Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I'm currently filling in my UCAS form and all that shizzle, and I don't have a clue what I should put down as my 5th uni/course choice for medicine... what course do you think would give me the best chance of becoming a doctor? Are you more likely to get into medicine after doing an access course or would a BSc in Biomedical Sciences or something be better? I can't really find much info online regarding this and I would be really grateful for some advice
    Thank youuuu
    Meg x

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to put down a biomed choice that allows you to transfer into medicine, like at Newcastle/SGUL. Seems like a good option if I mess up my a-levels

ReputationRep:
    As already mentioned, you could opt for biomed at Newcastle - they have info online about how many applicants from biomed were interviewed and obtained a place.

There's also a clinical science degree at Bradford which is accredited by the GMC. There's a foundation/year 0 route and standard degree entry, but each year Leeds medical school accepts 20 students each from year 0 and year 1 to transfer to medicine. I'm seriously considering this as my fifth option tbh (foundation - note you need to meet certain widening access requirements if you want to transfer to medicine from year 0).

More info on the course here: http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/medi...oklet_2015.pdf

Hope this helps a little!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    I'm going to put down a biomed choice that allows you to transfer into medicine, like at Newcastle/SGUL. Seems like a good option if I mess up my a-levels
    Thank you, Newcastle sounds very promising!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl)
    As already mentioned, you could opt for biomed at Newcastle - they have info online about how many applicants from biomed were interviewed and obtained a place.

There's also a clinical science degree at Bradford which is accredited by the GMC. There's a foundation/year 0 route and standard degree entry, but each year Leeds medical school accepts 20 students each from year 0 and year 1 to transfer to medicine. I'm seriously considering this as my fifth option tbh (foundation - note you need to meet certain widening access requirements if you want to transfer to medicine from year 0).

More info on the course here: http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/medi...oklet_2015.pdf

Hope this helps a little!
    Tysm, I'll definitely look into that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
    Tysm, I'll definitely look into that!!
    Glad I could help

ReputationRep:
    I've just started medicine after doing an access course last year. They aren't designed to be intermediate steps, more like an alternative starting step for mature people. If you're fresh out of A-levels a college would likely to take you on to study one but unis won't like your application until have a few years experience elsewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.