Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Working while studying medicine?

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it to have a job while studying medicine? I'd imagine in the first couple of years it would be fine but what about when you're having placements here, there and everywhere?

This is unfortunately a deal breaker for me as I can't actually afford to go to uni if I don't work throughout the year. Has anyone else been in this situation before?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ Smiley)
    How hard is it to have a job while studying medicine? I'd imagine in the first couple of years it would be fine but what about when you're having placements here, there and everywhere?

This is unfortunately a deal breaker for me as I can't actually afford to go to uni if I don't work throughout the year. Has anyone else been in this situation before?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    From talking to students at work (and looking on TSR), the general consensus is that it is easier (but not easy) to work during non-clinical years due to the timetable. It's once you start doing hospital shifts from third year I've been told it becomes difficult. One way around it is joining the NHS bank or even NHSP? You could work as a HCA or admin and pick and choose shifts to fit around your studies. I think you only need to do one shift within a 6 month period for NHSP and it pays better than retail or bar work!

ReputationRep:
    Could you not defer your place and work in your gap year to save up?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.