Access to Medicine or Biomed as 5th UCAS choice?? Watch

Gwenog_quidditch
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello all,
I'm currently filling in my UCAS form and all that shizzle, and I don't have a clue what I should put down as my 5th uni/course choice for medicine... what course do you think would give me the best chance of becoming a doctor? Are you more likely to get into medicine after doing an access course or would a BSc in Biomedical Sciences or something be better? I can't really find much info online regarding this and I would be really grateful for some advice
Thank youuuu
Meg x
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm going to put down a biomed choice that allows you to transfer into medicine, like at Newcastle/SGUL. Seems like a good option if I mess up my a-levels
thtgreeneyedgirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As already mentioned, you could opt for biomed at Newcastle - they have info online about how many applicants from biomed were interviewed and obtained a place.

There's also a clinical science degree at Bradford which is accredited by the GMC. There's a foundation/year 0 route and standard degree entry, but each year Leeds medical school accepts 20 students each from year 0 and year 1 to transfer to medicine. I'm seriously considering this as my fifth option tbh (foundation - note you need to meet certain widening access requirements if you want to transfer to medicine from year 0).

More info on the course here: http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/medi...oklet_2015.pdf

Hope this helps a little!
Gwenog_quidditch
Rep:
?
(Original post by HopelessMedic)
I'm going to put down a biomed choice that allows you to transfer into medicine, like at Newcastle/SGUL. Seems like a good option if I mess up my a-levels
Thank you, Newcastle sounds very promising!
Gwenog_quidditch
Rep:
?
(Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl)
As already mentioned, you could opt for biomed at Newcastle - they have info online about how many applicants from biomed were interviewed and obtained a place.

There's also a clinical science degree at Bradford which is accredited by the GMC. There's a foundation/year 0 route and standard degree entry, but each year Leeds medical school accepts 20 students each from year 0 and year 1 to transfer to medicine. I'm seriously considering this as my fifth option tbh (foundation - note you need to meet certain widening access requirements if you want to transfer to medicine from year 0).

More info on the course here: http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/medi...oklet_2015.pdf

Hope this helps a little!
Tysm, I'll definitely look into that!!
thtgreeneyedgirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
Tysm, I'll definitely look into that!!
Glad I could help
Alan1980
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've just started medicine after doing an access course last year. They aren't designed to be intermediate steps, more like an alternative starting step for mature people. If you're fresh out of A-levels a college would likely to take you on to study one but unis won't like your application until have a few years experience elsewhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?