I feel terrible...

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, so here's a shortened version of my issue.
    I got into a relationship with a close friend I met at uni a few weeks ago, however, I don't really want to be with him. He's an amazing guy, but I just don't feel ready for a relationship right now. I feel like it's too early to end it, but I don't want to prolong something that won't work. I feel like a horrible person, what should I do?

Also, I should add. We (along with some other friends) were planning to live together in our second year. I don't want to ruin the chance of having that purely because I can't deal with my own feelings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Effie14)
    I got into a relationship with a close friend I met at uni a few weeks ago, however, I don't really want to be with him. He's an amazing guy, but I just don't feel ready for a relationship right now. I feel like it's too early to end it, but I don't want to prolong something that won't work. I feel like a horrible person, what should I do?

Also, I should add. We (along with some other friends) were planning to live together in our second year. I don't want to ruin the chance of having that purely because I can't deal with my own feelings.
    If I'm not misunderstanding, it is not too late to rethink who you are living with, unless you've signed a contract...

If you don't feel ready and being in a relationship makes you feel uneasy, just explain that to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If I'm not misunderstanding, it is not too late to rethink who you are living with, unless you've signed a contract...

If you don't feel ready and being in a relationship makes you feel uneasy, just explain that to him.
    That's true, but (selfishly albeit) I don't want to be excluded from the group as they are my closest friends by far. I know this is selfish of me, but I really enjoy being around them, and we all get on well.

I also worry about his feelings. He really seems to like me when I just can't deal with the whole thing. I'm his first girlfriend, and I don't want to ruin the concept of dating for him because of my emotional issues.

Just talk to him sooner rather than later.

Be honest and tell him you like him, but you dont feel ready for a relationship and wnated to tell him now as soon as you realised. You cna do the classic its not you its me talk. End it and you are done.

Tell him you hope this doesnt end things as you being friends.. Bit early to be planning who you will be moving out with in second year imo.

ReputationRep:
    That's true, but (selfishly albeit) I don't want to be excluded from the group as they are my closest friends by far. I know this is selfish of me, but I really enjoy being around them, and we all get on well.

I also worry about his feelings. He really seems to like me when I just can't deal with the whole thing. I'm his first girlfriend, and I don't want to ruin the concept of dating for him because of my emotional issues.
    Very noble of you but at the same time you can't suffer and be something that you don't want to be. The longer you let it go on as well, the worse it might get in terms of a fall out.

:dontknow: maybe you can try to keep it an amicable break up as possible to stay in the group..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Very noble of you but at the same time you can't suffer and be something that you don't want to be. The longer you let it go on as well, the worse it might get in terms of a fall out.

:dontknow: maybe you can try to keep it an amicable break up as possible to stay in the group..
    Thanks, I'll try to just say how I feel in a kind and honest way. If he dislikes me afterwards, I'm fine with it I guess. I just feel bad for hurting him.

Thanks to both of you for your kind support, you've helped a lot! And you guys are right, I might not even move in with them.

Thanks again!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.