entails? It is a very vague description, and cover a lot of different types of written tests. I'm out of education for a while, and am a bit worried about how rusty I would be in a long written-exam type format! I'm guessing you're not allowed to share exactly what the assessment asked for, but what kind of thing can we expect? Cheers
Reply 35
Hi, i don't really know much about what will be at the assessment day. Has anyone received any more information about the activities? I know there is a written exercise group activities and interview but not much more!
I have been using the advice in this video: from 44 mins it talk about assessment centres. https://youtu.be/7r2WSV_buac

All it says about written exercise preperation is 'don't worry about them, should be able to deal with them'. I've done group assesment before, and obviously interviews, but its been a while since I had a written assessment, so I'm just a little curious as to what format it would be!.

A lot of the information is vague about what the day entails, but advice is mainly around being on top of how your profile fits the competencies etc.
Reply 37
OK thanks! Does anyone know if in the interview we are allowed to use examples from the application form we submitted , or is it better to come up with new ones?
Reply 38
I'm currently on the scheme now. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Bornblue,

Thanks for that - I'm getting way ahead of things here - positive thinking and all! - but for those who get through the final stage, did you need to be able to provide lots of references? Also, do you know whether there's any flexibility of a few days with the start date? (To allow time to finish current course, move etc).

Thanks very much,
M
Original post by MBaskets
Hi Bornblue,

Thanks for that - I'm getting way ahead of things here - positive thinking and all! - but for those who get through the final stage, did you need to be able to provide lots of references? Also, do you know whether there's any flexibility of a few days with the start date? (To allow time to finish current course, move etc).

Thanks very much,
M

Reference from tutor and one former employer will suffice.

Yes plenty of flexibility. Certainly any time within the first three weeks of September would be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending