Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I dont know what to do with my life Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically i'm in my first week of university and I realised it wasn't for me straight away, I really want to drop out but feel like i should have a plan on what I would do straight after dropping out, as i'm sure my mum + family would be slightly dissapointed and might make me worry even more if it wasn't planned etc. I feel like i never really wanted to go to university, i just assumed i fit the criteria ( i do like learning and studying and can work hard) and I feel like i was in denial about it not being for me. I know that my family just want to be happy, and that's all i want. Thing is i have no idea what career path i want to follow, should i do an apprenticeship? I only have food/retail experience so i know that i probably dont want to work in those sectors and probably office work but I have no idea what career would utilise my skills. I feel like i am just so eager to get stuck into a career, but i want to know the best route.

Background info, but a bit long sorry:

So a bit of background to me I have always enjoyed maths and finished with A levels in Maths (A*), Further Maths (A*) and Physics (A) a year ago. (I have always struggled with confidence issues so I wouldn't say i'm amazing at maths even if i was) but I genuinely believe that I achieved my grades MOSTLY due to my hard work. I worked my butt off for A levels just because I knew that i would be happy with whatever grade i achieved if i did. I enjoyed doing work, especially getting stuck into maths and solving problems and I wasn't too bad at it so that made it easier.However when it came to applying for university i had no clue what i wanted to do. I considered Mechanical Engineering and Maths for subjects and decided on Mechanical Engineering just because the career path seemed more exciting, but i would say i realised that my heart wasn't in it throughout the process. I wasn't bothered in going to open days or anything like that. In the end I only even applied to two universities , just because they all looked the same to me. I must admit that the thought of not going to university crossed my mind, but I shrugged it off. Everyone around me just assumed i would go to university because i was very academic, and to be honest i don't really have good social skills because i am a bit of an introvert (only a little) so going straight into a career and working my way up seemed a little daunting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user1123)
    x
    Maybe you should give it more time as the first few weeks of uni are a little hectic with freshers and everything, plus you probably feel slightly anxious about leaving home and all that. After a few weeks most people should have stopped partying and everyone around you will be working hard plus youll get over the initial nerves of moving away from home.

I would personally give it until halloween and see from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user1123)
    Basically i'm in my first week of university and I realised it wasn't for me straight away, I really want to drop out but feel like i should have a plan on what I would do straight after dropping out, as i'm sure my mum + family would be slightly dissapointed and might make me worry even more if it wasn't planned etc. I feel like i never really wanted to go to university, i just assumed i fit the criteria ( i do like learning and studying and can work hard) and I feel like i was in denial about it not being for me. I know that my family just want to be happy, and that's all i want. Thing is i have no idea what career path i want to follow, should i do an apprenticeship? I only have food/retail experience so i know that i probably dont want to work in those sectors and probably office work but I have no idea what career would utilise my skills. I feel like i am just so eager to get stuck into a career, but i want to know the best route.

Background info, but a bit long sorry:

So a bit of background to me I have always enjoyed maths and finished with A levels in Maths (A*), Further Maths (A*) and Physics (A) a year ago. (I have always struggled with confidence issues so I wouldn't say i'm amazing at maths even if i was) but I genuinely believe that I achieved my grades MOSTLY due to my hard work. I worked my butt off for A levels just because I knew that i would be happy with whatever grade i achieved if i did. I enjoyed doing work, especially getting stuck into maths and solving problems and I wasn't too bad at it so that made it easier.However when it came to applying for university i had no clue what i wanted to do. I considered Mechanical Engineering and Maths for subjects and decided on Mechanical Engineering just because the career path seemed more exciting, but i would say i realised that my heart wasn't in it throughout the process. I wasn't bothered in going to open days or anything like that. In the end I only even applied to two universities , just because they all looked the same to me. I must admit that the thought of not going to university crossed my mind, but I shrugged it off. Everyone around me just assumed i would go to university because i was very academic, and to be honest i don't really have good social skills because i am a bit of an introvert (only a little) so going straight into a career and working my way up seemed a little daunting.
    Have you considered swapping courses to something more vocational? As I understand it most civil engineering and mechanical engineering courses focus on mathematics for the first two years and only really introduce the bulk of the engineering principles in third year.

A useful exercise for you to do is to list off what you dislike about uni, and what you like about it. Otherwise write down a list of things which you would like the next few years to be like; doesn't have to be specific, it could be things like work outdoors sometimes, no manual labour, open office space, includes technical design etc.

Once you have a good list like that you can speak to your uni careers service (seriously underestimated and super helpful for situations exactly like this) and they can offer some really useful advice and guidance. If uni isn't for you they will explain the options available as well as careers which you might like or may have not considered based on what you want out of like (however vague or specific you've been).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geolowiser)
    Have you considered swapping courses to something more vocational? As I understand it most civil engineering and mechanical engineering courses focus on mathematics for the first two years and only really introduce the bulk of the engineering principles in third year.

A useful exercise for you to do is to list off what you dislike about uni, and what you like about it. Otherwise write down a list of things which you would like the next few years to be like; doesn't have to be specific, it could be things like work outdoors sometimes, no manual labour, open office space, includes technical design etc.

Once you have a good list like that you can speak to your uni careers service (seriously underestimated and super helpful for situations exactly like this) and they can offer some really useful advice and guidance. If uni isn't for you they will explain the options available as well as careers which you might like or may have not considered based on what you want out of like (however vague or specific you've been).
    user123 also, TSR is a great platform for these things, but without knowing your priorities and desires advice will be very general. You could gain a lot from talking this through with the careers service (usually entirely confidential) or your personal tutor at uni. Like the person above me mentioned it is also worth giving it a little more time, freshers week sucks for people who aren't into partying and fancy dress costumes and as you mentioned you're a little more introverted than extroverted once it calms down it's an entirely different atmosphere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.